People Under 21 Owning Handguns

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by GunControlIsGood, Jul 2, 2014.

1. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

Just wondering you guys thoughts about this. People between 18-20 owning handguns. Nothing really to do with a gun, it's just I know some people who are starkly against this and I can't understand why?

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Thanks to my dyslexia I read ' people owning under 21 handguns ':D
    So disregard

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    A- it's against the law.

B- frontal lobe development isn't usually finalized. Not that it's finalized by 21, but at least it's further along.

C- it's against the law.

Other than that, I'm perfectly fine with it. Yeah, I know, we trust 18 year old soldiers with guns, they can vote, blah blah blah.

None of those are anywhere near the same thing.

4. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Personally I wasn't responsible enough to carry at 18. But as far as shooting w my dad I knew firearms saftey. So I suppose it depends on the individual.

5. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    Owning I'm fine with, carry, maybe not.

6. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

I'm not fine with carry either. Just ownership. And in my state it's not illegal for someone under 21 to own a handgun that's state law, but fed law is 21 purchase age, so that's a gray area in my neck of the woods.

7. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

I didn't say anything about carry just owning them.

8. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Owning I'm fine with... Not disagreeing with the carrying part.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    According to the DOJ, in urban areas in 2006, 31% of violent crimes and 40% of murders were committed my those 21 and younger.

Obviously, a law abiding citizen of 20 years old isn't one of those guys. Unless he does something stupid, in which case, he becomes a statistic.

Doing stupid things at that age is pretty common.

Remember?;)

Anyway, with that sort of data, it's easy to see why the law is as it is.

10. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

Well I can agree I know a lot of people at the age of 18 that don't need to own ANY gun hell I know people who are 40 I can throw in the same boat. I suppose I'm looking at it from my perspective. By the time I was 19 I had a lot of responsibility. I had my own house and was an adjuster at an ammunition manufacturing plant, supporting a daughter and a wife in college. Hell I'm only the fresh age of 20 now and doing the same. Own a lot of handguns too. Legally of course. Because I know in MS you can own a handgun as soon as you hit 18. But an ffl holder isn't just allowed to sell you one. That's the gray in the state and federal law.

11. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Dunno. I owned long guns at 18 but I was a thick skilled hot tempered guy that spent too much time lifting weights n drinking. I managed to get into enough trouble w out a pistol! But that's me, I know a few 18yr old kids that would be responsible enough. Btw I lived on my own at 18 worked full time and was with wife #1.

12. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    It is? Granted you must be 21 or older to purchase from a FFL, but doesn't Utah allow 18 year olds to own and possess handguns?

(and you all thought I would go with Vermont law)

13. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

I am also a strong 2nd amendment supporter and surprisingly (especially because of where I live) I come across a bunch of "gun haters" and I can't say not all gun owners are irresponsible if I my self am irresponsible so I don't engage in activities that are such.

14. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

Overall it's realistically probably a very small amount of people that young responsible enough

15. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I see some 18 yr -20 yr kids that shouldn't be driving a car. I don't think anyone can make a blanket evaluation. It depends on the individual. But it's a mute point due to the law.

16. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

Agreeable.

17. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

There are states that someone can purchase a handgun private party at age 18. There is no federal law banning the private party selling of guns to someone under 21.

Heck Vermont has the age for private party at 16...

18. TN residents 18 and older may legally own a handgun. Just can't buy them through a FFL.

19. I don't know. I had long guns since I could hold my marlin 25. I feel I would have been responsible with a handgun when I was 18. But I was one of the married and soon to be dads in college and working at that age.

I knew plenty of kids I wouldn't want to own one. But I'm 24 now and still know a lot I don't trust.

Ajole has the best argument against. but I honestly feel that if this is a free country when you become an "adult" you should be free to make your own choices.

Many states allow you to own one at 18 but not conceal until 21. I think this is a decent meet in the middle. But I do not agree with the federal law on no ffl sales. It should be a state decision.