Pick a 38...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    One of these days. One of these days. I remember mentioning to Greg_r that my wife would kill me if I set up a reloading bench in the bedroom like he did. We're going to buy a bigger place at some point, and believe you me, I'll be reloading like LAX Ammo then.

undeRGRound likes this.
  2. Think1st

Florida
    Well, I am being sensitive to his needs. He's the one putting up all these posts about the need for more ammo capacity to deal with multiple attackers. If he's going to limit his ammo capacity with a revolver, he needs a round that'll hit with some real authority.

SWAGA likes this.

3. I'm going to bid on one of those Taurus 856 on Gunbroker. See if I can get one all in (shipping and FFL) for less than $300. I don't have a .38 snub nose.

lklawson and OldOutlaw like this.
  4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My first handgun was a 357 Magnum revolver. I still have a 6-in Ruger Security 6 in the safe. If I want to shoot 357's, I can. What I want is a 38 special snub.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

RandyB, HPlover, Rerun and 2 others like this.
  5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

If I wasn't going to be forced to load and unload it twice a day, I'd agree with you. But all that administrative handling and opportunity for bullet setback tells me that a revolver is a smarter option.

OldOutlaw likes this.
  6. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Hammer or hammer less?

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Hammer.

undeRGRound likes this.
  8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

What you want and what you need are two different things.
    It’s science you know.

You could always go for a .22lr, hard to tell from the real thing.
    Lethal to a mile and a half on top.

[​IMG]

Think1st likes this.
  9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I'd vote for the 454.

Or you could just not rack a round. It will save your cheap ass a ton of ammo and money. I'm so used to racking a round that half the time I don't bother. Or you could manually load the 1st round then put in the mag.

undeRGRound and ajole like this.
  10. Think1st

Florida
    Which is why with your concern about multiple attackers, you need the hardest-hitting round you can get when you have limited capacity.

Granted, there certainly is something to be said about Moonz's .454 idea. The Ruger Alaskan snubby would fill that role.

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

High capacity 9mm and don’t carry in the chamber.
    No setback no nada.
    Meets all your ‘multiple attackers’ doom and gloom scenario requirements too.
    Or get 4 RIA’s for 24 rounds.

undeRGRound, moona11 and Think1st like this.
  12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Get BP and just remove the cylinder

SWAGA, histed and lklawson like this.
  13. Think1st

Florida
    They make some good pouches for extra cylinders, too. I bought a couple of extra cylinders and pouches for them when I got my Remington 1858 New Army. The cylinder pops right out with no problem.

SWAGA likes this.
  14. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

One thing about the 38 is it was designed for black powder. The case is larger than it needs to be for modern smokeless powder. Load density ranges from about 30% to about 50% with standard loads. You mentioned Unique, which is my favorite pistol powder. A maximum charge of Unique is about 50%. BE is a better powder for the snubby I think. A maximum charge is just over 40%. A minimum charge of BE is closer to 30%. It’s not hard to double charge a case if you don’t pay 100% attention to your reloading.

Another thing to watch when reloading 38 spl is jacketed bullets in standard loads. Some loads for jacketed 38 spl loads are marked in the manuals as DNR. Do Not Reduce. The issue is sticking bullets in the bore because the velocities are low.

lklawson likes this.
  15. + 1 on the Armscor M 200 and M 206 I own one of each, shoot them quite a bit and couldn't be more pleased with the performance of both of them.
    I run mostly Tulammo 130 grn FMJ in them with no problems.

Rerun and lklawson like this.
  16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm sorry, but that's a dumb idea and I'm not ashamed to say it to you.

Carry with one in the chamber. "Israeli Method" is stupid and, even under the current tortured circumstances which I'm referring to, it's still dumb.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Rerun likes this.
  17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I get it. However, when I look at the most modern stats, a decent, quality, personal defense style .38 +P has a similar performance profile to .357 Mag self defense rounds. Modern ammunition has really closed the gap.

If I were hunting medium sized game with Keith bullets, then yeah, I'd be right with you. I just don't see the evidence that the Mighty 357 is as head and shoulders over .38 as it was 30 years ago. Heck, even the "FBI Load" made significant inroads and has a proven track record as a <cough> "man stopper."

I think .38 is fine.

Capacity, yeah. I agree that's an issue. Because of the issues being forced on me by the "lock up unloaded" requirements, it may be a drawback that just have to live with for the time being. And, yeah, I get the "New York Reload" too.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

This idea amuses me. If I could find a repop of one of the two double-action BP cap-n-ball revolvers ever made, in a snubbie config, I might be tempted, just because it's me. :D

I've looked for them. Trust me. The fact that they're not, legally speaking, a "firearm," has appeal. But no one is making reproductions of the one and the other is said to have a horribly heavy DA pull and the only repops I've seen cost as much as 3 new revolvers, when you can find them. I think the repop may be out of production. I may have to look again, just for fun. It's been about 3 years since I last looked for them.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

Or... you could load them up with IMR 4227. It fills most of the case, and you get a neat little fireball to boot.

lklawson likes this.
  20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah, it looks like the .38 is a reloader's paradise.

I've only loaded maybe 500-ish rounds of 9mm with Unique so I don't have a lot of experience with it, but so far, just going on how it meters, loads, and the performance I've seen, Unique might turn into my favorite pistol powder too.

The warning is heeded and thank you for pointing it out. When I reload, I doubt I'll be using jacketed much, if at all. I'm cheap so HC is probably going my standard.

I was actually giggling to myself about finding some blue coated HP HC's, loading them, then telling everyone I found some antique Nyclad .38's. :rofl:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

histed likes this.