phoeniz arms

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by greg_r, Sep 14, 2014.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Couldn't sleep last night so I stayed up playing on the internet. Think I have decided to buy a Phoenix Arms. It will be the black version. $129 plus my furl charges $25, so $154 otd.

Now, do I want the HP22 or the HP25? 22lr is getting easier to find, but one pound of Unique will yield 3,890 cartridges. Besides I like to reload. Midway has 25acp brass and .251 bullets readily available.

This will primarily be a plinker/fun gun. Too many safeties, IMHO, to be a viable SD gun.

I'm leaning heavily towards the HP25. What say you?

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

If you reload take the .25
    I long considered either their .22 or their .25 for a deep conceal carry gun till I came across a steal of a deal for a .380 pocket pistol.

3. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Get the .25acp. My sister in law has one, and its a great little gun. All steel. Single action, decent trigger. Great price. .25acp is expensive, but if you're going to reload, go for it.

4. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

I have an HP22A in the Rangemaster Deluxe Kit. It comes with a lockable case, 5 inch barrel, 3 inch barrel, cleaning kit, 2 mags and some other stuff I cant remember...lol ! It was $172 delivered to my local FFL dealer. The safeties are a snap once you are used to them. I carry it SD sometimes. Because it is single action, I keep the slide/trigger safety off and the hammer safety off and keep one bullet in the chamber. To make it shoot the first round you have to pull back the hammer and of course pull the trigger. Its actually safer to carry that way than a revolver. And it shoots great !!! Also very easy to change barrels once you do it. Good luck !!! Got mine from Landos Armory on the internet.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  5. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

I've got two of the HP-22A's, one in black and one in nickel. They're one of my favorites when it comes to backyard plinking. I had to remove the extractor from one of mine and file it out a little to get it to extract the spent casings, but no problems other than that. There are many reports of frame cracks at around 3-4K rounds on the internet, so don't expect it to be something that's going to last a lifetime. I'm changing the recoil springs on mine every 500 rounds, hoping that will prolong their life. Good thing is, they have a lifetime warranty if the frame cracks. I needed some recoil springs a few months back, and it took quite a while before I was able to reach Phoenix Arms by phone.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  6. rickm

rickm Member

If u are going to reload for the little 25acp the brass is hard to find when u shot it it likes to play hide and seek from u lol and trying to find once fired brass for sale in nearly impossable and when u do people are wanting a arm and 2 legs for it i have been able to come into a few hundred just by keeping my eyes open and doing some trading and get ready to have a few fingers mashed when seating the bullet have yet to find someones fingers small enough to stay out of the way when placing the boolit on the brass when seating unless u have a 2 y/o handy.

7. greg_r

I'm used to the brass gods getting their share. :) I use brass catchers and spread a sheet on the ground. At the indoor range I just sweep up what is in my lane.

I have found a supply of new brass and bullets. Is placing a 50 grain .251 bullet on a case really that much harder than placing a 55 grain .223 bullet on a case? Serious question?

8. Branth

Branth Member

I've heard .25 is a real pain to load. You've got such small volumes of powder with such tiny casings, after all. You'll probably need a special loading tray. Not to mention .25 caliber bullets aren't terribly common in sporting goods stores, so you'll have to get them online.

Really, just get the .22 .22 ammo is hard to find right now, but that's not gonna be a permanent situation, and when everyone else is shooting factory ammo they didn't have to load themselves at half the price of your annoyingly finicky handloads, you'll regret it.

I had a Phoenix .22. I really liked it - It was reliable, compact, and very inexpensive, and the lifetime warranty was nice. You may want to mod some safeties so it's not like solving a jigsaw puzzle to shoot, and you definitely want to stay away from hot .22 loads like CCI Stingers, and you should really replace the recoil spring after every brick you put through it, but for $150, it's a steal!

9. I have to HP-22A in black and love to shoot it and even carry as a BUG, Did buy new safety bar from factory than modified one in gun so I could drop the mag and change with out playing with the safeties. If I have to send it back just change out safety bar than good as new. The .22 has more power than the .25.

10. bigmfkp

bigmfkp woodsman Member

I have the HP-22 in nickel & I was very impressed with its performance for being a inexpensive pistol. I bought Mine from Buds for $129.00 & it shipped free to My FFL. The safety mechanisms can be a bit redundant at first but with a little use this wont be a problem. There is a modification You can do to the safety on YouTube but I personally don't recommend doing any modifications to a weapons safety. As with all guns it is important to clean this pistol after each use. I have not experienced any problems with the HP-22. It has been My fishing partner for a while now. I taught My Nephews how to shoot with the HP-22 specifically because of the safety's on the weapon.
    Happy & Safe Shooting Friend. :D

11. greg_r

$7.496 per 50 rounds of 25acp vs $7.99 for a 100 round box of the good Winchester .22lr. So you are correct that .22 is half the price. As far as "annoyingly finicky handloads" don't know where you got that from.

Most mouse guns themselves are prone to be somewhat "finicky" and center fire cartridges are known to be more reliable in them.

I am happy to see, BTW, that 22 Long rifle is becoming much easier to find. Been able to get if fairly regularly, but in the past two months it's been on the shelves every time I've walked into the LGS. Wal-Mart has even had it lately. Happy to see the flea market scalpers can't sell it around here at their exorbitant prices any more!

12. Never shot a 25ACP i have the black 22lr version. the safety's are super annoying, i have been planning on disabling the magazine safety. of course it hasnt been much fun in the last two years. ever since i got it 22lr has been gold. so it hasnt seen a lot of can busting action.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

They "feel" almost exactly like shooting a .22LR handgun in the same size.

Energy levels are similar.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. interesting, surprised that 25ACP didnt become insanely popular to reload during the great 22lr drought of 2013-2014

15. I've got both the HP22 and HP25. They're a nice gun, yup the safeties are a real PITA. I'd go with the HP22; personally if I were going to go 25ACP I would go with a Raven or a Sundance -a lot less money.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

A buddy who reloads tells me that the .25ACP is difficult to reload. The work is exacting, small, and there's not much room for experimentation. Very little to entice reloaders, even when comparing to saving expense for new ammunition.

Still, I agree that between the .22LR and the .25ACP, the 25 has a very minor advantage in terms of reliability-of-ignition as a SD cartridge over the .22LR.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. Branth

Branth Member

I was referring more to the difficulty of measuring very small amounts of powder and putting them into really tiny cases, not necessarily finicky at the range. I've never loaded .25ACP, but the data calls for less than 2 grains of powder, usually more like 1.5gr max! That's a TINY amount of powder, and a very small difference in powder would have a big effect on such a tiny case. It also seems to me that such small cases are going to be prone to spillage when dumping powder, since it'll be harder to get a grip on them when putting a powder funnel on them, and a very small amount of lost powder that might be unnoticed could turn a normal load into a squib.

18. greg_r

Ok, sorry, took your remark wrong. I would only have to touch the cases twice, once when putting the case on the shell holder, once when flicking it off. I have micro disc for the powder, so no funnels either.

I have researched the HP22 and HP25 quite a bit. One thing I am hearing is the HP22 frames have a history of cracking, not found any reports of the HP25 frame cracking yet.

19. Branth

Branth Member

I never looked much at the .25, but with the .22 you can mitigate the frame crack issue by swapping out recoil springs every 500 rounds and staying away from super-hot ammo. If you buy it new, frame cracks are covered under the lifetime warranty, too, so be sure to fill out your warranty card.