Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,917 Posts
So which one did ye Select??
I'd default to a 3" 357 Mag if it fits the space limits every time...
But yeah, if you need a shorter barrel,
38 Special +P capable is fine. 357 snub is a horrible waste of powder, but having the strength of a Magnum frame is lovely, unless the weight is a factor too.

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Well, the LGS still hadn't gotten in the M206 yet. Probably because of COVID import backups. The furnace went out and I needed to finance that so I went down to the LGS, told them to cancel the order, then too the cash and put it on the furnace bill.

Now I get to wait and save up again. :)

Maybe I'll talk myself into a new Colt Diamonback. ;)

Wait, what's the difference between a Diamondback and a Detective Special? Hmm... I guess I got some reading to do.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
I went back to the LGs yesterday and ordered it (again).

I'm looking forward to it. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
When you get it, work the hoolies out of the release catch. It will be stiff and rough. Gun oil helps, but only repeated movement actually smooths it, kinds like HP mag springs. The wooden grips look retro, but they are not comfortable to shoot. The supplied rubber grips are better. It uses standard 6 shot speed loaders.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,346 Posts
When you get it, work the hoolies out of the release catch. It will be stiff and rough. Gun oil helps, but only repeated movement actually smooths it, kinds like HP mag springs. The wooden grips look retro, but they are not comfortable to shoot. The supplied rubber grips are better. It uses standard 6 shot speed loaders.
And clean the snot out of it. I bought 3 of em in a package deal and they were full of gummy grease. Once they were cleaned up and lubed the triggers smoothed out a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
And clean the snot out of it. I bought 3 of em in a package deal and they were full of gummy grease. Once they were cleaned up and lubed the triggers smoothed out a lot.
AMEN, brother. I forgot about that. They really are the Hi Point of revolvers

Reactions: Rerun

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
I've got a small ultrasonic cleaner. I use a Balistol solution for small gun parts. I might be able to take the grips off and fit it in.

Or maybe I should break down and buy a larger one. (off site link to 'zon):

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,346 Posts
I've got a small ultrasonic cleaner. I use a Balistol solution for small gun parts. I might be able to take the grips off and fit it in.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
You could or just clean it. But it never hurts to have new toys.

·
Premium Member
36,948 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Dude.🙄

Just put it in a stockpot of boiling water. Get it out, blow it off with some air while it’s hot enough to evaporate any liquid, and oil it up. Done.

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Reactions: Rerun

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Dude.🙄

Just put it in a stockpot of boiling water. Get it out, blow it off with some air while it’s hot enough to evaporate any liquid, and oil it up. Done.
I've got buddies who use boiling water for their BP rifles.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: ajole and Rerun

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
So now I have to get a holster for it.

I don't want modern Kydex!

Half of the reason I'm getting this is the old school vibe. If I don't pick it up and feel like I'm channeling Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe then it's just wrong. It's got to be leather.

I'm thinking the Don Hume JIT Slide or something similar.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
26,360 Posts
I have a similar leather slide for my G20, courtesy of the mole not knowing what hand he shot with. I like it for more formal CC, like when I'm wearing a sport or suit coat, but it works for any loose over shirt really.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,346 Posts
I've got several of those types got a deal at one point for several different sizes. They work okay. Just don't do wrestling around with it on you'll loose your gun. A fitted leather will hold better.

·
Premium Member
26,360 Posts
I think Galco makes form fitted ones, possibly with a hammer loop for retention? It's been a while since I went holster shopping for my revolver...

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
I've got several of those types got a deal at one point for several different sizes. They work okay. Just don't do wrestling around with it on you'll loose your gun. A fitted leather will hold better.
So a thumb-break is a better option for this application?

I've used the JIT Slide for several different autos and they always held well. My favorite was the P64 RADOM with custom wattle grips from Marschal Grips. Put that in the dark read JIT Slide and it was a really attractive looking setup and the holster always held well. Never wore it to Judo, however. :) I ended up letting it go to a buddy. He carries it but complains about the tiny sights.

I'll expand my search into thumb-break options. Thanks.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
So something like these? ('Zon links to holsters)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,224 Posts
So now I have to get a holster for it.

I don't want modern Kydex!

Half of the reason I'm getting this is the old school vibe. If I don't pick it up and feel like I'm channeling Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe then it's just wrong. It's got to be leather.

I'm thinking the Don Hume JIT Slide or something similar.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Tandy Leathercraft has several good kits for revolvers.

A basket weave pattern is perfect for a .38 revolver.

Rerun

201 - 220 of 229 Posts