Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
If my SNS history is correct (I never really got into the SNS revolvers)I believe the Windicator is manufactured by Weihrauch GmbH and as the HW-357 model. Late 50's into mid 60's Weihrauch exported a lot of Zamak pistols which were sold under various names by a number of importers; for example the HW-357 was once marketed by FIE as the Titan Tiger. Of course, models have evolved with time, but as @OldOutlaw pointed out, melting point laws make the some of the Windicators illegal to sell in some states; and @histed mentioned it's C9 heavy so my conclusion is it's gotta be Zamak.

Reactions: histed

·
Banned
7,108 Posts
If my SNS history is correct (I never really got into the SNS revolvers)I believe the Windicator is manufactured by Weihrauch GmbH and as the HW-357 model. Late 50's into mid 60's Weihrauch exported a lot of Zamak pistols which were sold under various names by a number of importers; for example the HW-357 was once marketed by FIE as the Titan Tiger. Of course, models have evolved with time, but as @OldOutlaw pointed out, melting point laws make the some of the Windicators illegal to sell in some states; and @histed mentioned it's C9 heavy so my conclusion is it's gotta be Zamak.
Yep, Zamak. These laws were to get rid of the cheap SNS.

·
No longer broke...
21,911 Posts
The Windicator is supposed to have a steel frame.

·
No longer broke...
21,911 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Some Windicator models do have a low temperature melt point of the frame. Some states do have minimum melt point temps on pistols. Here is a common statement seen on sales for a 357 or 38spl snubbie. For theor 4" also I'm sure.
"Not legal for sale in SC, WI, IL, or any other state with low melting point laws."
wi . has never been one of these states.

·
Banned
7,108 Posts

·
What the Hell was that?
826 Posts
I tend to agree with Moonz and here's why. First, it will please your "cheap" cells. Second, it holds 6 rounds - not the 5 that most of the others have. Third, it comes with the "Sam Spade" wooden grips, which are easier to conceal, but also has larger rubber grips that fill the hand better.

I will say that the NIB action is rough - think HP. Shoot the hoolies out of it and it will start to smooth out after 100 - 150 rounds. Oh, and it uses standard #10 speed loaders.
IF you decide to go with a 5 shot, consider the Rossi 351. Good trigger, fairly smooth action, comfortable grips and still fairly cheap - way below Smith or Ruger, often below Taurus
I used to have the old Rossi 851, one of the few revolvers i had that i really liked. Never had a problem with it, accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, recent updates to WPAFB policy may make it advantageous for me to get a .38 snubbie. The requirement is that I would have to get written permission (which looks like it'll probably be rubber stamp) and that I must have it unloaded and locked in a container before going on Base. Because I think more administrative handling leads to greater risk Unintended Discharge and because repeated loading and unloading a revolver will not cause bullet setback, a revolver makes more sense to me for this application.

Knowing that 1) I'm cheap 2) I want a .38 snubbie so that I can put on my fedora and double-breasted suit and cosplay being Sam Spade... what 38 snub would you suggest?

On a related note, how interchangeable are speed loaders for 38 wheelies?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I bought the Taurus 856 It's a Wonderful 38 Special 2in 6 shot

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,917 Posts
My biggest concern with the setup would be frame life, which is what prompted my question. With the weight of a longer slide and the heavier spring, that seems like it should keep the frame from too much battering.
Should do it :thumbsup:
Did you order the slide and barrel as separate accessories? Where did you order them?
This beauty was in fact the product of someone who REALLY Needed MONEY. It was on consignment at my #1 LGS for Transfers ($10!!!) for the paltry sum of $658.xx and included:
1. LWD longslide
2. LWD 6.61" 460R barrel
3. COMPLETE Glock 21, well-used Gen3
4. 100 rounds of UNDERWOOD 460R ammunition!
I added up the prices of all items NEW and arrived at a figure somewhere north of $1500
and decided I could not let it get away. My LGS ROCKS!

Yeah, the two-legged types are the ones I'd be worried about, too. The nice thing is that anything appropriate for bears is certainly appropriate for human predators.
No KILL like OVERKILL!

·
Premium Member
9,396 Posts
This beauty was in fact the product of someone who REALLY Needed MONEY. It was on consignment at my #1 LGS for Transfers ($10!!!) for the paltry sum of $658.xx and included:
1. LWD longslide
2. LWD 6.61" 460R barrel
3. COMPLETE Glock 21, well-used Gen3
4. 100 rounds of UNDERWOOD 460R ammunition!
I added up the prices of all items NEW and arrived at a figure somewhere north of $1500
and decided I could not let it get away. My LGS ROCKS!

No KILL like OVERKILL!
I need an LGS like yours.

·
Premium Member
9,396 Posts
No, they know the Boom Sticks are around and they boogie. They hunt by scent predominantly.
That's probably because the density of hunters is much lighter in your neck of the woods. Here in the Mainland, there are places where the hunters are more clustered on a routine basis, so the bears do learn to go after game hunters take. They have been known to follow hunters, waiting for them to shoot something.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
That's probably because the density of hunters is much lighter in your neck of the woods. Here in the Mainland, there are places where the hunters are more clustered on a routine basis, so the bears do learn to go after game hunters take. They have been known to follow hunters, waiting for them to shoot something.
Agreed. Here, in my part of AK (The Interior): the animals to hunt are caribou, bear and moose.

Depending on the area, pretty low hunter density. When I was in the Lower 48, I'd avoid the woods during hunting season. A Holes shot at anything that moved.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,917 Posts
I need an LGS like yours.
They are small, and off the main path, I think they do this to increase traffic. They also have all in stock items online, including the consignment stuff. Same way I got the DEAGLE, it was on consignment but I saw it before it was listed! Cool Shop...

http://www.terrehauteguns.com/

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Still waiting on the wheelie to come in.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rabidwookie

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,346 Posts
Still waiting on the wheelie to come in.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
It would of been easier to come up and buy one of mine.

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
It would of been easier to come up and buy one of mine.
You ain't just whistle'n Dixie. :)

I suppose I could still cancel the order and give you the $250 :D

But, truthfully, it's not that big a deal. I knew it'd take a good long time.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

181 - 200 of 229 Posts