Picked up 22's tonight.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dan13, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Want to Walmart tonight late and found sporting goods putting 22's in case picked up a box of a 1000 40 grain 22 longrifle for $50.87there are Black copper round nose M-22 by Winchester.:)

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

We had an entire endcap full of .22lr this weekend locally. It was limit one brick of 525 per person, and it was gone today, but it lasted saturday and sunday on the shelf.
    The hoarders are finally letting up.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Seeing more and more 22 at our Wal-Mart. Like Takin said, it's sitting on the shelves just a little longer.

Dan 13, let us know how the M-22's function. I generally don't buy Winchester 22, they stick in the chamber and have to poke them out. Even in my revolvers.

4. Grant

Grant Member

The M22s are some of my favorites and are nothing like the WWB. This is quality ammo. Great score.

5. mej24

mej24 Member

Was in Hillsville VA Monday, plenty of .22 of every brand. Still priced a little high, but did get some CCI Stinger's for $10, box of 50.
    Like I said, a little high, but they are the first ones I have seen in almost 2 years.
    Local Academy has had various brands for several weeks now at regular prices.

6. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

in my experience the m-22's are one of the worst 22lr available. The are not reliable at all and I do not buy them anymore when i see them. winchester 22lr in general is terrible.

the only thing winchester 22lr is good for is bolt action or pump action, or revolvers.

I even purchased several boxes of the winchester super x hyper velocity, it's around 1400-1500 fps, and amazingly, even that did not function reliably!

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    LOL! That's so funny. I see a lot of hate for your beloved Thunderbolts, and
    folks tend to like what you dislike. Depends a lot on the guns one has, I imagine...

I had some trouble with usually good Federals in a Taurus PT-22 I had.
    No FTF, but some were too weak to cycle the action! :eek: But the
    PT-22 is a heavily sprung oddball style of action, with a tip up barrel.
    Those same Federals worked fine in everything else I used them in! :D

8. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

yeah people have been hating thunderbolts for a long time now, because they have a notorious reputation for being cheap and inconsistant and dirty as all get out. They have gotten better though, so many folks who continue to ramble about the thunderbolts are people who haven't tried any of the ones that were made in the past 5 years, they're holding on to a previous reputation.

Out of all my 22's, the thunderbolt and golden bullets are 2nd to CCI as far as reliability. I don't know why, but they're just reliable, they're dirty, but they work. Winchester, i can't say the same for.

When i judge 22 ammo, i don't do it in one firearm, i do it in all of them, and then i make a decision. In my experience thunderbolts and golden bullets have been very realiable. Better than the federal automatch or the blue box champion. The automatch is decent stuff but will give me an occasional hangup. Winchester pretty much consistantly fails in most pistol 22's that I've seen it used in. The stuff is crap. My 10-22 and 597 will shot the winchester ok, but even then i still see failures.

9. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I am going to tarnish my reputation here, but I am siding with rippinryno on this one. I have several 22's in various action types. Winchesters will hang up each of them, even revolvers.

I have 3 that do ok with them. A H&R 649, a NAA Mini, and sometimes a H&R Versa Pack. The first two you have to poke the empties out anyway, the last will usually extract, but not always, then you have to pokeit out from the muzzle.

I too prefer CCI and Remington Golden.

10. undeRGRound

INDY
    Mod Edit to remove a deleted post that was quoted.

[​IMG]

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    :confused:
    How did this turn into a RIP-Fest?
    All I did was note that Ribby likes ammo that others usually
    turn their nose up to... :p I made the meme for m00nz
    (to use as he pleases, I quoted his "yoda-speak") :p :p

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    Mod Edit to remove a deleted post that was quoted.

I think you should both put each other on ignore...

I almost thought we were gonna have a 22lr Summit, shoot-out so to speak...
    and not at each other! :eek:

13. mej24

mej24 Member

Admittedly I've only had to get serious about fps and brands of .22 in the last few months. My old .22 rifles would shoot anything I put in them. This Sig Mosquito has been tough to feed. Since it was designed around the CCI Stinger (or so I have read), I have only been trying to find bullets with a fps of 1400 or over. And only within the last few weeks have I found any. CCI standard velocity and basicly anything "match grade" wouldn't cycle. Thunderbolts and Winchester Super X do work. Picked up some Stingers yesterday and going to try them this weekend.

14. mej24

mej24 Member

FWIW the Super X is 1333fps, and Thunderbolt's are 1255fps.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Rippy, Talon, that's enough. Rippy, you are baiting for a threat and Talon is just itching to give it to you. That's enough! I'm popping this thread up into the moderator section where we will discuss if anything more is going to be done by then just publicly smacking you around for misbehaving.

16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

The SIG mosquito should have two different recoil springs one for average 22 and a stiffer one for HV 22. Mine shoots anything I feed it. Keep it clean and lubed.

17. aguila gold is one I have found that cycles good in 22 semi auto's it will work great when you cant find cci stingers

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    On another note, got your 2 mags from "E", thru "m00nz" for RACH...
    whatta convoluted ME$$! :rofl:

19. undeRGRound

INDY
    How is that gun made? ALL Metal??? :eek:

20. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Keep up boy. It ain't that difficult. ;-)