Perfecta .40 S&W

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by BCseacow83, Feb 5, 2016.

1. BCseacow83

BCseacow83 Member

Took out a couple of boxes of this for my JCP today and it shot really well. I have tried this ammo in my Glock 43 and thought it was very poor but am coming to realize that I either stink at shooting the 43 or it is inaccurate(chances are it is me as I am very new to centerfire handguns but have thousands of rounds in air pistol work in my past so really just getting used to recoil is my challenge.) In the 9mm it was all low and left but I am finding that is the case with the 43 no matter what it eats.

As for the .40 hi-point she loved it today at the range. I am starting at short distances of about 7-10 yards till I become more proficient. I was shooting groups of five and and was producing 1in same hole groups with the perfecta. At $14 a box of fifty I went and grabbed three more boxes at wally world on the way home. They were out but the sporting goods manager went and checked the back and they had some! If you have not tried this ammo it is worth it for the JCP.

I grabbed another box for my g43 to try this weekend as well. The stuff is a little dirty but a simple wipe down 2min cleaning and all is well again.

One last thing it was a nice moment when the group next to me stopped and looked to see who was shooting such tight groups and with what gun. I brought my g43, sp101 and the hi point. The hi point was by far the best for the day.

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Have the RSO or someone shoot your 43. That should eliminate the "is it me?" question.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. BCseacow83

BCseacow83 Member

Not sure if they do that where I go but that is a great suggestion. I talked with the guy at my LGS where I purchased and he said if it continues to be an issue they can look at it. I want to avoid doing that if it is simply me. I do have L-XL hands and it is a tiny(to me) pistol so grip may be the issue. I put some talons grips on it and they have helped but still not much to hold onto. My SP101 in 357 is almost as easy for me to shoot as the 43. Now my JCP, well plenty to hold on to there lol.

Total side note: At the LGS I held my first Hi-Point carbine, the 4095. I have never seen one in person and ya that's getting bought as soon as taxes land lol.

4. tjulian

tjulian Member

It could be just the size of the glock. I shot next to a guy from church last weekend. I was shooting my C9 while he had glock 27 in 40 sw. He wasn't to happy that he got out shot by a hi point. :)

He did say the 40 cal. Was too big for that small frame of a gun.

5. When i took my 4095ts out to the range for the first time i picked up a box of perfecta and a box of tula. The tula was 180 grain steel cased and the perfecta was 165 grain brass cased. I shot the tula first and then the perfecta. When the perfecta went off there was a noticable difference in the noise level. The perfecta was quieter. At first i chalked it up to a lower grain (i didn't notice it was 165 grain when i picked it up) since this was my first time using that weight bullet but then i inspected one of the shot casings. It was very slightly bulged around the part where the bottom of the bullet sat inside the case. I'd never seen that before so i said no more perfecta ammo. Did you notice anything like that when you shot yours? I will say that i was shooting at 25 yards and the perfecta hit where i was aiming. It just didn't look or sound right is all.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I had a clear indication proving perFecta is a bit
    under powered. Had a Browning Hi-Power with a minor malfunction,
    and the perFecta was short stroking the action. A Lot.
    Ran some WWB in there, no problems. perFecta?
    Short Strokes. Back to Back, every time. Definitely less power,
    and my rounds were all 115 FMJs in both brands.

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    I've seen that before, did not look like a big deal to me.
    Not sure which brand(s), but I have seen it. Probably had Zero to
    do with the low power of the loads. perFecta is just that way.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's not, if the gun is used for it's intended purpose. It's not a range or plinking or combat gun, its for a specific purpose, which is as a concealed gun or a BUG. Does that just fine. ;)

Anyone putting extended range time in with a compact or subcompact .40 is a fool.:rolleyes:

It's probably due to the crimp. Nothing to worry about, really.

If it works and shoots straight...that's good, right?

It's probably just a light load, slow velocity round. Could just be the powder though, you'd have to run it over a chrono or shoot steel at 100+yards and compare the "bang----ping" time to other ammo to be certain.;)

9. BCseacow83

BCseacow83 Member

I have not noticed them being light loads but I have limited experience. I did not look at the brass closely either. The perfecta I have is 170 grain. I have more to use this weekend and I will look closer.

10. BCseacow83

BCseacow83 Member

Well the good news is the 43 shoots perfectly fine as demonstrated by my wifes multiple center circle hits the FIRST time she fired it(first time with a handgun as well so proud!) A little tweaking and I was hitting where I was aiming. The perfecta 9mm seemed to be a bit less accurate than the federal we had as well but not so much I would not purchase it again.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If those darned guns weren't double the price of the other plastic pocket guns around, they'd be great.;)

My SIL has the 43, it's a LOT nicer to shoot than the PF9 or P11.:(

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Except that the PF9 is smaller, slimmer, lighter, and has one more round. The P11 is the same size, nearly an ounce lighter, and has TWICE as many rounds.

The 43 has, um, the Glock trigger. :blush:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. BCseacow83

BCseacow83 Member

It is the 1st glock i own, 3rd handgun, and I do like it and the misses loves it. I held the SCCY, the Khar, and one other similarly sized compact 9mm. I did not go in with the intention of purchasing the glock but when I held it it felt better in had to me personally. I most likely will get the other two at some point as well. Wish I had held the Kel-Tech but they are not around my parts too often.

On the plus side with a Hi-point JCP, Ruger SP101, and a glock all I need is a 1911 and I can hang out with any group of kids at lunch lol.

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah...notice I didn't say "better" or "better for carry", or "slimmer" or "easier to conceal" or "better for fighting off zombie gangs"; I just said it was "a LOT nicer to shoot"...because it is.;)

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I hear they're both made from Damascus steel. :rofl:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    [​IMG]
    :rofl:

17. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I prefer to shoot 155 gr in my 3" P40. The 180's are hard on the hand.

Good thing I have 1,000 155 gr bullets to reload.

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

The SCCY isaccurate, the trigger sucks, and it will torque the crap out of your hand.

Anyone that can't handle a Glock 27 is a girlie man. The 27 is a straight up muzzle flip. The SCCY twists counter clock wise.

The Glocks will eat the Federal aluminum stuff like a fat redneck at a Chinese buffet, so will the HiPoints. It is loaded pretty hot especially compared to the Perfecta. Examine the rounds as you load them into the mags to check for setback. I had a .45 round that I fired from a 4595 that was set back. It cycled fine. It did split the case! Don't try that with the .40's! :eek:

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Does it scare you? The trigger on my SCCY is better than the P11. Not that it's saying much! Glock triggers are much better than either one of those cheapies. I haven't fired a 43. I have fired the 42 and it was one accurate S.O.B. at 25yds!

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

<sigh>

You must have missed the 27 threads on every gun forum in the world debating whether or not the Glock trigger is awesome or sucks. I don't know how. Maybe this will help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=glock+trigger+sucks

The reader's digest version is:-
    • Glock fanbois love it
    • 1911 fanbois hate it
    • Wheelie fabois think it feels "weird" and just can't get used to it
    • The rest of us still can't figure out what all the above fuss is about. The trigger is what it is. If you like the gun, then shoot it and stop having these idiotic "debates." :rolleyes:

M'kay?