Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a novice when it comes to handguns. I do own a 1911, and I do love it. This weekend, I got to hold a Hi-point handgun for the first time. Maybe it is just me, but it feels like all of the weight of this gun (9mm) is along the slide. I also checked on a Taurus 9mm, and in contrast, the weight felt like it was along the grip, settling it right into my hand.
Beyond comfort, can anyone give me pros/cons to the feel of each? I would think that horizontal weight would make it harder to keep on target. Then again, I could see how enough of it could help balance to gun.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Point's blow-back design makes their pistols heavier overall than others of the equivalent caliber, and since this extra weight is in the slide, they do tend to be top-heavy. However, this extra weight makes them more stable for some people, and quicker to re-acquire the target due to less movement after the shot.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I think the weight helps when shooting my JHP 45. Keeps the recoil down to a good gentle kick.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The less complex blow-back design compared to the 1911 requires the side to be heavy in order for the pistol to function. However, since the barrel is fixed to the frame (quite unlike the 1911), it is inherently more accurate. This is not to say that the C9 is more accurate than all 1911's, just that the design, itself, has a greater potential for accuracy since the barrel is fixed in position and only the slide moves.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
The less complex blow-back design compared to the 1911 requires the side to be heavy in order for the pistol to function. However, since the barrel is fixed to the frame (quite unlike the 1911), it is inherently more accurate. This is not to say that the C9 is more accurate than all 1911's, just that the design, itself, has a greater potential for accuracy since the barrel is fixed in position and only the slide moves.
I think the fact hat its made from Zmack is what makes it more heavy. I have an FEG-PA63 it is blow back design and the slide is made of steel and is realy light cmpared to my c9.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think the fact hat its made from Zmack is what makes it more heavy. I have an FEG-PA63 it is blow back design and the slide is made of steel and is realy light cmpared to my c9.
Nope, the inherent weight of Zamak has nothing to do with it. The 9x19 cartridge used by the C9 is more powerful than the 9x18 used in the PA63; therefore the inertial mass (slide) has to be correspondingly greater. The Hi-Point .40 and .45 slides are even heavier.

·
Premium Member
36,056 Posts
Add in spring weights to that equation as well. Some day I should weigh my Mak slide, the CZ 82 slide and the HP slides and see if they all make sense.
Also, the Zamak is less dense, right? So it is bigger as well, that could add to the unbalanced feeling.

·
Registered
114 Posts
...Also, the Zamak is less dense, right? So it is bigger as well, that could add to the unbalanced feeling.
Per Wikipedia - The density of steel varies based on the alloying constituents, but usually ranges between 0.280-0.291 lb/in3. Zamak's density is listed at 0.25 lb/in3, about 86% - 89% of steel. So a zamak slide would have to be 11% - 14% larger than a steel slide, but being a zamak slide is not main reason for being so big and heavy. Blow-back design requires a heavier-than-normal slide regardless of material.

·
Premium Member
36,056 Posts
Right, so add that to the spring issue and the 9X19 vs 9X18...and we agree! ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Right, so add that to the spring issue and the 9X19 vs 9X18...and we agree! ;)
To an extent. To be pedantic, the slide is as heavy as it is by design, but as big as it is because of the less-dense zamak (but only by 10% or so).

·
Premium Member
36,056 Posts
Right. I am saying the bigness of it (due to being less dense) puts more of the weight (necessary for the blowback design) up higher/wider than on a denser slide, thereby making it feel less balanced. Really, we agree! I think?

·
Registered
114 Posts
At first, I thought the balance was odd, and it is definitely different than, say, a High-Power or a Glock, where more weight is in the double-stack magazine and grip, and the slide is lighter. But the balance is not that much different than a 1911A1 with its long snout, 5" barrel, and a mere 7 rounds in the grip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the whole debate on weight and balance issues lies with the individual user, which is why so many different handguns are balanced differently. It is much like the whole .45 vs. 9mm debate that has waged epically for nearly a century.

As to the weight issue? Yep, the HP pistols are heavier than an equally sized gun of almost any manufacturer, and yep, the balance is different and weighted more on the slide and muzzle. I find the C-9 balanced quite well though, but once again, it's a matter of individual preference.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Yup, heavy on the top and heavy at the front. The C9 is OK but the .40 and .45 are not balanced very well. I kind of miss the old alloy frames they used to make. A tad heavier but better balance and feel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts