Pennsylvania Democrats Angry They Can Now be Sued for Passing Illegal Gun Laws

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by tallbump, Oct 22, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

http://freebeacon.com/politics/pennsylvania-democrats-angry-they-can-now-be-sued-for-passing-illegal-gun-laws/

Pennsylvania Democrats are outraged after a bill was passed that allows gun rights groups like the NRA to sue localities for passing gun control measures that violate state law.

Many such Democrats said a provision forcing localities that lose lawsuits to pay the legal fees of the plaintiffs is particularly objectionable.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Pennsylvania-gun-laws-NRA/2014/10/21/id/602159/

Pennsylvania lawmakers passed a bill on Monday night that would give the National Rifle Association and other gun-rights advocates standing to sue municipalities over their local gun laws, even if they are based elsewhere in the state.

The bill, which has already been passed by the state's Senate, was approved by the House of Representatives and now goes to Governor Tom Corbett, who has indicated he will sign it.

Representative Daryl Metcalfe, a Republican from suburban Pittsburgh who was the bill's prime sponsor, said it will give standing to individual gun owners and the groups they belong to "such as the NRA" to battle local gun ordinances in court, whether they live there or not.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.Newsmax.com/US/Pennsylvania-gun-laws-NRA/2014/10/21/id/602159/#ixzz3Gs1htyeK
    Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

2. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Now if we could just get something like this passed on a national level, and make it apply to Executive orders, the IRS, the attorney general, senators & congressmen, etc.

3. You're welcome Philly. Lets get some suits rolling over there :p

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I like that they're angry for being sued, for passing illegal legislation...

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What do they call the law?

I'm thinking something like the "anti throw crap at the wall to see what sticks" bill.

I love it. Forcing legislators to check the legality of their stupid laws, before forcing citizens to take them to court to fix it, makes total common sense.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

um...

;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. I keep hearing something like
    "Fire arms Pre-emption bill"
    What ever that means

8. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

A good start.. now we need to see Federal Charges brought against the gun grabbers under USC Title 18.

Title 18 USC Section 241 - Conspiracy against rights

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured—

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

citation:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/241

9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

i know Cleavland's mayor wants to pass stricter gun laws there. He's done it before, but gets smacked down because they're stricter than state law

10. A law i never knew existed. I wonder why they call out "two or more"

So if one person try's to oppress me its okay?

11. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

If it's only one person then no one conspired.

12. If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured—

No conspiring

13. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

Title 18 USC Section 241 - Conspiracy against rights
    Can't convict someone of conspiracy unless they conspire, wich you can't do by yourself.

14. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

What if you are schizophrenic? :):D;):p:mad::confused::(:rolleyes::cool::eek:

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yes, it is...because you are doing it with someone.

16. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I can't wait to see whats going to happen. Already have some quotes!!

Mayor Nutter:

Mayor Nutter said he was “profoundly opposed” to the bill, as he believes it makes municipalities fighting gun violence more vulnerable to lawsuits by gun rights advocates. Governor Corbett has said that he will sign it despite widespread objections.

“Gun violence represents a particularly tragic epidemic in poorer communities in cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh,” said Nutter in a joint statement with Pittsburgh Mayor William Peduto. “Parents, family members, and community leaders are naturally compelled by concern for their loved ones to do everything in their power to combat the shootings that destroy lives. It is squarely at some of these responses by the community that H.B. 80 is now aimed.”

And good ole Mr. Rendell:

Former Governor Ed Rendell, who has worked with the gun violence prevention group CeaseFirePennsylvania, has vowed to target supporters of the measure in the November election. “This bill is outrageous,” he said last week. “People all over the commonwealth support the basic notion that someone who loses their firearm should report it.”

We all know it starts with this, when they come to get your guns and if they "fell" in the river, they can prosecute you for not reporting it!

But anyway I think this new bill is aimed more at the other "ordinances" municipalities are or will try to pass and make it a complete mess in the state. Travelling from one county to another could have been tricky if it was allowed to happen.

But they keep going on with "We the need to curb gun violence while preserving the rights of responsible gun owners" which we all know they are trying to slowly just take away.

Anyway off my high horse, I am happy this was passed as it looks like it will be the last law Corbett signs unless some kind of miracle happens and Wolf doesn't get elected and tries to bring his anti-gun policies into this state.

Speaking of which, have you noticed Wolf trying to back off his comments?

https://www.facebook.com/WolfForPA/posts/338150493023358

17. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

WE ARE NOT SCHIZOPHRENIC.... We are just inter-cranially multi-lingual.

18. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

All politicians and government employees should be personally liable for their actions.

19. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

That would be nice, but it will never happen.

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Good one!

So, since the new law specifically says that only local laws that violate state law are targets for suits...

This ass hat is essentially saying, it's OK if locals break state law.

Gotta love a public servant that takes that stance.:rolleyes: