Painted my grips

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by tone, Nov 11, 2014.

1. tone

tone Member

Turned out pretty good. I thought the paint would be blacker but still looks better than the factory grips. The feel is way better, we'll see how long it holds up. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. Goodwrench13

Goodwrench13 Member

Nice I like it what paint did you use

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    If you prepped it right, several years. Used it on an xbox controller 11 years ago and it's still holding up fine. And that's been handled more than any firearm.

4. cicpup

Vermont
    [​IMG]

5. tone

tone Member

Haha he knows his spray paint ^ ∆
    |

6. Goodwrench13

Goodwrench13 Member

Ok cool ill have to get me a can of that

7. Cicpup know his spray paint? Hmmm you have no idea. :)

8. tone

tone Member

I roughed up the grips and cleaned them with acetone, I think it will be fine.

9. Two tricks when painting plastic grips, prep with PVC pipe cleaner, then paint with Krylon fusion primer. I have airsoft painted with krylon fusion after the prep that is still holding up 4 years later.

But let the painted parts sit to cure for at least a month. You can speed that up by baking at a very low temp in oven, no more than a very hot day 105F. USE a temp gauge do not trust the oven dial. Too much heat and the grips will warp.

10. cicpup

Vermont
    And if that nonsense was actually paint I'd agree with you. It's really just spray glue & sand and sets up within a half an hour.

11. cicpup

Vermont
    You sanded them? Yuck. I really can't say it enough, "Don't sand the grips". That slippery feel is not the plastic. It's the release agent used in the molding process. Sanding will not remove it all without completely destroying the texture. Scrubbing them for a minute with Ajax/Comet and an old toothbrush then degrease (Ajax dish liquid works perfectly) will prep them quite nicely without any damage.

You can paint right over that stuff with any color you want. It will smooth out the roughness a bit yet still provide a comfortable feel and firm grip.

12. cicpup

Vermont
    20 years of building contest winning automotive models you learn a few things.

13. tone

tone Member

Ya I sanded them up good! I wasn't too worried about i. If iI screw them up I'll just buy another pair. Hell I've got some 1911 grips that cost almost half as much as theJjcp set me back.