picking out a press, etc.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by adam, Jan 29, 2008.

1. I'm getting 400 bucks back Feb 8 on my tax return and I wanna get started loading ammo. But with only 400 bucks and not having anything for reloading I would like some suggestions on what I should get I wanna reload for 9mm and 40cal i have some brass for both but nothing else. Does anyone know if I"ll be able to get everything I need for this amount of money?

2. screwylewie

screwylewie Guest

Not counting components you can get a basic reloading setup for a little over $100. For $400 you could get a mid-range set-up and enough components to get you going.

Lee makes solid reloading tools for very reasonable prices. Lyman and rcbs cost more but also make very good reloading tools.

picking a reloading press would depend on what you intend to load and how much you intend to load. If your volume will be low (several hundred rounds) and you want to keep cost down, a single stage press would work. However if you intend to load thousands of rounds at a setting you might want to get something automatic or semi-automatic, perhaps a lee turret press.

3. adam,

I purchased the Lee Deluxe Turret Press Kit, price was right at $100 minus shipping. I am very happy with it and can load 100rds in about 30 min. Search some of the online retail sights and you can find a good deal on the kit, buying directlly from Lee is an option but it will cost a bit more. That will leave you plenty of money for dies, case trimmers, powder trickler, Lee Charge Bar etc etc. Make sure you get the Lee Factory Crimp Die because it works so much better than trying to seat and crimp in the same step.

[​IMG]

4. I agree with RFH here, the Lees turret press is what I use for my .50 AE loads and I love it.

5. I love my Dillon but with $400 total I can't recommend it, even their square Deal B is about that much and it will only load 1 caliber for that price with no components.

With that said I'll strongly agree with the others, LEE is the way to go.

Just a reminder, Get a good manual or two (or to conserve money go to the library, they have reloading books), also don't forget a scale and calipers along with a kinetic type bullet puller (you will make mistakes along the way).

A brass tumbler isn't a necessity at this point, just look through the different posts and see how some others are cleaning their brass.

Now for the rules:

1) Take your time
    2) Don't get distracted as this can lead to kabooms
    3) Ask questions
    4) Read the manuals
    5) Ask more questions

6. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

bobotech, do not trust only one scale! If you use a digital, also weigh it on a balance scale.

7. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Look into the Hornady kits. They are giving away bullet heads with the purchase of their dies, and presses.

Also check you local classified ads. You can get a good used set-up with everything for a couple of hundred bucks. That is how I got started.

http://www.hornady.com/get_loaded.php

8. I have that same digital scale from MidwayUSA. Mine only reads in 0.2 grain increments. Although it seems accurate most of the time, I've noticed that it will "drift". I primarily use the digital scale for weighing bullets, cases, etc. I find it hard to beat the accuracy and sensitivity of the Lee scale.

wizard93

9. Ari

Ari Guest

$94 LEE BREECH LOCK CHALLENGER PRESS KIT

[​IMG]