Pilot Error?

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by BadMonk, Feb 22, 2016.

1. First to the Mod or Admin...if this is in the wrong forum, sorry but it's my best guess since it deals with my first trip to the range with my used JCP.

3 rounds in the mag. Rack the slide. Shot 1 goes. Gun cycles. Shot 2 goes. Gun cycles. Squeeze the trigger...nothing there. No tension, no bang. Trigger moves a fraction of the full travel. Move the trigger a few times, remove my finger, move it again... nothing. Drop the mag. Rack the slide to remove the round 3.

This happened more than once and I only fired maybe 21 rounds. Often, issues aren't a gun problems but operator problems.

I don't know so I'm asking. Is this what happens if I'm not pulling the trigger all the way back to stop? Or if I'm not letting the trigger move forward to reset? When I let it, it would eventually 'catch' or whatever and I'd fire the round. New gun to me so I'm pretty sure it's me, right? Any ideas? Thanks.

2. histed

histed Supporting Member

Monk - I'm guessin' here. Trigger didn't reset? Empty ejected, fresh round fed, but no trigger reset? Sounds like a weak or "limp" wrist. HP is notorious for needing a solid hold. Someone else will be along soon, though. I may be full of condensed monkey milk - often am.

3. Don't short change yourself, histed. I thought the same thing but wasn't sure...and the more I read, the less I knew.

It could be a limp wrist since I'm more used to 9 mm than 40. This weapon feels a lot different than my 9s and even my .357 Mag.

Thanks.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    B-Monk, is the weapon looking maybe a bit dirty in the action?
    I'd lock the slide back and drop the mag, get a really good look.
    'TED has great advice also, but you can do this before the next
    firing session. Could be a bunch of gunk in there not letting it
    cycle fully, sounds like something in the firing pin channel, maybe...

Since it is USED, anything is possible. I think we need to consider
    any possibility at this point. Something Rotten in Denmark :eek:

5. Good thought re: dirt. But I had this apart and thoroughly cleaned before firing. I even contacted MOM a couple weeks ago and got a new firing pin assembly and recoil spring assembly. Then, smoothed out the ramp and so forth...nothing major, just the simple things that every weapon seems to need. Thanks.

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Make sure the right side grip is seated properly and the screw is good and snug. Sounds stupid but it's important to the trigger working properly.

7. Checked out the right grip and that's in good working order. After spending time dry firing, I'm thinking limp wrist is my problem. No issues doing repeated dry fires. The trigger worked 100% of the time. The new recoil spring is stiff during the last inch or two of travel. That may be a hint at where the limp wrist happens. I could have been lazy/distracted with basics - grip, stance, trigger control, etc.. In two years at this range, I've never seen so many people at one time and everyone wanted to carry on a conversation. That's why I go early in the morning rather than at noon. Not that I'm anti-social or anything.

8. histed

histed Supporting Member

^^^^ Agreed! Time and a place for socializing. Serious practice time ain't it.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So there was a round in the chamber when you experienced the dead trigger?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. To the best of my recollection, yes.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Remember, on HP firearms, the Firing Pin/Striker acts as the "ejector" also. If the slide doesn't cycle enough to reset the Striker, typically the Striker (Firing Pin) will continue to protrude in its forward position and will catch on top of the next round as it feeds, keeping the rounds low and causing nose-in jams. While not impossible, I'd guess that it would be rare for the Striker to not reset but allow the round on top of the mag to ride forward enough to chamber.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Yeah...that's a real good point. Not sure if that would be a/the problem with my gun but it's definitely something that I need to keep in mind. I have a new firing pin assembly in the gun. So if it's hanging up then it wouldn't be the assembly but something in the chassis or slot where the assembly resides. Time to take another look at that area.

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Make sure the springs aren't tangled up together.