Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they make pistols that make rifle ammo besides .22 LR ?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Kel-Tec makes one in 223 that isnt too horrid. Pistols have a much harder time with rifle ammo than the inverse. They really are just small rifles in the necked rounds.
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/plr16.htm

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Most of the AR manufacturers do make "pistol" versions of the AR-15 rifle in 223. And I use the term "pistol" in the most liberal sense - they're really just SBR's with the buttstock replaced with a recoil spring cylinder to meet ATF definitions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
AMT used to make the Automag III that fired the 30 carbine round. I fired one at the range one day and it was a lot of fun. A lot of muzzle blast but surprisingly light recoil.

Here is a good vid of one being shot.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
I can tell you that Thompson Center Arms is a quality piece. It is made in Rochester NH. [Yankee made] About 20 miles from my hometown and have first ahnd seen the manufacturing of these weapons. The folks take pride in their work there. Many a deer and other game have fallen to the mighty TC! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
There have been a huge number of single shot pistols made in almost all rifle calibers, mainly of the break open design like the TC or bolt action like the Remington XP100 that pretty much started the sport of long range handgun hunting. Bob Milek used to write a column for Guns and Ammo on just that subject, every month he would have some new custom blaster he was testing. Usually he was Death from Afar on Prairie Dogs but he also hunted larger game as well. These blasters normally sported a large magnification scope and a bipod.

Ruger makes/made a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine, real nice cartridge in a handgun with expanding bullets.

"Pistol" versions of semi auto rifles are pretty common, as Futuremodal says they are essentially an SBR minus the stock but classed as a pistol by ATF. I have seen pistol versions of the AK, AR15, FN-FAL, HK 90-series rifles, SIG, M1 Carbine (Enforcer), and numerous other "assault rifle" cutdowns. To be legal, they have to start out as a pistol build (no stock), you can't cut down an existing rifle as that would be an SBR.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
From what Ive heard the Kel-Tec PLR makes the most sense due to the magazine and the 223 being somewhat more reasonable for a pistol. Got me thinking about one now for that winter carry situation.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I had the original T/C Contender with 30-30, 223, 45/70, 357max and 44mag barrels. The new model is the G2 and it supports MANY other new higher pressure rifle rounds such as 308win.

Great gun but these days the barrels are very expensive and close to the cost of an entire firearm. Even used the barrels often cost $200+ depending on caliber and length.

30-30 hand loads were my favorite for energy with moderate recoil. Accuracy was better than most 30-30 rifles on a benchrest.

45/70 was a beast and sold the barrel after my first hand load session with milder (suggested) loads. 44mag worked out better for this purpose.

223 was deadly accurate, low recoil but loud as hell.

If you can find an original Contender they will accept the Contender Carbine barrels and stock but i think that might be illegal. ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kel-Tec makes one in 223 that isnt too horrid. Pistols have a much harder time with rifle ammo than the inverse. They really are just small rifles in the necked rounds.
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/plr16.htm
I'm really liking the PLR-16. The only thing I'm wondering is why they put the bolt action on the right side.

·
Premium Member
36,046 Posts
Habit? To make lefties happy? I got no clue.
Good question though...

·
Registered
116 Posts
My uncle has either a Contender or a savage, I forgot which... Anyway, he has a larger scope than I have on most of my rifles and regularly uses it to take care of deer and cayotes. Hehe :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 32 Posts