Pictured: Why I HATE IMR-700X

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Branth, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Branth

Branth Member

It is precisely engineered to not flow AT ALL.

Attached Files:

2. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

If static is causing that, try rubbing the outside of the hopper with some dryer sheets.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Impressive!

I would never, ever, have thought that was possible.

Note to self....never use anything but dippers with 700X.

4. Branth

Branth Member

Could it really be just static?

5. I was having a problem with static so I started wrapping a paper towel sprayed with furniture polish around my funnel. Took care of my problems and I didn’t have to buy anything.

6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I have only ever seen powder bridge like that due to either static or moisture problems. My guess is static just by the way it looks. Empty the hopper, use a used dryer sheet and wipe the hopper inside and out. That will take care of your static issue for you.

7. alrod013

alrod013 Member

Loaded up some 700X for my .45 Carbine today and did not have any issues. It metered pretty well in my cheapo powder dispenser. May have varied by .01 to .02 grains, but still withing specs.

8. Back2School

Back2School Member

my dipper and trickler don't have these problems

:)

9. That sounds dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

10. Branth

Branth Member

I guess my issue is I don't know how far it varies because I don't have a digital scale. I just know it's farther off from level than I'm willing to tolerate.

The other thing is, .2 grains is a LOT when .5 grains is the difference between max and starting load in 9mm.

I'm sure it's fine for shotgun and large cases where +- .2 grains is nothing, but for smaller handgun cartridges? No thanks.

11. noylj

noylj Member

Any powder with only 0.5gn from start to max is the wrong powder.
    To determine max load, a reloader must exceed max, so 0.2gn by itself isn't an issue--it's using the wrong powder and possibly having pressure spikes.
    Wash non-metal parts in warm soapy water and let dry--do not rinse.
    Powder measures should have vibrations to settle powder. Either "knock, knock" on down- and up-stroke or hope your press vibrations are enough.
    One must have some reliable way to inspect the charge in each case--either an RCBS lock-out die or eyeball.

12. Branth

Branth Member

Any powder is the right powder if it's the only one you can get your hands on! :p

And besides, 9mm is one of those cartridges that doesn't have a lot of wiggle room in charge weights to begin with. Most of them are only in the .5 to .8gn ranges anyway.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

...now it sounds REALLY Dirty