Over cleaning a firearm?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by TnShooter83, Feb 20, 2008.

1. TnShooter83

TnShooter83 Guest

I feel MANY people over clean their firearm.
    A lot of people seem to think you have to take a bore brush and scrub
    the chamber and barrel.

I know I'm young (24 years old) and some people just are not going to agree with me. And that is ok also. What is yours is yours, and mine is mine. And at least you clean it....hahaa
    Some people don't clean them at all......?????

Any how, I personally will NOT scrub a bore until accuracy has dropped.
    On Center fire, I swab the bore with Hope's #9. Let sit for a couple minutes.
    The run a DRY patch through the bore. I'll repeat this 1 more time.
    Next I'll use Hope's Bench Rest formula to remove any copper fouling.
    Then I'll run a dry patch until it comes out clean.
    Then one LIGHTLY coated patch of RemOil.......Remember LIGHTLY.
    Once at the rang I'll do a three shot seat in before shooting any groups.

As for my RimFire .22s I clean the action. As I use quality lead round.
    Which most have a wax like coating on them that coated the bore.
    It's not needed to clean the bore often..... If you are going to store it swab the bore, and use a brush ONLY if there is any powder residue in the bore. Other wise it's going to take 50-100+ shot to "seat" bore.

As for pistols the only thing I do more is clean the action.

Black Powder is a whole different subject, as the powder it's self is a corrosive........Do what is need to remove all powder. Other wise
    it WILL rust. Some times over night. If it takes a brush to be sure it's all removed - BRUSH IT....Rust will ruin a bore before a brush.

Feel free to voice you procedure.
    I'm not saying mine is the right or correct way.
    All I know is it works for me.

2. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Cleaner is better imho. I'm not one of those nut jobs (anymore) who will totally dissasemble and clean every piece of a firearm every time it's fired. Doing that is actually harmful over time. But a good field strip and quick scrubbing never hurts. I usually do it about every 500 rounds or so.

When I start the police academy, there will never be a such thing as "clean enough" for the TOs, so I'm going to get a sonic parts cleaner. Field strip, throw parts in cleaner, relax while the sonicator runs, dry, lube, reassemble. Go back and get yelled at, even though the white glove won't show a speck, no matter how hard they try... ;)

3. TnShooter83

TnShooter83 Guest

I feel for you man......In your case do what ever it takes.
    And when you find just what ever it is it takes?
    Let the rest of us in on it...haha

As for the bore, I'll remove any powder residue, but I don't scrub it with a brush until my accuracy is affected.

4. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Its called make if effin' shine, and even though they're yelling in the beginning, they will be taking note of your efforts at perfection, and it will pay off in the end.

Another beauty of the sonicator is that it will free up time to focus on perfection in other areas... Like learning spanish... ugh!

5. I'm not a cleaning nut, sometimes leaving my guns go a few trips before getting cleaned down, EXCEPT my 1911. She get's a full breakdown and detailing after every trip to the range. Reason being is it is my main self/home defense. From the time I get home till I lay into bed it is on my hip. From then on it's inches from my head all night. It's a fine weapon that I rely on heavily. If I expect it to protect me, my wife, and all of my property, then I feel it deserves a good breakdown, cleaning, and inspection followed by a light oiling every time I let it out to stretch it's legs.

6. The only weapons that I completely tear down every time are the ones that I shoot corrosive ammo through. Thats a no brainer.

The rest get the bores swabbed and the chamber area wiped down at a minimum.

In the army they had us clean them every time of course, and I remember many a time standing in line for hours just to have the armorer find a spot I missed and having to go back to the end of the line to wait my turn again. :)

7. Ridge

Ridge Member

Im very OCD at some things, and firearms is one of them...I can barely stand a finger print on a silver slide or something, let alone getting my finger black after sticking it into a chamber...

8. I don't field strip mine to clean them, but I do run oil patches through the barrel followed by dry patches.

9. neothespian

neothespian Member

I follow the manufacturer's recommendations when it comes to maintaining and cleaning my firearm. Then again, I'm anal about doing the same thing with my cars and my motorbikes. I just get bent when you get the guys who shirk on matainance saying "Well, those engineers build this stuff with tolerances and stuff. I mean, the service cycle is just a recommendation".

Are THEY an engineer? NO! And THEN they complain about the thing not working! Some of this rage can also be directed at those who think everything they own can be "improved" by themselves. Like the tools who add 2 frickin' spoilers and 22 inch rims on a Subaru for "Better performance" even when it's the racing package from the factory! If you're not an ASE certified master mechanic, don't think that your 12mm wrench, daddy's credit card and a copy of "ricer times" is going to improve it. Don't think that if changing your oil every 3k miles is good, then changing it every 1k miles with full synthetic is even better because it's NOT.

Just a little adherence to basic

10. TnShooter83

TnShooter83 Guest

No kidding.....I used to work as an Auto Mechanic.
    And still do on occasion, when the local shop needs the help.
    My father was the service manager at Good year for 13years, and worked there for 15. Now works as an independent, him and another guy are splitting the shop. I was asked if I wanted to become involved. But declined. I just can't stand the Bull$hit that goes on in a shop.

People are clueless, It cost me at least $7.00 worth of cleaning supply to clean my self off at the end of the day. Not to mention fixing what they had all ready broke. I really like the ones that are towed in and in pieces....
    I hate puzzles. and it's even harder when some the bolts ect, are missing.

Then the guys that want you to tell them how to fix their cars.
    Then don't offer once to pay you for your knowledge, or time.

I now run my own lawn service.....It's easier.

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

This is why I like working in theater.

"Hey! We need to build 1930's New York City in 2 weeks...and then we need to tear it down in 3 weeks and somehow build 4 working fountians and cover the entire stage in asphalt while projecting 3 holograms on stage! We don't know how so...keep us up to date when you figure out how"

The plus side is that you're not fixing someone else's problem because...well...no body else knows how the heck to do it! At least you "own" what you build.

12. The only gun I clean RELIGIOUSLY is my carry pieces. My 1911, my Sigma and my Makarov. As Taurus357 said, I clean after every trip to the range. That way, if I get in a shooting incident, my gun was recently cleaned and won't have layers of crud on it when the cops take it in for evaluation/lab tests.

13. Did any of you guys see the episode of CSI Miami when the character "Speed" was killed in the line of duty because his dirty firearm malfunctioned?? Well, I've been brushing, swabbing, and oiling for 30+ years and I've NEVER had a weapon fail due to being dirty. Broken parts or bad ammo is one thing, but thanks anyway, I'm sticking with what has worked in the past.

You can "over lubricate", but the problem doesn't affect the gun itself. A carry gun needs to be dried off because of the possibility of oil seepage into the primer of the ammo making it hangfire or not fire at all.

Tnshooter83,
    Please mend your ways. Your method may have worked so far and I'm glad to hear it, but the one time it fails may be the one chance you had to save your own life or someone else's.

Also, it has been my experience, that 22 rimfire semiauto rifles get dirtier than a 5 dollar hooker on saturday night. I had a Marlin model 60 (I believe) that would fire maybe 75 rounds before the unburned powder would cake up and keep the bolt from moving. After several trials with that, I got rid of the gun because I wanted something more reliable.

Anyway, do yourself a favor and clean them everytime you shoot and you will have a lifetime of reliable service from all your guns. Plus, I'll be able to trust your weapons if I'm ever standing beside you. Thanks.

14. TnShooter83

TnShooter83 Guest

I clean the action....
    This was more geared towards barrels.
    Yes I do indeed clean the action ever time I shoot.
    As for the barrel, I clean/brush it when accuracy falls off.
    I will run a wet patch through it.
    Be sure to use a Crown saver, or clean from the breech.
    Which I try all ways to do...

Also good mach grade Rimefire ammo should not dirty up the action as quick a the bulk fill you find on sale at many places.
    Not putting down your rifle. But I've not known alot of Marlin auto 22lr rifles that don't tend to jam after a few dozen rounds.

I do how ever know I went over 1000 round in a Ruger 10/22.
    Only problem was a few Failure to fires. The Ammo was Federal Bulk in the 510 box.
    Indeed the action was starting foul up from the powder.

I know Eley Match did NOT powder foul near as bad as the Federal.

If you want failure just shoot 50 rounds through the Uberti 36 Colt Navy replica. Cylinder start to get hard to turn......
    Looking back I'm glad I sold it....

Never less here are some pics of it.

[​IMG]

15. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Nope, I don't watch that garbage. That show is so crappy its sad, then funny, then just really crappy again. I don't know how people can stand to watch it. Sniffing glue would be a better use for those poor brain cells...

16. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Oil making the primers dud out? :lol: Sir, you must stop watching TV...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot39.htm

I have soaked a .380 round in 3in1 oil inside a pill bottle for a week, and I shook it for 1 minute every day for that week. Early saturday morning i poured the oil back into my oil bottle, dried the oil off of the round, mixed it with 6 other rounds, and loaded my extra .380 mag with those 7 (1 tainted + 6 normal) Myself and RFH went to the range Saturday, i fired all 7 shots in my backup mag... without a hitch. I'd hate to think of what you'd actually have to do to make that primer dud out... something thinner like alcohol perhaps? *Peers at denatured alcohol bottle*

Busted!

17. Actually, years back I cleaned some rounds with WD-40 and after sitting for a few weeks, the ones that I had cleaned had about a 50% failure rate. The ones that I didnt clean out of the same lot had a 100% fire rate.

Depends on what you use, and the ammo I suppose, but it can happen.

18. The reference to CSI didn't have anything to do with the primers. I saw that on a different web site about cleaning weapons and also a site about military ammo. Military ammo has a sealant around the primers to prevent moisture and oil from seeping into them thereby making the primer faulty. The CSI episode showed the weapons firing pin failed to move forward because of the amount of crude that had built up around it.

Granted, your test with a 380 round was done with one particular oil on one particular round. What kind of oil was it? 3in1? Try the same test with bore scrubber, wd40, CLP, and other different cleaning/lubricating products and see if the results are the same. Some of the oils have a penetrating quality and may seep into the primer seam. I've also seen several different factory rounds from WWB and Remington where the primers were loose enough to fall out if you dropped them on a table. Although rare, it does happen. Just like double powder loads on "factory reloaded" ammo.

Anyway, opinions vary and everyone has one. Right? So, for me, why take the chance. Didn't mean to stir everyone up with the CSI reference. :roll:

19. My experience was with cheap and badly tarnished 8mm surplus.

I cleaned it so it would more easily fit into the chamber of my Egyptian FN49 8mm semi auto rifle.

I was young and dumb, learned a life lesson and will not do that again. :)