Original 995 - NEW Accessories

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by LongShotMfg, Jul 3, 2014.

1. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

Soon to be released....Bottom Rail and Side Rails for the Original Hi-Point 995.

Finally, owners of the Original Hi-Point 995 will be able to upgrade their carbines with additional functions and accessories for those flimsy old stocks.

Each of these new rails are secured to the plastic stock via internally placed aluminum nut plates. Photos shown are the initial prototypes only, and are depicted on an mock-up, incomplete 995 9mm carbine.

After we send out a few for field tests and user feedback, they will be marketed on both Ebay and our company website, www.LongShotMfg.com.

Please provide us with your comments, as we really want some initial feedback before we start producing these rails for sale.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I'm just not feeling it?

Attached Files:

3. Geezer

Geezer Junior Member Member

I'm not a fan of hanging stuff off of my guns. That said, those things look soooo much out of place on that 995. Maybe if the ends were rounded off a little and not so square and blocky. Try to make them look like they were made for the gun and not just an afterthought.

4. MachoMelvin

Taper the ends & maybe black would blend in a little better?
    But thanks for thinking of us HPer's!

5. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

We agree with you on the looks. Problem is, there are no more ATI conversion stocks to be had and, there are 995 owners that might really want to be able to add some accessories to their carbine that up till now, could not. The ATI stocks make the 995 downright cool. The new items for the Original 995 stock are not made to look good, but rather to add a bit more function. We are going to do a couple of complete hydrographic camo dips soon and then see how the gun and the new rails look when all tied together in a scheme. The brushed aluminum rails in the photos are left that way on purpose so as to call attention to something being new on the gun. Personally, I don't find the look appealing, but if a certain accessory added on makes a positive difference in stopping an intruder, I would choose function over looks any day. But that is just my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  6. nice!Would a foregrip work on that?

7. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

I like the suggestions! I'm taking them to the big boss (husband) asap and let's see what he says.

8. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

WillWork4Ammo:

Lemme get back to you with that...I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, and that's one of the good reasons to have that bottom rail. I know we're thinking of color schemes like camo, and all of our other parts are also produced in black painted or black anodized.

9. MachoMelvin

Will the top rail will fit both the TS & ATI stocks also? Is it available in black now?
    I will tell the wife it's ALL your guy's fault on this next HP build!

10. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

MachoMelvin:

We do make the TS & ATI top rails, also. Is this a one-size-fits-all? I need to ask. You gentlemen are giving me a one-stop education in HP's! Tell the wife she can cry on MY shoulder. I feel her pain. But think of how happy you'll be with the new build!

11. MachoMelvin

The holes in the top of the receiver shroud are all the same on all the HP carbines, I believe? The length may be the varible?

12. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

TOP rails are NOT interchangeable between TS models and 995 or 9mm w/ATI stocks. Our 6.1" long TOP rail will mount on the receiver shroud for all 995 9mm models, HOWEVER, it will NOT work on the 995TS because there would be no way to secure the top part of the plastic stock fore end to the gun. For the 995TS, 4095TS and 4595TS, you would need to use one of our longer rails.....either our 11" rail or one of our full length rails...14.4" long for 995TS and 15.4" long for 4095TS & 4595TS.

13. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

Yes. A fore grip should work fine. The older 995 stocks are pretty flimsy, but we are going to put one together with a grip added and fling it around a bit to determine how well it should hold up. Ideal accessories for the bottom rail would be laser, flashlight, bipod, etc.
    j.

14. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

Yes. A fore grip should work fine. The older 995 stocks are pretty flimsy, but we are going to put one together with a grip added and fling it around a bit to determine how well it should hold up. Ideal accessories for the bottom rail would be laser, flashlight, bipod, etc.
    j.

15. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

Yes. The hole patterns are exactly the same. The 9mm models also have a shorter length receiver shroud.
    j.

16. panoz77

panoz77 Member

The top rail is too thick (hence a little too high IMO). IMO, most people are just looking for an affordable billet short top rail or full length rail, the original rail is just lacking. The side rails can be purchased anywhere and made to work with just a little bit of work, the bottom rail just won't have much demand IMO.

17. Geezer

Geezer Junior Member Member

The cost will be a factor, too. A new TS stock csn be bought for not much money and they have capability to attach stuff built right in.

18. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

We are going to be offering some newly designed LOW profile rails pretty soon. The rail in the photos measures .550" in height. We are thinking to offer some as low as .250" -.300" high. Metal removal releases stress, so maintaining overall flatness is critical. We presently work to maintain a max of .002" in overall flatness over lengths up to 16". Low profile rails make it a lot more time consuming to maintain flatness.

Maybe there will be a small interested market for these rails, and maybe there won't. Gotta try to find out.
    j.

19. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

Cost is ALWAYS a factor, yes. The new TS stocks are MUCH better than the old 995 stocks, true. However, I am fine with lightweight plastic stocks....but plastic rails make very little sense. Once they warm up from the heat of the gun, their accuracy diminishes. When plastic stocks heat up, they soften and change shape too. The trick is to minimize dependability on areas that change, and place your dependency on the areas of the gun that remain constant. IMO, that is pretty important. The TS stocks are much better, but there are limits as to what you can expect from them.

We recently made our first prototype shroud/rail combo and sent it out to an HP user for some field tests. The rail is mounted to the bottom of the shroud. Our thoughts are that if a laser is mounted on a lower rail out at the end of the barrel, that when the barrel heats up and begins to change shape due to heat, the rail/laser should follow the alignment of the barrel. Heat rises, so the laser should remain fairly safe from heat due to being mounted beneath the barrel instead of over top of it. The only issue I see that could present a problem would be the shock force from the rounds being fired. We haven't gotten any feedback on the prototype yet but we hope to hear something soon. Anyway, this something for another future post. Sorry to ramble on.
    j.

20. I like the look of the lower rail on the old stock. Any idea when it might be available and what the price will be?

I believe you mentioned a lower profile top rail in the works, any idea when that might be available? The top rail, as someone mentioned, is blocky and doesn't fit in on the 995. It just looks out of place. If it was lower and contoured to fit in with the little up sweep or curves of the area where it mounts it would look a lot better in my opinion.