Plainfield Machine M1 Carbine,30cal

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by uncle jerky, Mar 1, 2008.

1. uncle jerky

uncle jerky Well-Known Member

Just got lucky on a Plainfield Machine M1 carbine on www.gunbroker.com
    see item #93 23 21 03. The one piece underfolder stock/pistiol grip was made by now defunct Federal Ordance. I understand that Plainfields are pretty fair guns, so I think it wll be fun to shoot and quite compact. Now, to find some local ammo.

2. Ari

Ari Guest

Congrats big time!

3. uncle jerky

Thank you,Ari. What would you recommend I do to the wood?

4. Uncle Jerky, you shouldn't do ANYTHING to the wood on that joker!!! WOW, what a piece of craftsmanship! Bookoo congrats on winning that thing!

5. Kagern

Kagern Guest

That is gorgeous! Why would you want to mess with it?

6. Someone please help me. I have no idea how to use that site and I can't find jerky's auction.

7. Congrats on a very nice gun.

Now why in the world would you even consider doing anything to the wood? Looks great as is. Just leave it alone.

8. Great find there man :) And +1 on leaving the wood as is :D

9. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Thats a nice rifle!

10. Ari

Ari Guest

11. You got a good one there.Please don't do anything to the wood.

12. Ari

Ari Guest

I keep going back and looking at this thing. What a handy gun! great size shooting straight, easy to reload! It is very cool

13. uncle jerky

Thanks for all your replies. I agree with the consesus about the wood.I originally thought about clear coating/polyurethaning the wood,but that would probably detract from the originality, intent and appearance of the design. Maybe some tung oil to enhance and protect the wood. I loaded up on 150 rounds of American Eagle 110 GR.Metal Case bullet ammo, so that's 10 mag fulls using the 15 round magazine that come with the gun. If Cabelas has some bulk Wolf, I can cut down the ammo cost considerably,but I don't want to risk damaging or stessing the extractor and firing pin with steel.

14. Cool little rifles!

Could of bought a Plainfield at Dunhams 4-5 yrs ago for $325 on sale...wish I would of bought it....

15. uncle jerky

I picked up 2 more items to compliment the M1 carbine:

see www.gunbroker.com

item#93 56 59 33 a WWII sterling silver carbine expert medal
    and

item# 93 40 38 32 an M1 carbine "recoil check",aka muzzle brake, that has an ingenious design and installation.

Both items from a local M1 carbine collector that will be a good source for parts.

16. Ari

Ari Guest

Something tells me you are going to have fun with this gun.

17. uncle jerky

I placed the sterling silver Carbine expert WWII medal in boiling water,added a teaspoon of table salt and baking soda,chemical reaction begins and what a transformation. The sterling medal looks new again.
    Martha Stewart,eat your heart out!!

18. uncle jerky

Sorry,Primal,but I don't have a camera. The Gunroker item# above has a close-up of the medal, but is showing years of collected patina.