Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this (Princetontec SwitchRail) on Amazon (ASIN: B08CC75ZWM) a few months ago and decided to see if it would be useful as a pistol mounted weapons light. As it turns out, well, sort of. It's pic-rail mounted, has one pressure switch and uses separate white and red LEDs. The light has three settings; first press gives a low red light, second press gives a brighter red light, press and hold gives a brighter white light.
At first I couldn't get it to slide on the rail of my Ruger American Pistol. But with 1-2 minutes work using a small sharp blade on my Swiss Army knife on the light's rail mounts, it slid right on. It will not work if you don't have the pic-style rail. The next issue was the switch. There's a single pressure pad on the back/top of the housing. It's fairly easy to get too, if your booger-pickers aren't too big. Needless to say, just today finally, I superglued a small 5mm-ish rubber domed foot, which I took from an old keyboard, onto the very center of the pad to make it way easier to turn the light on/off. Maybe I should have used something bigger on the pad?
What's the downside? A) It's 2-1/8" long and 1-3/8" wide. This wouldn't be compatible with any off-the-shelf holsters that I know of. B) You'll want to modify the switch, like stated above, to be easier to turn on/off when it's mounted to a pistol. C) You'd need to practice turning it on and off in a typical pistol handhold to get used to it since it's not the same control format as the normal weapons light. D) It's not really going to be worth a damned beyond 15 yards.
Other than the price, why bother? A) It's a dimmer red light when first engaged. Which is handy when it's really dark. It doesn't mess up your night vision like a bright white light would. This also makes it less likely to be seen around a couple of corners in your home at night. B) The red and white lights are bright enough to properly light up the the target within most average homes.

It's probably going to stay on my Ruger 9mm pistol. I have something else for the HP 995ts.
Has anyone else tried this thing? What do you think?

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
I came across this (Princetontec SwitchRail) on Amazon (ASIN: B08CC75ZWM) a few months ago and decided to see if it would be useful as a pistol mounted weapons light. As it turns out, well, sort of. It's pic-rail mounted, has one pressure switch and uses separate white and red LEDs. The light has three settings; first press gives a low red light, second press gives a brighter red light, press and hold gives a brighter white light.
At first I couldn't get it to slide on the rail of my Ruger American Pistol. But with 1-2 minutes work using a small sharp blade on my Swiss Army knife on the light's rail mounts, it slid right on. It will not work if you don't have the pic-style rail. The next issue was the switch. There's a single pressure pad on the back/top of the housing. It's fairly easy to get too, if your booger-pickers aren't too big. Needless to say, just today finally, I superglued a small 5mm-ish rubber domed foot, which I took from an old keyboard, onto the very center of the pad to make it way easier to turn the light on/off. Maybe I should have used something bigger on the pad?
What's the downside? A) It's 2-1/8" long and 1-3/8" wide. This wouldn't be compatible with any off-the-shelf holsters that I know of. B) You'll want to modify the switch, like stated above, to be easier to turn on/off when it's mounted to a pistol. C) You'd need to practice turning it on and off in a typical pistol handhold to get used to it since it's not the same control format as the normal weapons light. D) It's not really going to be worth a damned beyond 15 yards.
Other than the price, why bother? A) It's a dimmer red light when first engaged. Which is handy when it's really dark. It doesn't mess up your night vision like a bright white light would. This also makes it less likely to be seen around a couple of corners in your home at night. B) The red and white lights are bright enough to properly light up the the target within most average homes.

It's probably going to stay on my Ruger 9mm pistol. I have something else for the HP 995ts.
Has anyone else tried this thing? What do you think?
Had one its a POS. Wanted to like it but it sucks.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
The switch is more difficult to use. But it works well in tight spaces. What about it sucked? Just looking for the important details I don't have yet.
For the amount of light and supposed easy of use its pointless. Basically any light is better and easier to use. Its a waste of money. Just trying to save ya a few bucks. There is actually cheap easy off lights with real lights that pop on and off you gun that at least give you clear light. You don't want crap light when you need to see if your going to shoot a burglar or your wife. We've tried all the gimmick crap here over the years. Buy a real light either one that attaches or a flashlight. It will save you time and money

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the amount of light and supposed easy of use its pointless. Basically any light is better and easier to use. Its a waste of money. Just trying to save ya a few bucks. There is actually cheap easy off lights with real lights that pop on and off you gun that at least give you clear light. You don't want crap light when you need to see if your going to shoot a burglar or your wife. We've tried all the gimmick crap here over the years. Buy a real light either one that attaches or a flashlight. It will save you time and money
Okay. Fair enough. I don't think the light it gives is that bad though.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
Try something like this. Its cheap and just works. Goes on and off with 1 hand and you can actually see what your shooting. There are a few different makers and sizes to choose from.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts