Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone im new to these forums but have been reading them for the past week and it seems to be great!

my question is i bought a 40 carbine and right under the shroud the big bulk of metal thats there and where the bolt on the side is attached to(forgive me i dont know the actual name of it) and it came like silver and mixed color and a bit ugly so i was wondering is there any kinda coating i can do to a part like that to say make it like a clean black without it actually ruining the gun or effecting it in a negitive way. if there is could you name typed of coating or where i could get it. thanks for any info
like i said im a bit newer on this but am eager to learn more.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you want to get a better look, I'd suggest scrubbing it with some steel wool to get the ruddy brown surface rust off of it. I would imagine anything that adds any thickness to the bolt carrier could impede cycling. I polished mine up and it looks really nice. I need to do something with the shroud now, cause the bluing on it is truly, truly awful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hello everyone im new to these forums but have been reading them for the past week and it seems to be great!

my question is i bought a 40 carbine and right under the shroud the big bulk of metal thats there and where the bolt on the side is attached to(forgive me i dont know the actual name of it) and it came like silver and mixed color and a bit ugly so i was wondering is there any kinda coating i can do to a part like that to say make it like a clean black without it actually ruining the gun or effecting it in a negitive way. if there is could you name typed of coating or where i could get it. thanks for any info
like i said im a bit newer on this but am eager to learn more.
Just wanted to give my 2cents on the question....

I used Rust-Oleum High Temp paint out of the can. Flat Black, and heat resistant to 1200 degrees....Cleaned and prepped the Dust cover and the cover the goes the length of the barrel (Forgive me I a gun noob myself). Then applied several light coats, then a couple wet heavy coats. Placed the two pieces on a cookie sheet and into a preheated over at 250 for 15min. Remove and let cool. Reassemble parts, Blam!!! Flat black upper!! looks killer. First thing I looked at when I first purchased the 995 was the discolored metal up top, it had to be addressed...
Little tip if you do decide to try this, use a socket to put the 2 nuts and screws back together as I found out the hard way using the little tool key I got with the gun. Ended up scratching it a bit during reassembly. Had to redo and use the brain on the second time around. If its done right it will look killer and if you take care of it, it will last awhile.....

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Then applied several light coats, then a couple wet heavy coats. Placed the two pieces on a cookie sheet and into a preheated over at 250 for 15min. Remove and let cool. Reassemble parts, Blam!!!
Sounds like the new gun cookbook- bam!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could always powder coat it in your oven. just pick up a kit and bake then you have a very durable finnish that will last the life of the firearm. i am considering doing that but i have to find a kit cheap as my hipoint is a budget firearm project and i don't want to turn it into an expensive one like the rest of my collection.

·
Registered
127 Posts
He's not talking about the shroud, he's talking about UNDER the shroud. Probably best NOT to paint that piece, wouldn't you say? Tolerances needing to remain somewhat loose and all for functioning?

The shroud can probably be covered with anything, I've thought about bedliner material for mine, as long as you keep the charging handle slot and ejection port functional.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts