Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know, gun snobs everywhere have it out for hi-points, regardless of how many times their new $2000 1911 gets outshot by em at the range. :) I'm curious, what other weapons are you a fan of that for whatever reason have a "bad rep" with the aristocrats?

My personal carry weapon is a FEG PA-63, and I absolutely love the little thing. It's probably one of the most accurate handguns I've owned, and in such a small and lightweight package, you can't go wrong. Makarov enthusiasts end up knocking on them all the time, however - if it's not a Makarov, any gun in 9x18 is apparently junk. Don't get me wrong, the Mak is a great little piece too, but I vastly prefer the PA-63. It's lighter, I shoot mine better than I've ever shot a Makarov, and I just like how the little thing looks.

·
Registered
598 Posts
...it's not a Makarov, any gun in 9x18 is apparently junk.
That is not entirely true. A lot of Makarov owners, including myself, will freely admit that the CZ82 is a better gun than the Mak. As far as the PA63 goes, I believe it is an extremely well made gun, just as good as the PPK or Bersa if not better, but over the long run the simpler design and steel frame of the Mak will last longer.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I love the PA-63's too dude, but 47_Mason_47 has a point about the recoil. With the aluminum frame, that joker is light and will hurt the web of my hand after too many rounds through it. My Makarov, on the other hand, is much more comfortable with it's steel frame. I don't own a PA-63, but given the chance, I'd damn sure buy one.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
i don't know if this has a bad reputation , but it's a knock off so i'm sure the thompson guys aren't #1 fans of volunteer commandos . the thompson has always been my favorite gun . but since it's $1000 + for one and i'm generally pretty broke i got the next best thing . i can pepper out 45's as fast as my wallet can spend money on them . it's pretty accurate , and just fun to shoot . plus i have time invested in it , a friend and me made the front grip for it (the original was plastic) and i busted out the welder and a suomi drum and did that up for it . i've also set up a web site about commando's . tho one day when i sell my chopper i may splurge on an auto ordinance just so i have one . worst part about these guns is only one guy has parts for em , and i'm on month 3 of waiting for a price list from him . i keep calling , he keeps being too busy . either way , i love this thing .

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Wow! I have always loved the Thompson .45!!!! Maybe it's the WWII nut in me coming out, but I've always wanted one of those, and an M1 Garand, an M1 Carbine, an original 1911 .45, a German Luger, a K98 Sniper, a Springfield 1903A4.... Get the idea? Nice gun dude. I like the grip you made too. I'd never have known that wasn't an orignal part if you hadn't said anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That Thompson is a sexy piece of hardware, whether it's authentic or not. I actually saw an antique full-auto Thompson for sale a while ago, in literally mint condition. Granted, they were asking $20,000 for it...

I'm glad to see such support for the PA-63 on here. I knew I picked the right forum to join. :) I do agree with you on the longevity of the gun, hipoint.nut... steel will hold up better than a titanium/aluminum alloy, that's for sure. And don't get me wrong, I plan on picking up a Mak once I find "the one." I'm just a little sad about the price of 9x18 ammo these days. I remember when you could get a box for ten bucks - the last one I tracked down cost me over $30. :(

A friend recently picked up a CZ-52, and I'm now interested in Tokarevs again. As far as underrated weapons go, I think that caliber deserves a mention - not many people realize what kind of penetrating power it has. Not like that's always a desirable thing, but if you have fifty bad guys lined up behind a fencepost in Russia, I'm sure it'll do a great job. :) Combine that with the fact that you can get a pistol in good shape for around $200 (ish), and that's a lot of bang for your buck.

I'm tempted to pick up a TT-33 if I can ever find one in nice shape. I love how similar it is to 1911s.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I own and carry a Makarov, a PA-63, and a CZ-82(at different times). All great reliable handguns.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Not sure if proud is the correct term. The gun has had a lot of mixed reviews (mostly not that good) but I consider it to be collectible just for its unique style (or lack of).

Here is a link to some info on the COP 357. I'll postactual photos of mine in a few days.
http://www.gunwebsites.com/Articles.php?action=detail&g=content1185154434

For those interested in the story:
My Father in Law and I were talking about my Bersa Thunder9 UC and he mentioned he had a gun stashed away in the box up in the closet. He told me it was a COP 357 that he bought as a spare when he was with the NYPD. He carried it for just a short while and had never fired it, (Yes, that struck me as odd too). He decided it was kind of heavy and boxed it up and just carried his 38SP instead. He figured he would keep it in case it was worth some money down the line.

This evening, I called him and asked him to bring it over some time so I could take some photos. He said sure and 15 minutes later he was at the door with the box and a note on it that said Happy Early Birthday.

I will likely keep it, but if it is a POS like some review it to be i will put it up on gunbroker and give him the cash for it. I just saw one sell for 900 bucks and a couple more at 700 now. Whoda thunk?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm rather fond of my Lorcin .380. she is actually a decent handling little pistol.

I'm also fond of my current carry setup, the C9 and my phoenix HP22

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure if proud is the correct term. The gun has had a lot of mixed reviews (mostly not that good) but I consider it to be collectible just for its unique style (or lack of).
I'd definitely hold onto it. You're right - they have mixed reviews. But as far as unique firearms go, I'd never let that baby go. :)

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
+1 on the Jennings .22 and the Phoenix .22! The Jennings was my first handgun. Nobody told me it was supposed to be a POS so I babied it like it was a family heirloom Korth or something. I was so proud of that little gun.

-'b

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.