Phoenix Arms HP vs. Hi-Point for conceal carry purposes

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Nu-Point, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Nu-Point

Nu-Point Member

What's your take on it?

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You get lighter but less energy, or heavier but with more energy.

Pick your poison. I've carried a C9, just to try it. It wasn't terrible.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

Kinda like asking which is the better family car, a fiat 500 or a chrysler minivan. 2 different animals in every aspect, and in the end it all boils down to YOUR personal preference, since you'll be the one carrying it.

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have both the HP25A and the C9. The Phoenix Arms pocket carries well in a #4 Blackhawk holster. The C9 in a Bulldog holster OWB, either open or with a cover garment. While possible, IMHO, the C9 is just too thick for IWB concealed carry, my preferred method.YMMV.

5. Nu-Point

Nu-Point Member

That's a good way to put it. I guess when you're in the city and parking is an issue you'd want to go with the Fiat

Is the HP25A considerably more reliable than the 22 LR version? I practically never see any 25 ammo so that's a huge factor, right now I can get a lot 22 LR for pretty cheap

6. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

The HP25 hobbled on the first round. Did not go fully in battery. After that it has run well.

I reload the 25acp and have enough supplies to last me a while.

I bought it to test 25 vs 22 out of comparable platforms. I was able to prove to myself that when comparing similar rounds, 35 grains HP 25 acp vs 38 grains HP 22 lr and 50 grains 25 acp fmf vs 40 grain 22 lr solids, the 22lr does not out perform the 25acp as so many claim. They are in fact nearly identical in performance.

7. I agree 100%. Two totally different guns.

There was just a thread out here on the Phoenix Arms for carry. I had a PA, nice shooter but I don;t think they are designed to carry with one in the chamber.

8. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I have carried the C9 for like 3 years. It's not terrible. I mostly carried it IWB. I am a skinny guy, so that might make a difference.

You need a good belt and a good holster for sure. With that being said, I did replace it with a S&W Shield due to the weight bad thickness.

I don't have any experience with the Phoenix, but I was considering a small .22 for ease of carry. Like others have said, there is no perfect answer.

Here's my take, if you're not going to carry the C9 because of the size or weight, then it's no good. Obviously the 9mm is a "better" defense round. But again, the one you carry is better than the one you don't

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Get a glock. :O
    I've had a C9 for years carried it awhile for giggles but it was OK to carry.

10. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

The C9 is a little bigger than the Glock 27/26 platform. .22's have ignition problems sometimes. I would go C9 over the .22. Heck if you want small look at the SCCY or Keltek P11.

11. moona11

O my god did you say P11. ;-)
    Even though the sh1t heads don't send free parts anymore I still love mine.

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

The guy is looking at cheap junk, so why not toss in the kRaptek11?

13. moona11

You liked it admitted so to mole.
    Pillow talk as he put it :p

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

I might be a proud kRaptek owner. We'll see when I hit the range with the suBBaBubba 2000.

15. Nu-Point

Nu-Point Member

Is 9mm even meant to be fired out of a mouse gun?

I can't imagine it'd be a pleasurable experience that would make me enjoy shooting it

A 22 LR though . . with cheap ammo, could shoot it all day. With a lifetime warranty and cheap pricing, wouldn't mind wearing it down a bit . . that's the goal ultimately

I have a thing for Saturday Night Specials . . with my state's laws though I won't be able to purchase one for 30 days though

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

Self defense or target? Make up my mind. For a .22 range toy? I would go to Ruger, M&P22 etc. Got the C9? carry it. The Keltek has a lifetime warranty to the OP. SCCY is lifetime to anyone who is holding it. Neither are range toys. Although the SCCY is very accurate. it is a twisty torquey little turd.

A Glock 42, and 43's are Mouse guns. I can't get excited about either one. I would like to try the 43.

17. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Even the KelTec, SCCY, etc....is almost $100 more than the.

To a lot of you that's probably nothing, but I can relate to the OP about being stuck in the price range.

He asked about conceal carry purposes.

The C9 can be carried. It's pretty heavy (for a compact) and thick, but certainly able to be carried.

The Phoenix will be much easier to carry....but it's a .22. I don't want to get shot with a .22. But I'd rather have a 9mm to defend myself with than the .22

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

They tend to be pretty snappy but usually much more manageable than an alloy framed .38 snubby with FBI loads.

And there are a number of SD round which the manufacturers have optimized for short barrels.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

19. Carried a phoenix 22 fpr a year due to budget. And I wanted pocket carry. C9 can't do that. I never had a problem. I took the mag safety out, one in the chamber with the slide safety on and the hammer down.

Cool little gun. I still shot tons of 22 through it when I have it

20. Hippie68

Hippie68 Member

Have both HP 380 and C9 and both Pheonix 22lr and 25. I guess it just depends on what I grab when I'm headed out, sometimes I carry both a larger and smaller. I also have a Taurus 905 9mm revolver and NAA 22lr/22mag conversion mini revolver that I also carry. The one thing that I do is shoot them all often as to get to know each one's quirks so I'm comfortable with whatever I have with me.