Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK having bought a hipoint .45 pretty much on my own because I liked it and it has surpassed my expectations...I have some questions about others. Jimenez, cobra couple others...all I see is they are junk..junk..junk. Now is this true? or like I found with hi point most naysayers never even fired one? I wouldn't mind one of the smaller .380s or .32's but I hesitate to go looking on the "pot metal" junk I keep hearing particularly on Jimenez which is referred to as jennings/bryco remant and therefore bad for some reason? Anybody have experience with any of the other sub $200 "bargain" guns?

·
Registered
76 Posts
not much personal experience outside of holding one at the gun shop, but it felt decently made to me, and they are also an american manufacturer with a lifetime warranty, although from what I gather, they are a little more reluctant to do warranty work then HP. It seems like they all have issues out of the box, but if you are good with the buffer on your dremmel, and willing to put the time in, they can become pretty reliable guns....

Dave

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Take a look at surplus 9mm Makarov pistols. The PA-63, CZ-82, P-64 or a Makarov can all be had for less than $200.00. They are all well made and very reliable. The ammo is easy to get and runs a lot less than 380 or 32 right now.

Ron M.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
most surplus guns under 200$ are a steal. good quality for less. yes the jiminez guns work but longevity is a serious problem there. they just dont hold up to sustained use. they work fine, just not for long. Ron M. had good suggestions plus haunt sites like centerfire, J&G and AIMsurplus to find good deals.

SW

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a bryco.380 and its on its last leg .. Was shoting it the other day and had two jams. Didn't think nothing bout it till I was cleaning it . The are where the barrel mounts to the frame has two small cracks .. I need to get it looked at to see if its still safe to shoot .. But for now its my back-ups back-up in the night stand .. Can't put the gun down being the only one I've ever had , but heard alot of similar stories .

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I picked up a jimenezarms 380 at a gun show a few months back. I took it to the range and tried it out. First impression was bad bad gun, fire..FTE...jack with it, fire...FTE, jack with it, fire...FTE, can you see where I'm going? I then fired several other guns I took and had some fun. I spent some time with it on the bench at home and got it ejecting and it now shoots alot better. Once in a while the slide doesn't rack all the way forward after it ejects a spent round and it just goes click but I thinks that's because it's tight and new. There is also a problem with what the gun will eat, the mag only likes round FMJ's like blazers, try some winchester that are flat on the end or any JHP's and it hangs up in the mag and never make it to the feed ramp...bummer. I've been looking around and I've found a few other people with the same problem but no fix.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input all, sounds like with some reading and time the Jimenez etc can be brought up performance wise, but surplus may be the way to go. Although I still want a small concealable firearm just to have and also maybe for the wife to shoot. I will keep pondering, thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts