Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's face it, if the world's systems go kaboom we will have to use nature to help our gardens out. No more miracle-gro, no more Sevin or all those other time saving chemicals.

Perhaps we could all share some organic tips/things not to do that would help feed our families.

Ok, maybe not completely organic, but what other household items could be used in this situation?

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Let's face it, if the world's systems go kaboom we will have to use nature to help our gardens out. No more miracle-gro, no more Sevin or all those other time saving chemicals.

Perhaps we could all share some organic tips/things not to do that would help feed our families.

Ok, maybe not completely organic, but what other household items could be used in this situation?
Horse manure is all I use. I don't have pest problems so sevin isn't needed.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
compost....I throw all the vege scraps and trimmings in a huge compost heap with grass clippings etc. Some of the richest soil I have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
For those who don't have space for a garden, check out the Garden Patch Growbox, or the Earthbox (similar ideas, but I think the Earthbox comes on casters for easier movement).

Basically, you fill them with nutrient-rich dirt, fill the base with water, and plant on top. The base of water keeps the plants watered, and you've got a small, portable garden.

I'm trying them for the first time this year, and have already gotten a bunch of zucchini, a few strawberries, and have a bunch of squash getting ready for harvest. Hopefully the beans and cucumbers have some time to pop out before it gets too cold (I had to start late in the year)...but all of that from 2 of these boxes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I started small last year with the thought my wife wouldn't think I'm prepping. Started by borrowing the square foot gardener from the library. Done right you can get quite a bit from a space most people can manage easily. Compost, went on line and found some plans for bins (home owner association) can't just make a pile. Did the BOM (bill of materials) and when I got North of $60 bucks stopped and thought of alternatives.. Had them hold some pallets at work and then used the sawzall. Took about 2 hours and $17 dollars for "garden cloth" (heavy screen) and hinges. The money I saved on construction and lawn bags went to ammo. Takes a little to get it cooking right but once you get the hang of managing it only takes a couple of minutes while I'm out checking the garden. Like just about anything it takes practice. Start small and figure it out. (Neighbor put together a large garden and it looks like CA where they turned off the water, just didn't do the work)

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed the coffee shop in town is giving away old grounds to gardeners, anyone used it? Seems like it would make a good filler and shouldn't compact tremendously.

On another note, I have been having some issues with black rot on my tomatoes. I got the bright idea to add in some milk with my daily watering...success!

bye bye black rot :devilsidesmile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts