other groups freaking me out!!!

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by RedBird94, Mar 6, 2015.

1. RedBird94

RedBird94 Member

I belong to a couple of reloading groups on FaceBook. Recently the discussion has turned to primer detonation. A couple of chain reaction events from people using reloading devices. I will be doing 1 at a time on my Lee classic Turret, until I get the safety prime tool. How common is this? I had never heard of it before.:confused:

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

It is not very common, but nothing is idiot proof. You would really have to work at detonating the primers. I preferred the Lee auto prime tool when I was reloading. It had a good feel and with a bit of practice you feel when the primer is properly seated.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have never had a primer detonate. I have always loaded primers by hand one at the time until the last couple of years when I started using a Lee safety prime on my turret press. I have loaded a ton of cartridges with the Lee Loader, and even loaded shotshells using the nail and dowell method. the next time it may happen, but so far it hasn't.

Follow manufacturer instructions and you should be good.

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I have the safety prime on my Lee turret like greg does. I'm still green to the world of reloading, but I have a couple thousand rounds under my belt AND I still have all my fingers.

5. inglwud59

inglwud59 Member

I use a Lee hand primer and do one at a time you can feel the primer set when you squeeze the handle and keep an eye on it so they don't double stack. Been lucky so far no fires.

6. bluharley

bluharley Member

When I was about 8, I took the primer out of a 12ga shotgun shell. Positioned it on some pliers on my bed, and took a hammer and punch to it. Sounded like a .22. Blew a hole through my bedspread and sheet. My dad was watching tv, it got his attention. He came in and asked what was going on, I said "nothing!" He looked around, whiffed the air, grinned and turned around and left, closing the door behind him. Kids!

7. tincup

tincup Member

Primers are sensitive by the very nature of their construction and purpose. I have refused to use the Lee "Hammer tools" just due to having one of the first primers I ever tried to seat in one detonate. If it had been the "crimping stage" I would be minus a hand.

I use the Le Autoprime tools and have for 30 years, since that first detonation. I find it faster and more consistent in seating the primers, which adds to accuracy in rifle loads and safety in autopisto loads.

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Subbing for opinions and info ;)

9. RedBird94

RedBird94 Member

thinking I will get a safety prime asap. Made 30 rounds of Hi Point food today. Being very slow and careful. measure each one till I'm sure everything is set right. 10 each 230 lead round nose, 10 200 lead round nose and 10 230 FMJ. O A L varies from 1.695 to 1.71. not too bad.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    How did it pop?

I use one of those for the few 7mm Mauser rounds I need. Me and several thousand others have never had a problem with them.;)

11. tincup

tincup Member

It popped when I seated the primer in the empty case. It was a 9mmL set and I am very glad I was not loading shotgun shells!

As I stated, had it been the crimping stage I would be minus a hand.

I really do not care if you and thousands of others have never had a problem, I had one. It may not be popular to go against the trend, but that is just the way I am. When something blows up in my face once I have a rule. "Don't do that again!"

Either the primer was over sensitive, the spring loaded seating station malfunctioned or there was residue in the seating plunger.

It popped and my hand was holding the insert which is hammered into the case to seat the primer. I was lucky, I just got a good burn and some bad bruising.

I only have two hands and do not wish to part with either of them just to save a couple of bucks and skip buying a proper press.

I ordered my first real press soon after that incident and have not used a "mallet dependent" reloading system since then.

12. It's common enough the people put 'blast shields' on them. Reloading is the safest when one expects what is unlikely to happen, will be the vary next thing that does happen.

13. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    I had about 25 large magnum rifle primers explode in a Hornaday hand held priming tool. Didn't feel any different than the first 75. Sent plastic flying at least 50 feet. Luckily I had my safety glasses on.

I do one at a time now on my single stage.

14. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Most common reasons I can think of would be primer not placed right, debris, maybe the crimp not removed from a military case, using the wrong rod to tap in the primer. . In any case, with the Lee tool, except for the priming process, you never come into contact with the primer if it is used properly.

I have loaded I don't know how many shotshells using the Nail and Dowell method. Never set off a primer there either.

I have had issues using "progressive" priming systems. I have had primers flip sideways or even completely upside down. I prefer to prime one at a time. My favorite priming tool is the discontinued RCBS bench mounted priming tool. My second favorite is a ram prime system, especially when used in the Lee Hand Press. I love the feel I get with it.

FWIW, I have not had any problems with the Lee Safety prime. I like the fact that the primer reservoir is away from where the actual priming takes place.

I have never used any style of hand priming tool. I just do not like the idea of having a bunch of primers in my hand if there should be a mishap.

I may watch TV while doing case prep, but when the primers or powder comes out and the actual loading begins, it's all about that. If something else catches my interest, I stop reloading.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's REALLY hard to argue against that...:D

Spring loaded? What's that? Mine is a solid chunk of metal.:confused:

16. Hot-Shot

Hot-Shot Member

Lee hand primer

I use the hand primer you seem to have better control
    my press mounted auto prime would some times send
    primers upside down or sideways.

17. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

When I was on the Air Force Skeet Team I must have reloaded a couple hundred thousand shotshells (12,20,28 and 410) and never once had a primer go boom. I used the MEC Progressive loaders. When you load that many shells, you start looking at certain things autonomically. Primers for sure are on that list. Also cleaning your powder tube. Every once and a while a primer would flip over and you would automatically catch it. If not, you would have a heck of a mess on your hands. :eek:

18. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

I have had numerous primers detonate using the Lee hammer tools set up. First time it scared me, but as long as you keep your fingers at the end of the bar, no harm is done. That said, I've decided to abandon that method and buy a primer seating die.

19. noylj

noylj Member

The stories are that one takes the primer filler tube and pours the primers into the priming tube and one primer is some how set off and goes boom.
    I have been using filler tubes and primer tubes for 40 years and never had an issue. Keep the tubes clean and be sure you don't pick up anything except primers.

20. Ditto. I also quit if I think I'm not going fast enough.