Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do anything else for fun and relaxation? I race RC cars with my son. Here is a vid of a typical race.

Thinking seriously about getting out of that hobby, and into this one deeper.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Will BBQ (low and slow) anything. Do about 1500# of pork each year. Use a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker with a BBQ Guru temp controller. Also do a lot of dutch oven cooking and cast iron gumbo and jambalaya cooking. Make my own bacon. Camp and trailride with my 2 mules.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Mr. Broom,

Your probably healthier for not having had it but damn it's tasty. Hopefully I can make it to a Hi-Point group shoot and give the participants a taste.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Mr.Boom, if you ever want to get into 1/10 scale electric touring, I'll sell you a HPI Pro 3 Rolling chassis... LOL
I have a buggy, old one... Tekkin speed controller, antique speed gem motor... HiTech radio... but it's not operational right now... because I pimped out a wal-mart r/c boat with a spec motor... it would stand on it's propeller and scream in the water... it could have been epic, but lost interest. :)

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Been there though. Done it all. Nitro, electric, offroad, touring, oval.

Oh, and half the fun was projects like you described Strangerous. Good fun!

I currently race 1/10 electric offroad. All brushless and lipo.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
For me, my work (Theater production) has usually taken up nearly all my time. But, outside of firearms my biggest hobby has to be my precious and overpriced Italian bikes: Vepsas:

My last bike: 2005 Genuine Scooter Company Stella 150 (Genuine scooters are to Vespas what OCC Choppers are to Harleys. VERY expensive scooters with a waiting list about a year long). This one was custom painted by myself and all of the chrome is original Cupinini hardware from Italy dating to the early 60's.

(That licence plate has long since been recycled off that bike...so I'm not going to bother taking the time to black it out since it's a dead number)

This one had to be sold to get the NEXT bike: An '06 GTS (about 3x as fast and twice as big).

That's the downside of Italian bikes; They're a rich man's hobby and each bike after they're done being built up can reach in costs that exceed $10,000. My GTS is currently being rebuilt back to stock, so the extras haven't been added save for a Grimecea Turbocharger. Once I get what I want done to the GTS, I will have put enough cash into it to buy a new Hyundai or Honda (I've already spent enough to buy a new accent if I so chose a boring commuter)

So, with those costs in mind I'm lucky to keep ONE bike running at a time. My next bike purchase after I finish repairing and building this one up is back down the year scale: The shop I finally found that I trust has access to '67 to '73 VBB 150 Supers straight from Southern Europe!! I can get a running "daily driver" out the door for $2800, and if I chose to build it up, that of course goes up. They're like Harleys: Vespas never stay stock.

And, call me a bike snob: But I will NEVER buy a scooter that isn't a Piaggio (The cats who make vespa) I *MAY* buy a Honda scooter, but that's just for a commuter. You cannot beat Vespa quality when a PROPER shop has work on it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I sing and play upright bass in a psychobilly band (not at the same time), ride my motorcycle a little and drink a lot ( I think it's a hobby....) and I work out now that I rehabbed my shoulder (just posted my best all time mile of 8:30 at 26) and I'm just getting ready to plant a garden, I'm thinking that's gonna take a lot of my time. .

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I draw very well, do photography very well, shoot very well, use to perform magic pretty good, used to fly kites for the hell of it. Of course my wife would say that I just collect crap. :)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Actually, woodworking and working on cars and other mechanical stuff. I helped a buddy of mine rebuild a '66 Mustang Fastback one time that I was real proud of. I am not a "gear head" like some of you guys on here, I just enjoy working around the garage and gettin' greasy. I am also about to build my wife a jewlry box out of some Red Cedar that I recently aquired....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I spend a lot of my free time keeping this girl up-to-date and fresh. I'm always changing things around and trying to better her. The car hits a lot of the local and not-so-local shows and has it's share of trophies. But my main passion is just driving her.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I collect scale Cobras ( hence the name Cobraman) . I am pushing about 600 at this time and have them in plastic, die cast, white ware, crystal, pewter, crayon. Just collect AC Cobras and Daytonas. I also build model cars, mostly drag type and normally ones from the 60's. I build them for friends sometimes as replicas of their real cars and I build a lot that I sell on ebay.

i

mg]

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hunting is LIFE!!!!!. If it can be hunted, I do it. Need to get to Africa and safari. Quite fond of fly fishing as well, and have close to the same amount of books as SW

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
One that I forgot to add. I love to go "Motoring." Minidriver can attest to the fact that there is nothing quite like cruising around in a Mini Cooper. Hitting the back roads around Nashville. Twisting and winding through the curves, squealing around the hair-pins and switchbacks, accelerating in the straightaways. In a Mini you can feel the car gripping the road, feel the tires at they grab onto the asphalt around a sharp turn at 50mph.

Damn, I need to go for a drive now.

Here's my Giselle, she's so sleek and sexy.

I'll also try and scan in some of my drawings and post the PB link to them later.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Other than shooting and playing video games. Im an(self titled) amateur Herpetologist....you know, people who study/keep retiles and amphibians. I love animals. Right now I got three snakes, 7 Anoles, 2 Long Tailed Asian Lizards. And ofcourse, Jeff, my Alligator. I just lost Bill, my 4 foot Iguana last November. Had him almost 7 years. And then theres my career hobby, building engines. Which after turning wrenches so long for a living I now hate. I still do it though when I get the chance.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like to be all outdoorsy and go camping and whatnot. My Dad took us kids on Sierra Club camping trips all the time as kids, and THAT is good fun... mostly because they hire someone to do all the cooking and cleaning, so you get three square, HOT meals a day and there are no dishes or anything. :p You also put on some weight because even though you're hiking and doing stuff outside all day.. the food is still that good, lol But good regular "toughin' it" camping is fun too. If you go up north to Queen Creek and upwards around here they have a bunch of cool rivers and stuff you can set up shop next to, we used to chase crawfish around (and get pinched alot, lol) as kids. :p

I also ride a lil crotch rocket when the weather's good.. which if you can load up with an h20 pack, is pretty much year round..

I also work out a bit, blog a bit, and knit. Yes, I knit. not well either.. but it's a brainless task to keep the hands busy when there's nothing else to do.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.