Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For one reason or another, some of us are unable or unwilling to get CCW permits. Whether we be underage, not allowed to have a CCW for some reason, or just unwilling to go through the time and expense, we're not going to be carrying a handgun. However, what are some other options we have for self-defense?

I, for example, am at college in Texas. The campus I'm at is relatively safe, however "da hood" is basically a stone's throw from the edge of campus, and several robberies etc have been reported. Any ideas for effective self-defense I can carry without legal trouble?

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
I don't know on this one, I usually have a knife on me somewhere, perhaps a flashlight with an aggressive bezel...the problem with other concealed weapons besides firearms is that the work is going to be close and I would suggest you know what you're doing with the weapon you do choose. Not saying you aren't knowledgeable I don't know your training just saying you should be. I think the best thing would be to get one of those Kimber personal pepper blasters they have good range and a pretty powerful chem mix from what I've read.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
one guy on here suggested carrying a can of wasp/hornet spray in a plastic walmart bag or whatever you carry your books,laptop, etc in.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Well...if you're resourceful you can come up with weapons even under 21. I've had a pistol since I was 17 or 18. Yeah it's not legal...but carrying illegally kept me from getting robbed and/or killed once when I was in Huntsville. I came out of the bathroom and there was either 4 or 5 hispanic fellows with knives blocking the hall. That little Lorcin .25 was enough to run them off before I GTFO of that mall. I know I would have gotten in trouble if I had to use it, but shoot man, it's worth it if it keeps you alive. I got my permit the day I turned 21 as soon as the courthouse opened, but unfortunately criminals don't check to make sure you are 21 before trying to rob or otherwise injure you. I hate that I can't get my fiance a pistol yet, but she carries that Fox Labs pepper spray around with her all the time so at least that helps.

A legal alternative though, would be to carry some hardcore pepper spray. I generally carry a 4oz can of Fox Labs pepper spray around with me. It's as hot as you can get it, and believe me, it freaking hurts. I had some in my pocket while I was being searched before going into a concert one time and the security guard hit the top and sprayed a little bit on my leg. It burned for dang near 45 minutes, and it freaking hurt too.

Also, get a good knife or one of those collapsible batons and keep that with you.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Knives over a certain length and "billy clubs" or "saps" are illegal to carry in most states. Objects with only one use like an expandable baton would be illegal. Texas I would assume to be more lenient than others, but you need to research state law to be sure.

I always carry a large folder pocketknife as a daily use tool, if carrying for defense I would get the largest legal size. Impact "weapons" are generally classed under an illegal billy club, but a 3 or 4 cell maglight is a flashlight. It makes a nice dent in a skull. The chain and padlock you carry to lock up your bicycle can also put the hurt on somebody. The smaller AA cell and lithium powered "tactical lights" can also be used to inflict pain, but generally require some skill to employ effectively. Also requires you to get close. OTOH, a bright flash of light in someone's eyes does blind them for a short while.

There are also "less lethal" weapons like pepper spray and TASERs. Again, some states ban or license them.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Or carry around a spray bottle full of boiled linseed oil and a lighter... Someone starts messing with you just spray em down and light em up lol.

Disclaimer: please don't actually try that, but it would be freaking epic.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
If you choose to go with pepper spray, Fox Labs is suppossed to be the the most effective. A bandanna (tied like you're gonna wear it around your head) with a heavy padlock on it will really ruin someones day. You could just put it in your back pocket, and pull it out when needed and swing at the target. A ball peen hammer, Stanley FUBAR or large D cell Maglite would work great for open carry.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd been thinking of a fixed-blade knife as long as can be legally carried... Maybe at the small of my back behind my belt. While I agree with Mason in principle, I'm sticking to legal options, since I'm at college and likely to get busted anyway, and I would catch HELL for getting busted... I think my parents would disown me! I might invest in a Kimber PepperBlater, even if they are expensive for pepper spray. Any other tips?

Oh, also, I never liked the idea of a folding knife... It's like, "Hey, hold on Mr. Mugger, let me just fish out my folding knife... And now let me pull it open... just a sec... Alright, now let's go!"

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
My"carry knife" is an assisted opening Kershaw, clips into my pocket and snaps open with a flick of the thumb. As fast as a switchblade, but legal (for now).

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
In my state brass knuckles ARE legal, contrary to popular opinion, though many cops don't know this, but thats what I carry, I've had to use them twice, and both times, they've worked pretty well. First time two guys tried to jump me in the parking lot after I cashed my check, and I got one in the jaw and he just stumbled back and dropped. His buddy helped him up and they ran. Second time was with me and my friend, and my friend had just dumped his psycho ex, and she had 3 dudes go after him. Solid blow to the ribs handled one, while hitting another in the jaw handled him and scared the third one off.

Now, I won't lie, they hurt your hand, and dont be an idiot and punch a tree or a fridge to see what kind of damage you can do, you'll break your hand. People give, trees and what not don't.

Here is a link to the ones I have. They sell them as belt buckles since they are illegal in a lot of states, but its just a screw, so if they're legal where you are, just take the screw out.

http://www.brassknucklescompany.com/CRE/vintage-boxers-bare-knuckles-brass-knuckles-p-361.html

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did some research... According to the 2008 Penal Code, as long as it's a one-sided blade (not a "dagger"), doesn't have a clip point ("Bowie knife"), and is under 5.5 inches, I'm in the clear - A 5-inch, single-edged straight blade would be a tool, not an illegal weapon.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Just curious here Branth this whole thread got me thinking...I'm sure in texas it's not a problem, probably not where i live either but do you think different legalities come into play if you take a legal to own and carry weapon and then conceal it? I mean I can buy and own a gun here in my state and even open carry but if I carried concealed without a permit then I'm in violation do you think the same applies with knives, knuckles etc.? I never really considered other weapons as concealed carry just worried if they were legal or not..now I'm wondering.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just curious here Branth this whole thread got me thinking...I'm sure in texas it's not a problem, probably not where i live either but do you think different legalities come into play if you take a legal to own and carry weapon and then conceal it? I mean I can buy and own a gun here in my state and even open carry but if I carried concealed without a permit then I'm in violation do you think the same applies with knives, knuckles etc.? I never really considered other weapons as concealed carry just worried if they were legal or not..now I'm wondering.
I'd say definitely. I'm no legal expert, but concealed weapons appeared to be a whole different class of weapons in the penal code. You could own, say, a Bowie knife and keep it at your house (ditto with dagger, club, etc) and be perfectly legal, but if you stuff it in your belt and run around with it, you break the law.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
I'd say definitely. I'm no legal expert, but concealed weapons appeared to be a whole different class of weapons in the penal code. You could own, say, a Bowie knife and keep it at your house (ditto with dagger, club, etc) and be perfectly legal, but if you stuff it in your belt and run around with it, you break the law.
Ok so that is what I was wondering about you said if you keep it under 5.5 and it's not a dagger etc. you're in the clear. But, are you still in the clear if you aren't carrying that knife openly and produce it from concealment to defend yourself? This is an interesting gray area of the law I never thought about.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's the 2007-2008 penal code... Check out 46.13 - "Places weapons prohibited"
http://www.texaspolicecentral.com/Penal_Code.pdf

It says you are in trouble if you have a "firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon."

Prohibited weapons are stiff like switchblades, knuckles, zip guns, etc. Illegal knives are knives that are over 5.5 inches, are daggers, etc. Apparently, you're allowed to carry aforementioned 5-inch straight blade at educational institutions and such, so you should be able to carry it anywhere. There's no language in there that addresses concealed or open. I misunderstood your question to mean carrying it around with you as opposed to keeping it in your home - I can keep my katana at the house, but I can't walk around a college campus with it (Though interestingly, I haven't seen anything that says I can't carry it around town with me... :devilsidesmile:)

Edited to include link

1 - 20 of 40 Posts