Pick a 38...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Sep 15, 2020.

1. ynot

ynot Member

I know I’m WAYYYYY late to this thread and you already ordered the Armscor and I think you made a good choice. I picked one up used a few months ago and it shoots great.
    I also own an EAA Windicator that I’ve put about 4K rounds through with no problems.
    Both cheap, both reliable, and both accurate.

undeRGRound, lklawson and Frank2041 like this.
  2. histed

histed Supporting Member

My complaint with the EAA is that it is heavy - too heavy for me to carry on a regular basis. That aside, they are built like a tank and the weight does help keep felt recoil down

3. Claymore

Claymore Member

I had one, shot the hell out of it, mostly 357 magnum, never had a problem, timing was right on.
    A dear friend of mine needed a nightstand protection, and he was on a very tight budget, so I gave it to him

4. histed

histed Supporting Member

Share the love. Never know, might just make a new 2A supporter

OldOutlaw likes this.
  5. Claymore

Claymore Member

The guy is like a rock, we worked together, we rode together, his wife and mine are very close too.
    Don't need no smart ass remarks about my friendship with him, and his family

6. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Calm down! I see NO smart ass remarks about any thing you just said.
    Who are you even talking to or about? histed by chance???

What histed said is a compliment to you for what you did. Better realize that.

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

If that's the case, I sincerely apologize for my comment.
    You see, there are too many inside jokes and comments here that I don't get, or care for, so again I apologize for my out of place comment.

OldOutlaw likes this.
  8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    About a comp, I do not have one yet, and did not think it would be necessary...
    That is "recommended" for...
    1. Shorter Barrels (1911's and short-slide Glocks)
    2. For lighter weapons
    I have the 6.61" barrel, which helps, long slide, which adds weight, and also the Seattle Slug Plug, adds 3.5oz right in the grip. The weapon does not feel top heavy with this! Extremely well balanced. In fact, I thought the entire thing was more tame in 460R than a short barrel (4.6") Glock in 10mm, shooting Buffalo Bore 220gr full power stuff. I built the gun up before I fired it, I was very pleased. Recoil Mitigation, ACCOMPLISHED!

450 SMC is just 45 Super, for the most part. Yes, that is an awesome setup!
    Darn near ANY 1911 can do that. Many cheaper ones even...

Think1st likes this.
  9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    My biggest concern with the setup would be frame life, which is what prompted my question. With the weight of a longer slide and the heavier spring, that seems like it should keep the frame from too much battering.

Did you order the slide and barrel as separate accessories? Where did you order them?

undeRGRound likes this.
  10. Doesn't the Windicator have a Zamak frame?

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Mostly. Except that the SMC uses Small Rifle Primers, which is kinda a big deal. Better for hand loading, longer brass life, reduced primer flow, etc.

10mm performance and pretty much the only thing that a +P rated .45 pistol needs to do it is new springs.

I'm still disappointed that my Remington 1911R1 isn't +P rated. :( I've thought several times about buying an RIA just because they're +P rated.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

undeRGRound, moona11 and Rerun like this.
  12. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I don't do .38 in +p. Most of what I'd carry it in, is a snub. I do not want the additional muzzle flash/blast or flip.
    I prefer a full or semi wadcutter that's going to tumble through the target

13. missiledefender

A friend of mine bought it as his "Bear Gun". Ummm no. If I am in Bear Country and I am: .40 or .45 semi auto with nothing but hard cast or FMJs. I want to be able to run, jump and hide, all while firing wildly...which you ARE going to do. I wasn't sure of his plan, stant there, bang 5 slow shots at a charging bear and then save the last one for himself?
    I bought a .22 short NAA Revolver a while ago. The guy at the gun shop asked why. "Its my Bear Gun"..."What, how...WHY?!" said the man behind the counter. I said; "Im going to pop you in the knee if I see a bear....I just have to out run you now".

See you out in the woods, everybody

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    undeRGRound and SWAGA like this.
  14. Think1st

Florida
    I'd be more than happy with a standard-length barrel .44 Magnum for a bear gun. You can run through a cylinder of that pretty well, and you'd be able to move around just fine with it. The standard-length barrel would also ensure solid accuracy, unlike the snubby barrel of the Alaskan.

I'll tell you where the Alaskan would work, though. You could use it as your daily carry piece, and you'd be able to stand over the bad guy and say, "This is a .454 Cassul, still one of the most powerful handguns in the world..."

Of course, if you hit someone with it, the bad guy probably won't be in any condition to listen to your Dirty Harry speech.

15. missiledefender

I agree, I'd go with a .44 too. MOST of the Bear Threats here in AK aren't really a threat. MOST of the bears will leave you alone. Unless, theyre injured, scared, protecting young or a kill. Best defense is just being LOUD in the woods. Let them know that youre there.

SOME stuff will actively come after the two legged squishie thing. Polar for example. I'm close to the Arctic Circle but it's another 130 miles PAST Fairbanks (110 miles from here). Brownies might too. Most of those attacks, you trespassed into the bears AO.

The weapon of choice is still a shotgun or a rifle. The handgun is just for the "Oh S&*T Moment". Pants down or picking berries.

I'm more worried about the two legged animals out in the woods, not the four legged. We have some seriously maladjusted, chemically enhanced, armed residents.

When I go out into the woods, I blast off a round (in a safe direction) just so the bears know: Hu-Man with boom stick, bye.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    In many places, a boom in the woods tells bears there will soon be a gut pile or better to eat, so come and get it!

Might want to rethink that idea.

Think1st and Claymore like this.
  17. Think1st

Florida
    I've heard about that, too. In fact, I read that some bears have gotten smart enough to stealthily follow hunters from where they park and enter the woods because they know that people entering the woods from certain locations will be hunting.

18. histed

histed Supporting Member

I really don't know. I remember looking for a handgun for my wife and she thought she would get a revolver. The sales guy told us the Windicator was a beast, but I wanted to handle it anyway. I remember it being about the same weight as C9 Hi Point - more than I'd carry.

19. Think1st

Florida
    Yeah, the two-legged types are the ones I'd be worried about, too. The nice thing is that anything appropriate for bears is certainly appropriate for human predators.

undeRGRound likes this.
  20. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Some Windicator models do have a low temperature melt point of the frame. Some states do have minimum melt point temps on pistols. Here is a common statement seen on sales for a 357 or 38spl snubbie. For theor 4" also I'm sure.
    "Not legal for sale in SC, WI, IL, or any other state with low melting point laws."