Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,332 Posts
A BIG plus one to the Safariland 578 GLS holsters. I have several, and they do a great job of adjusting to be a very solid fit on various guns.

I don’t remember where I got them, but I have a few horizontal carry mag holders. They look possibly printed, but very clean, none of the lines or ridges you sometimes see on cheap stuff.

Maybe like these?

Or nylon

Then, there’s this...leather, adjustable.

Or this one? Different number, but it says it fits many of the same mags?

Reactions: Visper

·
Administrator
28,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have an R&R for my P11 and like it. I'm just not sure if it will fit the optic. The way they're constructed, I'm not sure I could dremel it to fit either. I think I'll ask if their MC1sc holster will fit an optic.

I personally have the Safariland one and it fits EVERY pistol I have - totally adjustable - fits my Glock 19/17/26/34 great even fits my Glock 43, Glock 20, CZ-75B, Berretta M9, Taurus 24/7 I can go on and on - fits them all. Haven't tried it with my Mossy as it is "newish" but I have it set up for my 34 at the moment. I have it set perfectly. The adjustment on it is a snap and works great in my opinion. They have a "slim" pro model also.
I have a Safariland for my G19. I'm not big into the paddle but I might be able to change. :)

I have them for my 43, the mossy don't fit those - not adjustable 3d printed ones from eBay.

Get the double stack Kydex ones like these - they are adjustable and have single stack/double stack versions.

Kydex Mag Holders
I like it. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
28,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I stuck the RomeoZero on last night. I didn't install the steel "shield" on it because I wanted to be able to use the irons. I have to learn how to "find the dot" and, apparently, one of the easy ways to do this is to find the irons. I couldn't do that with the shield installed. Took it out to my garage and zeroed with my laser trainer. I'll have to take it to the range to confirm zero but it should be well inside of an inch at 20 feet.

I'm still waiting on a response from R&R holsters but I know that the Desantis that Mossy is selling does, in fact, fit the dot.

(from: An Official Journal Of The NRA | Review: Mossberg Optics-Ready MC2sc 9 mm Pistol )

I don't want the double mag carriers so I'll probably get that single.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,992 Posts
I have to learn how to "find the dot" and, apparently, one of the easy ways to do this is to find the irons.
Yup it definitely is. Even with that it will take time but will pay benefits in the long run.

Love my pistol red dots. Was weird at first - especially carry wise, but you will get use to it.

I was getting so tired with the irons... looking down the sights, thinking it was fine... and hitting the 8 ring at 6 o'clock... Yeah you learn to adjust to that at the range, but in a defense situation you may not have time to "adjust". Then again hitting the outside 8 ring at 6 o'clock is still gonna hit the bad guy at 7 yds, just don't aim for his nuts lol.

·
Administrator
28,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I was shooting it side-by-side against the Taurus GX4 TORO yesterday. It hated the FMJ reloads I was feeding it. Failed to go back fully into battery many times. The GX4 ate the reloads like candy. However, the MC2sc ate the Winchester Forged steel-cased ammo without a hitch the first time out.

I took it home and cleaned it again. I'll have it out over the weekend again to test with different ammo. I'd hate it if something went wonky on it and I have to send it to Mossberg for a fix.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,019 Posts
I'm about to dial in a Rome0 from Sig...
It's on a Springfield. Guess which optic I have on my Sig Legion X5? A Leupold DPP LOL

·
Administrator
28,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
have them for my 43, the mossy don't fit those - not adjustable 3d printed ones from eBay.

Get the double stack Kydex ones like these - they are adjustable and have single stack/double stack versions.

Kydex Mag Holders
I bought the double stack and it does not fit the magazine for the Mossberg mc2sc. I've decided to keep it because it does fit my glock mags. I thought I was going to have to hunt around some more but on a lark I decided to compare the mossy mag 2 my Kel-Tec p11 mags. Wouldn't you know they are so close to the same with that I could not tell the difference eyeballing it. Would need a caliper to find out which is actually wider. The Mossberg magazine fits the same magazine holders that I've been using for my kel-tec (Smith & Wesson Model 59).

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Reactions: Visper and histed

·
Administrator
28,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I was shooting it side-by-side against the Taurus GX4 TORO yesterday. It hated the FMJ reloads I was feeding it. Failed to go back fully into battery many times. The GX4 ate the reloads like candy. However, the MC2sc ate the Winchester Forged steel-cased ammo without a hitch the first time out.

I took it home and cleaned it again. I'll have it out over the weekend again to test with different ammo. I'd hate it if something went wonky on it and I have to send it to Mossberg for a fix.
I took it to the outdoor range on saturday. Was able to confirm the red dot. It's on or at least within less than an inch at 25 ft. I took factory new PPU ammo and some lipstick reloads I made. It ate them all just fine.

I officially declare it good to carry.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,992 Posts
Would need a caliper to find out which is actually wider. The Mossberg magazine fits the same magazine holders that I've been using for my kel-tec (Smith & Wesson Model 59).
That's good to know if I go to buy any for the mossy. Thanks!

I took it to the outdoor range on saturday. Was able to confirm the red dot. It's on or at least within less than an inch at 25 ft. I took factory new PPU ammo and some lipstick reloads I made. It ate them all just fine.

I officially declare it good to carry.
Great to hear all the bumps in the road smoothed out. Break in is normal for most firearms - and you can usually tell when it is a hiccup or a problem MOST of the time. It's just a feel we all have lol.

So how did you like shooting through the red dot?

·
Administrator
28,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
The MC2SC has a Shield RSMC cut. The more you get into these things the more you will realize they need to standardize on these patterns lol.

Here is a great site for reference:

Anyway here are my thoughts on the optics (all these I have or have tried):

Holosun HS507K X2
View attachment 74722

The Holosun you selected is excellent. Beautiful glass and I love the circle dot - great for conceal and those close and personal encounters. I do like the fact that it has on and off along with shake awake and auto shut off. You are also paying for all those options, but well worth it. Can use standard iron sights as it sits nice and low for co-witness. Side tray battery compartment which is excellent for changing out batteries without re-zeroing the optic.

LIFETIME WARRANTY

$289.00 - expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Crimson Trace CTS-1550
View attachment 74721

The Crimson Trace is ALWAYS on which is good for CC but at the same time bad cause always using battery. I've used the same battery for 4 months now and it is still going. Still not bad but just a single 3moa dot I believe. It goes into sleep mode when the cover is put on it. Very durable optic though. Only issue I had with it was it did not fit the RMSC cut I had it intended for. It was a Glock 43 cut slide - it did not fit (see picture) that nub stopped it from fitting. Mossberg accounted for that since they show it with that optic (see pic). Bolt pattern fits RMSC fine. I have a slide with RMR and RMSC bolt patterns (GGS - Grey Ghost Precision) and I have that optic on that slide. Bottom load battery so you will have to re-zero when you change out batteries.

View attachment 74712

View attachment 74717

Can use standard iron sights as it sits nice and low for co-witness.

$116.00 - absolute steal.

LIFETIME WARRANTY

Also here are a few other contenders:

Salvo Optics – SRC – Micro Red Dot
View attachment 74723

I really like this one, Zaffari has them on sale from time to time, got mine for $125.00 and it is worth twice that. This one also has manual on and off along with shake awake and auto shut off. At $199 not on sale it is still a good optic for the money. Now Holosun still wins for a CC red dot because of the circle dot reticle, I really wish they would make this in a 6moa and it would be awesome. Can use standard iron sights as it sits nice and low for co-witness. Bottom load battery so you will have to re-zero when you change out batteries.

LIFETIME WARRANTY

$199.00 unless you find it on sale.

Sig Sauer Romeo Zero
View attachment 74724

It's a Sig, what else needs to be said. It comes with either 3moa or 6moa (get the 6) red dot. This one also is always on but is motion activated and auto shutoff. You can manually turn the red dot off but it is a pain to get to the button, its on the inside portion bottom of the lense. Bottom load battery so you will have to re-zero when you change out batteries but Sig boasts a 10 year battery life - we shall see!!! Sits a tad higher than the others so you may have to get mid-height suppressor sights if you want to co-witness. It is REALLY close but I chose to go with mid-height on one of my Glock 43's and just left the sights as is on my P365X. So instead of bottom 1/3rd it is closer to absolute co-witness on that Glock 43 - this could be because the cut on that particular slide was more shallow. I will have to measure but you would think Sig would take that into account on a CC optic.

LIFETIME WARRANTY

$170.00 range - great pricing.

Finally we have,

Swampfox Sentinel Micro Reflex Red Dot
View attachment 74725

Great optic, has all the same as most of the others, shake awake, auto shutoff, manual on/off but with a 3 moa dot. Can use standard iron sights as it sits nice and low for co-witness. Bottom load battery so you will have to re-zero when you change out batteries.

LIFETIME WARRANTY

$220 price range.

Here is my list of the "rest". Not that these are bad (well Bushnell is) but just not what I expected.

ADE Advance Optics - Spike
I actually still have one, while it is ok it is very similar to the Crimson Trace. Always on, auto brightness, no manual on/off, bottom battery load, crappy warranty - I believe 3 years. The price tag of $149 is a bit high for the optic as I can get a crimson trace for a portion of that cost. The dot itself is decent along with the glass. I will admit it is still working just fine on a G19 I have it on so take that for what it is worth.

3 year Warranty

$149.00

Bushnell RXS100
Run run away... say fits RMSC, ummm no... bolt pattern yes, cutout no. It is blocky and the dot is not even close to crisp. Also, sits super high so you would need full blown suppressor height sights even if it did fit.

Lifetime Warranty

$87.00 (price should tell you something...)

___

In closing, if I had to pick a top three it would be:
1. Holosun
2. SigZero
3. Swampfox

Best BARGAIN optic:
hands down
Crimson Trace

_

Ending thoughts:

Another thing to watch for on these optics are the mounting holes.

Some slide cuts will come with this:
View attachment 74716

Others with this:
View attachment 74718

So on most of the American cut slides they will be either 6-32 or 4-40 (lower pic) screw or a 4-40 only (upper pic) screw - lengths vary... nothing a bench grinder or dremel cant fix. FYI the Sig is Metric - comes with Metric Screws. IF you decide to go with that one understand you will need to buy screws for your optic - the ones that are used on the cover plate WILL NOT work with the optic, too short, unless you have the "tabs". I asked Sig customer service for the correct screws 2-3 times, they kept sending me metric... so save yourself the trouble and just buy em from monster bolts on eBay.

Reason I bring this up is not all optics are cut to receive the tabs that stick up. Most of the ones above are except the ADE that I know of.

As for the different cuts, bolt patterns, thread sizes... they really need to standardize on these... there are so many different types that even the firearm manufacturers have a hard time deciding which optics fit what. Red dots on pistols are fairly new and eventually they should have 1-2 different types when it is all said and done. Kinda like M-Lok and Keymod or VHS and Beta :p
whats beta? (just kidding)

41 - 51 of 51 Posts