Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody tried the Perfecta 9MM 115gr FMJ from Wally World? I just picked up two 50 pks for $23 and change OTD. I just wanted something to plink with and thought it might fit the bill. Range reports would be nice, or I can give one whenever I get to go use it. Thanks in advance for your inputs :)

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, should have looked for it. I'll check the threads. Thanks

·
Just a Man
14,185 Posts
It's at my Wally World for 10.97 a box of .50..... I've got four boxes of it, and 3 boxes of the .45 lined up ready to rock...

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
I love it, real brass for the price of tula steel.

It used to be $14 a box at my wally world. until a couple months ago they dropped the price, ill keep buying it if it stays there.

·
Just a Man
14,185 Posts
I shot 50 of em up today... Good stuff...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yep I use this stuff all the time, works great I haven't had any problems with it and they dropped the price at Walmart 12 dollars even after tax for me for box of 50

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ive bought probably over 1000 rounds of it, never had a malfunction.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,872 Posts
I like it, works very well in everything BUT my Browning Hi Power (BHP).
But this was because I had the guide rod in upside down, (should have worn my reading glasses:p) I expect it will be tremendous now!
But it did uncover an interesting thing. It is noticeably weaker than WWB!
The WWB cycled the BHP but the perFecta would not! But that makes for an awesome practice ammo :cool:
I have bought 25 boxes so far, and now it is not on sale AFAIK :(

·
Registered
596 Posts
Whats your take on using ball ammo for self-defense?

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I assume your still talking about 9MM. IMO, HP is the only thing to use for self defense. Simply because of penetration issues. It does what it's supposed to upon first penetration. You have a better chance of a vital hit with HP due to splatter effect. Ball ammo could go places you don't want it to. Sheetrock will render HP relatively useless after it hits. Think about kids in the next room or your neighbors house even.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I assume your still talking about 9MM. IMO, HP is the only thing to use for self defense. Simply because of penetration issues. It does what it's supposed to upon first penetration. You have a better chance of a vital hit with HP due to splatter effect. Ball ammo could go places you don't want it to. Sheetrock will render HP relatively useless after it hits. Think about kids in the next room or your neighbors house even.
This might be true for 9mm, over-penetration was an issue during the Iraq/Kuwait war with U.S. troops. I'm just not sure if that is the same issue with 115 grain target ammo. 124 grain NATO is a hot round, the less expensive target ammo most civilians use isn't as potent.
I think with any caliber you have to worry about whats behind the target before you pull the trigger, that's basic hunters education. If you cant get a clear shot, dont take the shot, rule #1.
A lot of people carry .380 ACP, even though they prefer 9mm hollow points simply because they are easier to conceal. That being said, if ball target ammo is the only thing that will run 100% in your pistol that is what I would use in a fire-fight. Failure is not an option in a self-defense situation.
A good shooter knows what is being his target. If you know there are people in the room behind the target, don't take the shot. If there is a foot wide cement wall behind the target and there is an field behind the wall, take the shot. And...if you practice with 115 grain and are extremely accurate with it, why rely on a heavier load that has more recoil?
Just some things to think about, there is no time during a self-defense situation to take chances so any possibility of error must be eliminated before hand.

·
Just a Man
14,185 Posts
This might be true for 9mm, over-penetration was an issue during the Iraq/Kuwait war with U.S. troops. I'm just not sure if that is the same issue with 115 grain target ammo. 124 grain NATO is a hot round, the less expensive target ammo most civilians use isn't as potent.

I think with any caliber you have to worry about whats behind the target before you pull the trigger, that's basic hunters education. If you cant get a clear shot, dont take the shot, rule #1.

A lot of people carry .380 ACP, even though they prefer 9mm hollow points simply because they are easier to conceal. That being said, if ball target ammo is the only thing that will run 100% in your pistol that is what I would use in a fire-fight. Failure is not an option in a self-defense situation.

A good shooter knows what is being his target. If you know there are people in the room behind the target, don't take the shot. If there is a foot wide cement wall behind the target and there is an field behind the wall, take the shot. And...if you practice with 115 grain and are extremely accurate with it, why rely on a heavier load that has more recoil?

Just some things to think about, there is no time during a self-defense situation to take chances so any possibility of error must be eliminated before hand.
You coulda just told us how you felt about it, instead of asking others opinions first....

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,872 Posts
Whats your take on using ball ammo for self-defense?
In SHTF, no problem. Before, use the HP and get a GOOD ammo you can shoot accurately and reliably in your weapon. Do not engage at a distance over accepted SD ranges. ;)

You coulda just told us how you felt about it, instead of asking others opinions first....
:p lol
Don't be THAT GUY, Mr. BULL!

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well said!

·
Just a Man
14,185 Posts
In SHTF, no problem. Before, use the HP and get a GOOD ammo you can shoot accurately and reliably in your weapon. Do not engage at a distance over accepted SD ranges. ;)

:p lol

Don't be THAT GUY, Mr. BULL!
C'mon!.... I used a winky face, AND a cheesy smile face..... I can't get more non-offensive. ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1433370787.187091.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 81 Posts