Picked up an "Ortgies" in a trade

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by Hdonly, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

I traded a friend of mine a Taurus Millenium 9mm for one of these. She just wanted a home defense gun and I just like old guns period. I think the values are about equal so we both won on this deal. Mine is a later manufacture near 1923 or 1924. It is in fairly good shape and shoots good. Mine is a .32 auto.

Attached Files:

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Hey, that's pretty neat looking.

Is that a grip safety I see?

Without looking it up (yet), I'm guessing, Single Action, striker fired, no frame/slide safety, with a grip safety. Neat.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

Yes, a grip safety. Striker fired and striker takes care of the case ejection. Pretty cool little gun.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Like on Hi Point firearms.

I've read that using the Firing Pin (striker) to double as an "ejector" was common on old Colt and Browning striker fired designs.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

I understand that a bunch of thes were imported to the US and sold dirt cheap, although it is a well made gun as were most all guns made in Germany. I have read that all it takes to convert to .380 is change the barrel. Some magazines were labled for .32 and .380.

6. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Nice! That was a good trade, congrats. Some of these older firearms are classics and made a lot better and shoot a lot better than the firearms today. I have a 1943 S&W 38 spl, 2-3/8 inch barrel. I have fired all brands of ammo in that pistol and +P. Just can't hurt it.

7. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Nice example of an Ortgies Pocket Automatic ( .32 ACP cal. (8 shot) mfg. 1920-1928 ). Looks to be in good shape so value would be somewhere from $150-$400 depending on actual grading of it.

The Ortgies are really neat little pistols and are actually getting more attention recently by collectors. You did good on the trade. ;)

8. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

I don't plan on shooting it alot, but I put a few magazines through it and for a little pocket pistol, this thing shoots good. Very accurate. My friend and I are both happy campers!!!

9. papataylor

papataylor Member

Amazingly well made firearms. I see them regularly go for $300-$400. I'd hold onto that, not many examples of that level of fabrication exist.

Fun fact: there's no screws (and I believe pins) to be found anywhere on an Ortgies