Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Kel Tec P-17 this morning. It came in a hard case, has three 16 round magazines, and the required tools needed to remove the thread protector on the barrel.

A friend of mine owns one, and loves it. I spent the last two weeks pouring over reviews of the thing, and most were very positive, and a couple were not...it is going to the range in the morning for a trial run. I plan on running Federal, Winchester, and CCI HV ammo through it, so we will see. Here is the gun:

I will try to post up a report on how it does.

·
Super Moderator
10,502 Posts
I do not particularly like KelTec, except I do like their rimfites. I have their CP33, PMR30, and CMR 30. I want a P17, except around here they are selling for $250. I just will not send that much for one, just not worth it.

I did buy a Taurus TX22. I really like it. Bought the target model, then a standard upper for it. Then another standard model. The pistol is that good!

Reactions: Rerun and Hipointer

·
Administrator
29,759 Posts
I really like my P17. It likes most of the .22LR ammo I give it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,896 Posts
I really like my P17. It likes most of the .22LR ammo I give it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Asking you and @greg_r or anyone else, what are the higher capacity choices in 22lr pistols these days?
I know the TX that Greg has, but what did it hold? And of course the big CP33... all I have is a nice little Ruger Mk4 which is a 10 shot. The Taurus or KelTec with a can is very appealing 😁 😁

Let us know about the range trip, @Hipointer
(y)🔫

·
Administrator
29,759 Posts
Asking you and @greg_r or anyone else, what are the higher capacity choices in 22lr pistols these days?
I know the TX that Greg has, but what did it hold? And of course the big CP33... all I have is a nice little Ruger Mk4 which is a 10 shot. The Taurus or KelTec with a can is very appealing 😁 😁

Let us know about the range trip, @Hipointer
(y)🔫
The P17 is 17+1
The Kel Tec CP33 is 33+1
The Taurus TX22 is 16+1

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, all I can say it if I had another 215 bucks, I'd buy another one! This little .22 shoots great for me. I ran a total of 105 rounds of high velocity ammo from Federal, Winchester, CCI, and Aguila, and all ran 100%...not one malfunction of any sort. I was shooting at 6" paper plates from 30-35 feet, both right and left handed, and even though I am not as fast with the left hand, I can shoot as accurately with it. Right handed, I was touching them off kinda fast...it was hard not to!

The sights are good, the trigger is great (almost too light for me being a revolver fan), and the gun fits my hands well. Next time I take it out, I will sit and bench it at about 15 yards, using Eley and Green Tag ammo, just to see how accurate it really is. The only caveat was that I was only able to stuff 15 rounds in each of the magazines...that 16th round just would not go in there. Here are my results:

I am very happy with this .22 semi-auto, and will buy another one...just because. I had great fun shooting it.

·
Super Moderator
10,502 Posts
Reactions: Hipointer

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,896 Posts
The P17 is 17+1
The Kel Tec CP33 is 33+1
The Taurus TX22 is 16+1
Thanks Klawson

I'm thinking there was a new Sig out there too, which had over 10 rounds. But these TX & KT guns are so good, according to all reports... so why spend more?
@Hipointer $215 is pretty sweet! Sounds like you could dual wield those!

·
Administrator
29,759 Posts
Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,896 Posts
It comes with 3 16 round magazines, but maybe after mine break in a bit, I'll be able to get 16 in there instead of just 15.
3 is very good. Ruger sends 1 or 2 for the MK4, it's a great gun, but for the price shoulda been 3 mags. But I did get a free magazine with my recall. Nice touch.

·
Super Moderator
10,502 Posts
Well, all I can say it if I had another 215 bucks, I'd buy another one!
And here is the reason I don’t own one. The MSRP is $199. I just will not pay over $200 for a pistol that is worth maybe $175. When I find one for MSRP out the door, I will get one.

·
Super Moderator
10,502 Posts
Tightwad 😁 😁 😁
Yeah….I know. I went forever and never found one. Now every one I find is between $200 and $250 in the case. Just no……

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,664 Posts
Yeah….I know. I went forever and never found one. Now every one I find is between $200 and $250 in the case. Just no……
Give it time.

·
Super Moderator
10,502 Posts
Still,it is a good price. Case, 3 mags, good gun. Waiting around for the sake of a few dollars will most likely get ya naught. Good buy Hipointer.
How is a good price? It’s above MSRP. Economics 101 here.

You get a cheap, mostly plastic gun, a cheap plastic case, and 3 cheap plastic magazines. I have handled them and shot one. I like the pistol. I will own one some day, but I will not be over paying for it. The allure of the KelTec P17 for me is a functional .22 pistol at a rock bottom price. No different than the Hi Point C9. American made firearms for the working man. That allure is lost when the prices go up.

I also understand that something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. if the purchaser is happy, I am happy too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How is a good price? It’s above MSRP. Economics 101 here.

You get a cheap, mostly plastic gun, a cheap plastic case, and 3 cheap plastic magazines. I have handled them and shot one. I like the pistol. I will own one some day, but I will not be over paying for it. The allure of the KelTec P17 for me is a functional .22 pistol at a rock bottom price. No different than the Hi Point C9. American made firearms for the working man. That allure is lost when the prices go up.

I also understand that something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. if the purchaser is happy, I am happy too.
OK....But please post when ya find one your 'rock bottom' $$'s IF you do.

·
Super Moderator
10,502 Posts
OK....But please post when ya find one your 'rock bottom' $$'s IF you do.
They are out there in the $175 range. Just the only shop locally that has them are too high on everything.

Reactions: moona11
1 - 20 of 65 Posts