Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to put this, but it refers to my sks, so I'll just roll with it.

The previous owner felt it was necessary to rattle can the gas tube......it looks like shite. I can scratch it off with my finger nail, but is there a faster way to remove the paint with out damaging the bluing on the tube?

·
Registered
222 Posts
gasoline is really good for removing paint or even finger nail polish. But i am not exactly sure what those might do to the blueing. Maybe try a bit unless someone else has a better idea...you can always re-blue your barell

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It depends on what type of tools you feel comfortable with and what the part looks like (just a tube or intricate parts/crevices.) Mechanically I would use a scotch-brite wheel on a side grider--it'd be done in seconds. Chemically I would use a product I've used before called "Strip-Eaze" from Home Depot. If I'm off on the name, it's in the paint dept with the strippers in a red or orange spray can depending on strength preference. It'll bubble the paint right up and it can be removed easily at that point.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
if it scratches that easy just wipe it off with lacquer thinner.. and no it won't hurt the bluing! Keep the scotch brite away as it will scratch stuff! A good soft cloth and the Lacquer thinner should be all you need!

·
Registered
28 Posts
if it scratches that easy just wipe it off with lacquer thinner.. and no it won't hurt the bluing! Keep the scotch brite away as it will scratch stuff! A good soft cloth and the Lacquer thinner should be all you need!
Scotch brites don't scratch--they take scratches OUT. And if you don't believe me, check out my intakes at www.rdfabs.com
If your not familiar with scotch bright, you can scratch stuff. they come in different grits just like sand paper and if your not carefull or paying attention, you can jack it up as if you where using course sand paper....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Scotch brites don't scratch--they take scratches OUT. And if you don't believe me, check out my intakes at www.rdfabs.com
If your not familiar with scotch bright, you can scratch stuff. they come in different grits just like sand paper and if your not carefull or paying attention, you can jack it up as if you where using course sand paper....
You're not talking about the same scotch-brite I am. I'm not talking about the pads, I'm talking about the wheels.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Buy a can of Gunscrubber. I bought an FAL a while back that had been spray bombed heavily and found that Gunscrubber removed all that nasty paint quickly. A can will set you back about $5- at Wal-Mart.

From this:

To this:

And yes, that is a pre '89 Argentine FAL.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Or just buy carb cleaner or brake cleaner as they are the same stuff as standard Gun scrubber and even cheaper! Also any abrasive pad will damage bluing so keep it away unless you plan to re blue!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the scoth brites hes talking about are like a sponge with sand in them. they are a very very mild abrasive. i use them for shining wood after i put on a tung oil finish. the scotchbirtes you guys are thinking of are more like 60 grit snadpaper where this is way less aggresive.

SW

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
the scoth brites hes talking about are like a sponge with sand in them. they are a very very mild abrasive. i use them for shining wood after i put on a tung oil finish. the scotchbirtes you guys are thinking of are more like 60 grit snadpaper where this is way less aggresive.

SW
I've never thought of describing them like that...good point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts