Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced a P64 barrel? If so, what tools did you use? If a barrel press doesn't exist, what is the easiest way to get a barrel in?

·
Premium Member
6,858 Posts
I'm not sure how you would without a press. I have not heard of a press for the P64.
There are presses for Makarov pistols. No idea if they by chance might work on a P64.

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
It’s Eastern Bloc. A couple of bottle jacks and a 2x4 should get it done.

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
It’s Eastern Bloc. A couple of bottle jacks and a 2x4 should get it done.
The P64 is actually one of the nicer made ComBloc guns. Some of the better bluing I've seen from that stuff. But, yeah, it's still a ComBloc gun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The presses I have seen say they won't work with a P64 :(

I thought I read somewhere that back in the day when P64's were just starting to come in, there were some 380 barrels and/or threaded barrels that people could change. I wonder how they did it?

·
Premium Member
6,858 Posts
The presses I have seen say they won't work with a P64 :(

I thought I read somewhere that back in the day when P64's were just starting to come in, there were some 380 barrels and/or threaded barrels that people could change. I wonder how they did it?
I don't remember those for sale. Only those I remember were for Makarov pistols. Far too many call a P64 a Makarov when they should not. Even today many do. When in reality, they only had one thing in common. Both were chambered for 9x18 Makarov caliber.
I tried to Google P64 barrels just a bit ago. No reference to a new barrel at all.
Have you yourself done any searches for what you want??? Any results at all?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't remember those for sale. Only those I remember were for Makarov pistols. Far too many call a P64 a Makarov when they should not. Even today many do. When in reality, they only had one thing in common. Both were chambered for 9x18 Makarov caliber.
I tried to Google P64 barrels just a bit ago. No reference to a new barrel at all.
Have you yourself done any searches for what you want??? Any results at all?
Probably should have noted this in the original post. I am in the process of rebuilding a P64. I bought a couple of stripped frames and been patiently waiting for a part kit(s) to show up on Gunbroker. Finally, got the parts kit I have the necessary components, I just need to put the barrel in.

I could be wrong, regarding alternative barrels for the P64. I missed the days of cheap P64s. Although I did get a nice cheap East German Makarov back in the day :)

And totally off topic, I really want a PSM :)

I really like 9x18. Still need a few more to finish a 9x18 collection.

I have posted this question to this forum, the P64 forum, the gunboard forum (on a recommendation from the P64 forum) and a Facebook group that focuses on Makarov's and Warsaw Pact Firearms. I have also spent some time searching the above forums, but haven't found anything.

I have not found anything other than barrel presses for Makarov's. I am wondering if you could hammer (with a rubber hammer) the barrel? Or I wonder if I could get a Makarov barrel press and find a way to make it work?

·
Premium Member
6,858 Posts
Probably should have noted this in the original post. I am in the process of rebuilding a P64. I bought a couple of stripped frames and been patiently waiting for a part kit(s) to show up on Gunbroker. Finally, got the parts kit I have the necessary components, I just need to put the barrel in.

I could be wrong, regarding alternative barrels for the P64. I missed the days of cheap P64s. Although I did get a nice cheap East German Makarov back in the day :)

And totally off topic, I really want a PSM :)

I really like 9x18. Still need a few more to finish a 9x18 collection.

I have posted this question to this forum, the P64 forum, the gunboard forum (on a recommendation from the P64 forum) and a Facebook group that focuses on Makarov's and Warsaw Pact Firearms. I have also spent some time searching the above forums, but haven't found anything.

I have not found anything other than barrel presses for Makarov's. I am wondering if you could hammer (with a rubber hammer) the barrel? Or I wonder if I could get a Makarov barrel press and find a way to make it work?
I can only say all the places I have looked at say the Makarov Press will not work. Rubber mallet? Well, if it was that simple I am certain it would be said all over the internet gun boards.
Have you ever considered having a good gunsmith look at your situation?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can only say all the places I have looked at say the Makarov Press will not work. Rubber mallet? Well, if it was that simple I am certain it would be said all over the internet gun boards.
Have you ever considered having a good gunsmith look at your situation?
Where is the fun/challenge in that? LOL!

That might end up being the route I have to take.

I did just post the question on the gunboard forum. Will see what happens....

·
Premium Member
6,858 Posts
Where is the fun/challenge in that? LOL!

That might end up being the route I have to take.

I did just post the question on the gunboard forum. Will see what happens....
In the Makarov section I hope!

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
Just like you can call a rifle a "30-30" whether or not Winchester, Marlin, Henry, or Mossberg made it. Just like you can call a revolver a "38" whether or not it was made by Colt, Smith & Wesson, or Rock Island. Even Bad Bad Leroy Brown had a "32 gun in his pocket full of fun." Do I need to continue with the stupidly long list of examples?

The firearms world is practically DRIPPING with guns which are referred to generically by the cartridge they're chambered for and no one says spit about it. Only the Makarov guys get anal and pissy when someone thinks that, OMG!, the same rules should apply to that cheap commie gun too. <gasp> <swoon> :eek:

They need to get a clew.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts