+P ammo in the 995?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by blender, Jan 2, 2008.

1. blender

blender Guest

I tried a search on this topic and didn't see a similar thread, nor did I see anything mentioned in the 995 manual.

So, is it ok to use +P ammo in the 995? I did see mention that it was ok to use in the C9 pistol, so my guess is the carbine should be ok. Thought I'd toss this out to the forum wisdom.

2. Yes, the 995 is rated for +p, as well as +p+ ammo. I have heard however that it is not suggested that you shoot a whole lot of it as it does increase the stresses on the slide as well as other parts of the gun.

3. vallen

vallen Member

4. blender

blender Guest

Ah, silly me. I actually went directly to the 9mm carbine page and didn't read the main carbine page.....

5. +1 to the above. Can it handle it? Yes. Should you do so? Not necessarily. I think of it as redlining a car's engine: just because my old Dodge Caravan could hit 6,000 RPM didn't mean it was a good idea to do it lol.

6. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Member

Anyone care to direct me towards a H-Point/Beemiller document stating the +P+ ammo is fine in the 995?

Guessing it once was, but due to the amount of "lifetime" repairs, they've dropped back to just supporting +P?

I have a bud with all the hardware to reload 9mm, but am apprehensive about running it thru my M&P9. OTOH, the 995 is begging for "less expensive" reloads!

7. Wont hurt it as much as you think....its accually good to do that every now and then.

8. willrichtor

willrichtor Member

If you look at it from a mechanical standpoint, the 995 is heavily overengineered, literally - the bolt is much heavier than need be for a blowback operated 9mm gun, similar to the old M3 sub machine gun. I wouldn't worry much about +p or +p+ wearing on the mechanism. The place it might cause some problems, in my opinion, would be the barrel. That hot stuff heats the barrel significantly, and the 995's barrel is fairly thin to begin with.

9. middle of last year, on the website all hp guns were +P+ rated, but was then changed. i have shot+P+ through my c9 comp and 995 with no ill effects. i wouldn't plink with it, but it is not going to hurt it.

10. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Member

That's what i suspected... I'd read +P+ rated on several forums, but could find no mention of it "officially" from HP

11. kiawahman

kiawahman Member

I don't see a need for +P in a 995, you already have higher MV than a pistol, no need to spend extra money on ammo which defeats the low cost concept of this firearm. Short, blunt, pistol style ammunition fired through a 16" barrel still won't give much accuracy beyond 100 yards, no matter how hard you propel it. But if you really have to have more stopping power, try Federal's HST 147gr cjhp rounds, http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-2.html

What does concern me is that with only 100 rounds of Blazer 115gr fmj through my 995, I'm see a round casing 'footprint' on the breech. Checking a couple others with very high round counts, one has the same 'footprint' (only a little more pronounced), the other none at all, (we all use the same ammo). Could it be that the metallurgy between breeches differ that much? There seems to be no difference in strengths or lengths of our recoil springs. Seems like +P ammo would exaggerate this condition even more. I need to contact HP.

I also noticed that on another 995 with the 'footprint', and a high rd count, that the (single) firing pin spring had removed quite a bit of metal from the sides of it's channel in the breech. My 995 has dual firing pin springs which more closely fill the channel allowing less sideward deflection, still there was some wear already starting to show despite adequate lubrication. This tends to confirm the suspicion that some breeches were made of softer material.

P.S. I have yet to see a 'bad' H-P barrel regardless of the round count.

12. junior

junior Guest

:D Well played.

13. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Member

Depends on what you mean by "footprint"? Uunless the divot is pronounced enough to feel with a fingernail, don't sweat it. OTOH, if you can see the wear, may be time for an overhaul :D

I'm guessing it's probably just a "polishing" effect from the softer brass/AL casings. I've seen this on several firearms and numerous hardened (& often coated/blacked) industrial parts that are polished as they "wear in"... not necessarily wearing, just getting comfy after several 1000 cycles. Back when I used to work on such things, I found in most cases, the "shiny part" was only a difference of a few .0001"...

14. kiawahman

kiawahman Member

""Depends on what you mean by "footprint"?""

There is a round 'footprint' maybe .005" deep on this one after 150 rds, another had it almost .012" deep after 500+ rds. Yet another had only a round flat shiny circle after 1000+ rds.

I e-mailed the factory a couple days ago but have not heard back.