PA conceal carry

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by Tchort, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Tchort

Tchort Member

Did a search but didnt see an answer. Unfortunately i may have to visit PA soon to visit a very ill relative.

I currently hold an Illinois resident, Florida and Utah non resident.

I checked the map thing and says between 3 i cant carry concealed there. So i look on their web site. Confusing. Next to Florida does say yes but with side note. Side note says if you are a Pennsylvania resident and have a non resident florida it wont reconize. Im not a Pennsylvania resident so am i covered or not?

Does anyone know?

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Call the police department where you'll be and get a direct answer.

3. Tchort

Tchort Member

Thats what i was thinking since i was finding different answers. Just wasnt sure if there was any PA LEO here on forum.

Thanks

4. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I don't know if this is the site you were looking at or not.
    But the answer is NO! Your non-resident ones are not legal in PA. And, Especially your Illinois one is NOT.

Because your home state is being an a$$ about CC, some states will not allow it at all until Illinois will reciprocate.

Summary: You are screwed. Leave the gun at home.

http://www.usacarry.com/

5. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

You don't need to be a Pennsylvania resident to open carry and you don't need a concealed permit to open carry either. You just can't carry a weapon in Philadelphia either open or concealed.

He is not screwed, he can take his firearm with him and open carry.

6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

My only addition to this is to keep your permit handy in case you get stopped while OC. May not carry reciprocity but will go a long way with the officer you may end up dealing with.

7. OldOutlaw

OP was clear about asking of Concealed Carry. No, he cannot!

8. FlashBang

No sh1t sherlock... and instead of flat out telling him he was screwed and that he had to leave his weapon at home and have no protection, I provided an alternative so he would be protected if he so choose to.

9. OldOutlaw

Ok, but can a non-resident from Illinois or any where else open carry in his vehicle? Or does weapons have to be packed away?

10. FlashBang

If he has a license issued by another State he can carry in his car.

11. OldOutlaw

But, he said he is from Illinois and PA does not recognize any Illinois license. That has already been established. Correct???
    Also, Illinois does not have any license that allows any open carry in Illinois.

12. FlashBang

He can carry a firearm in his vehicle with his out of State license, he cannot exit his vehicle and have it concealed on or about his person.

13. OldOutlaw

Ok, but I am still confused I guess Flash. Since PA does not recognize any Illinois license, and Illinois license does not permit open carry in a vehicle even in Illinois, how is he going to be legal?

I have went by this in the past and even called PA to be certain before I go there. PA requires reciprocity from other states to treat their citizens the same as home. Illinois in Category 6 I do not see recognized.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_and_Resources/Firearm_Reciprocity_Agreements/

14. FlashBang

Forget about Illinois laws, he will be in Pennsylvania and only Pennsylvania law applies.

Pennsylvania, like many States, has laws governing the concealed carry of firearms and also separate laws dealing with the possession of a firearm when in your vehicle. Don't confuse the two.

When he is out of a vehicle, the laws regarding the carrying of a concealed weapon apply. His Illinois permit, and his non-resident permits from other States where he is not a resident, do not meet the requirements Pennsylvania currently has in place concerning reciprocity and the validity of concealed carry by a license holder.

When he is in his vehicle, the Pennsylvania Statutes covering firearms in vehicles apply. Under Pennsylvania law, no one can have a loaded long gun in a vehicle under any circumstances. The possession of a "firearm" is also illegal unless it is done under one or more exceptions. The definition of what constitutes a "firearm" is in Pennsylvania Statute 18 Pa. C.S. § 6102(a):

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable."

It is a crime to carry a firearm in a vehicle under the Statutes unless it is done so under Pennsylvania Statute 18 Pa. C.S. § 6106. (2) (b) Exceptions:

• Those traveling to or from target shooting, if the firearm is unloaded with the cartridges or shells carried in a separate container;
    • Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm;
    • Agents, messengers, or employees of banks or businesses whose duties require them to protect money or other valuable property in the discharge of their duties;
    • Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent of such person, having in his or her possession, using, or carrying a firearm in the usual course of business;
    • Any person carrying an unloaded firearm in a secure wrapper between certain places, including the place of purchase or repair to his or her home or place of business, or when moving from one home or business to another;
    • Any person licensed to hunt or fish, if he or she is actually hunting or fishing;
    • A person training dogs during the regular training season;
    • Any person carrying a firearm in a vehicle who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the U.S. or any other state;
    • A person who had a license to possess a firearm that expired within six months before his or her date of arrest, if the person is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license; and
    • Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm and who is operating a vehicle which is registered in the person’s name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a license has been issued to the spouse or parent owning the firearm"
    It does not matter if Illinois allows the carrying of a firearm in a vehicle or not, he is in Pennsylvania and Illinois laws do not apply. So, while he cannot lawfully conceal carry outside of his vehicle using the licenses he currently possesses, he can lawfully carry it in his vehicle and when he is not in his vehicle he can open carry it legally if he desires; except in Philadelphia where it requires a specific license issued by Philadelphia in order to open or conceal carry. In Philadelphia even a State issued permit is not valid to carry on.

If he wishes to be able to conceal carry when not in his vehicle while in Pennsylvania, he can go to the Sheriff Office in the County he is in while he is there and apply for a non-resident License To Carry Firearm. The Sheriff has 45 days to make a decision, but most turn them around much quicker then that. Because he already has a license issued by his State of residence, regardless of whether it has a reciprocal agreement with Pennsylvania or not, he is eligible. Most Sheriff's now require the non-resident applicant to appear in person to apply, this cuts down on the flood of permit applications that used to be mailed in.

"Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury."

15. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    A lot of states don't fully recognize a non-resident permit from another state. A resident Florida permit and a non-resident florida permit don't mean the same.

16. FlashBang

Pennsylvania currently recognizes both resident and non-resident permits from Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

It recognizes resident permits only and not non-resident permits, from Arizona, Florida, Maine, Mississippi, Utah, and Virginia.

17. ow long will you be here?

PA lisense is $20 and most sherif's hand them over after a quick background check. either OC like anyone over 18 may do in PA or go to the sherrif and get the permit.

sorry but, PA insists other states accept their permit before they accept theirs.

18. Tchort

Tchort Member

Unfortunately if i do go towards end of week it would be for funeral in North Wales , Lansdale area. I think thats Montgomery county (?) and see on website they wont give out.

I will just carry concealed to PA boarder and then carry as they call out in case.

Thank everyone for input.

J.T

19. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Yea! I'm in.

20. I am sorry to see that your county is essentially Philly. The only part of the state that has this problem. The NRA is trying to change that, but the new democratic Governor isn't having it :mad: