Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, recent updates to WPAFB policy may make it advantageous for me to get a .38 snubbie. The requirement is that I would have to get written permission (which looks like it'll probably be rubber stamp) and that I must have it unloaded and locked in a container before going on Base. Because I think more administrative handling leads to greater risk Unintended Discharge and because repeated loading and unloading a revolver will not cause bullet setback, a revolver makes more sense to me for this application.

Knowing that 1) I'm cheap 2) I want a .38 snubbie so that I can put on my fedora and double-breasted suit and cosplay being Sam Spade... what 38 snub would you suggest?

On a related note, how interchangeable are speed loaders for 38 wheelies?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Texas Shooter

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I'd recommend the Ruger SP101. The purely .38 Special version is much less expensive than the .357 Magnum version, but you'll still get the robustness of Ruger's construction.

*Edit: I just looked at Impact Guns, and now, the .38 Special version is over $600 like the .357 Magnum versions are.

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Get the Rock Island. You said cheap. Its reliable and is a decent shooter
^^^ This. Unless you are going to become a hitman it is going to spend it's lifetime just "being there" in case you need it. It will give you what you want, is reliable and inexpensive. If your State allows it, I'm to lazy to run a check in the system, you can use a cross draw holster when you are in the car. I'm right handed and when I travel on personal business I wear a cross draw with the snubbie on my left front side. If a threat presents itself at the drivers door, it's fast and easy to draw and fire through the door.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Are those Rock Island revolvers good for high-volume training? I'm not a fancy brand aficionado of any sort, so if a revolver can handle a good 10,000 rounds of +P without any need for a trip to the gunsmith, that's all I ask of it aside from reasonable accuracy.

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
I tend to agree with Moonz and here's why. First, it will please your "cheap" cells. Second, it holds 6 rounds - not the 5 that most of the others have. Third, it comes with the "Sam Spade" wooden grips, which are easier to conceal, but also has larger rubber grips that fill the hand better.

I will say that the NIB action is rough - think HP. Shoot the hoolies out of it and it will start to smooth out after 100 - 150 rounds. Oh, and it uses standard #10 speed loaders.
IF you decide to go with a 5 shot, consider the Rossi 351. Good trigger, fairly smooth action, comfortable grips and still fairly cheap - way below Smith or Ruger, often below Taurus

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
Are those Rock Island revolvers good for high-volume training? I'm not a fancy brand aficionado of any sort, so if a revolver can handle a good 10,000 rounds of +P without any need for a trip to the gunsmith, that's all I ask of it aside from reasonable accuracy.
Don't know. About high volume. But its said you can do +P but not a steady diet. Last I heard. I've used +P and not had any issues but I also don't use +P to punch paper or steel. Thats what I use target loads for. Another reason to reload its cheaper

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
I tend to agree with Moonz and here's why. First, it will please your "cheap" cells. Second, it holds 6 rounds - not the 5 that most of the others have. Third, it comes with the "Sam Spade" wooden grips, which are easier to conceal, but also has larger rubber grips that fill the hand better.

I will say that the NIB action is rough - think HP. Shoot the hoolies out of it and it will start to smooth out after 100 - 150 rounds. Oh, and it uses standard #10 speed loaders.
IF you decide to go with a 5 shot, consider the Rossi 351. Good trigger, fairly smooth action, comfortable grips and still fairly cheap - way below Smith or Ruger, often below Taurus
I found that a simple deep clean took out a good bit of roughness with the trigger. And I dry fired the shit out of them while watching TV.

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
I did an article on these a while back. RIA does not recommend a regular diet of +P, though they do say that using hot loads for carry is OK. I shoot mostly 158 SWC and 3.2 grn od BE for a practice load. POA/POI is the same as my carry loads

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
*Edit: I just looked at Impact Guns, and now, the .38 Special version is over $600 like the .357 Magnum versions are.
I used to shop at Impact Guns all the time but now their prices have gotten ridiculous. I rarely darken their doorway now. Probably I have not been there in over four months.

Reactions: Think1st

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't know. About high volume. But its said you can do +P but not a steady diet. Last I heard. I've used +P and not had any issues but I also don't use +P to punch paper or steel. Thats what I use target loads for. Another reason to reload its cheaper
I'd probably buy 38 dies and handload mousefart cartridges.

(If I can find enough components to feed it)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: moona11

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did an article on these a while back. RIA does not recommend a regular diet of +P, though they do say that using hot loads for carry is OK. I shoot mostly 158 SWC and 3.2 grn od BE for a practice load. POA/POI is the same as my carry loads
BE?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
6,866 Posts
Ok Mr. Lawson. Here is from two users of the Armscor/RIA M200 and M206 Snubbie. Aesthetically, not like any $500 to $900 revolver.
However, they shoot true to POA every time we shoot them. My wife loves the M206 hammerless Sbubbie.. Even with her Arthritis of hands and fingers. At 10 yards she shoots every time a max of 2-3" groups.

Now, I can say this. We have had both for perhaps 5 years now. Perhaps a bit less. Triggers were a bit stiff/grainy at first. However, I decided to try squirting some of my CLP into every orifice in the frame. Worked perfectly on both revolvers. Before we ever even got them broke in, triggers became pretty smooth and today are really smooth after broken in. One of these Snubbies, hammer or hammerless will suit you very, very well indeed.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/8/8/review-rock-island-armory-m206-revolver/

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
It's funny how +P .38 Special ammo can cause additional wear on a revolver. I honestly have not shot much .38 Special ammo of any kind, except for some that Dane brought to the range. I also bought a few hundred rounds of PPU +P for familiarizing a friend with revolvers. Anyhow, we only went through a half box of that because my GP100 was too big for her hands. I ended up giving two boxes to a neighbor who has a .38 and needed ammo for it.

Anyhow, I really don't notice a difference between regular .38 and +P, so that was why I wondered if +P could really have a heavier wear effect on a revolver. When I shoot revolvers, I like to shoot the same stuff during training I'd use for carry. It sounds like for budget revolvers, the Taurus might be the best bet if you want to feed it +P for all range sessions.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I used to shop at Impact Guns all the time but now their prices have gotten ridiculous. I rarely darken their doorway now. Probably I have not been there in over four months.
They really have gotten nuts with their prices, lately. My LGS actually has better prices for a lot of pistols I've looked at.

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
BE?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Bullseye, Unique's faster brother

You can get a Charter Arms Undercover .38 for $325. But that $325 is current pricing. Prior to the current insanity one could be had for around $275.
Charter makes a good revolver for the price, though if I went Charter, I'd got .44 Special Bulldog. Bigger hole, cool name

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
@ greg-r It's two words? Too tired to walk downstairs and look

1 - 20 of 201 Posts