"Over my dead body"

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bluharley, Apr 9, 2015.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yup. I'm not sure if the best way to make them stop this is to sue them or to convict them of crimes. In a lot of big districts there's a feeling of, "it's just money" and there's no personal buy-in or individual accountability, even if the department has to pay out. But getting criminal convictions is beyond hard. :(

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. Not sure you can convict them of a crime, most cases qualified immunity comes into play. You can sue them, but the money comes out of the tax payers pocket.

Best thing I can think of is getting the laws changed.

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Changing the laws is a big part of it, but suing them is the only thing that can be done at this point. Instead of covering just replacement costs of the firearms, the suits should also cover some hefty punitive damages.

By the way, did you notice that the Navy vet's guns were mentioned in This same article?

5. bluharley

bluharley Member

Yea, I shouldn't have posted this, it's redundant.

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    No, it's not redundant. It addresses the matter in a much larger context. That was the only reason I mentioned the Navy vet. The sheer scope of what is happening to others is important to highlight.

7. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

They shot him. ;)