Plans for new rear sight

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by littledog, Jan 16, 2015.

1. littledog

littledog Wiener of Mas Destruction Member

IOWA
    OK I am old school learning new things. I got 995ts to shot with my son the old levers don't cut it for him anymore not hip enough for him and his AR. I am very pleased with how it shoots no complaints. But the ghost ring rear sight does not let me get that fine accuracy at 100y. I called HI Point and have a complete rear sight coming. After measuring every rear sight on my rifles in the safe. It looks like the rear sight from a Remington 7600 will work. step 1 mill the 7600 sight flat 2 strip the hi point sight down to the bare frame 3 drill and tap frame for 7600 sight and install 4 install new frame and sight on 995 5 pray this works and there is enough adjustment in the front sight . The 7600 sight work well for me on the 30 06 with its fine notch and is easy to adjust. What do you guys think. Thanks Little dog

2. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

What problems, specifically, are you having with the rear sight? I know at least one person here drilled/reamed out the shot sight a bit to make it bigger and he said it helped a lot.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I had to do that on the folding 995. A drill bit and my fingers is all it took.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I say go for it. It's not a high priced gun anyhow.

But you may never get the fine accuracy you want out of a 9mm. The bullet shape and weight distribution make it inherently less stable than most rifle bullets. Indeed, this is true for many handgun bullets.

A 9mm FMJ is just never going to be a 30.06 boattail.

OTOH, with the right shooting platform, you might be able to get it "close enough for government work" at 100 yards. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What he said. You may do a lot of work, but get no results. If you gave a 5 grain load in a pistol case, a few specks of powder is a few percent. In a rifle with 45 grains of powder, it's less than one percent.

Meaning the pistol ammo will never, ever, be as consistent as rifle ammo, no matter how finely you aim.

Not that we are saying not to do it, some of us like to tinker.:)

If you are just having trouble seeing the target...like me:(....you can scope it.

Ammo is a HUGE issue...this was one mag, loaded 5 Wolf black box, and 5 commercial reloads. 25 yards standing unsupported with a Sightmark red dot.

You can see how one ammo was dead nuts on, the other not so much. Extend that to 100 yards...ugh.

[​IMG]

6. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Wanna know what's weird is I watched a guy with a Beretta 9mm handgun getting on the paper at 100yds. :eek: Did I mention he was standing?

7. littledog

IOWA
    All my firearms have either v notch or square notch on my revolvers . All set the same way very top of the tip in the bottom of v notch or square. I have filed the front to make it thinner. I know the mind centers the front post in ghost ring but with all of my years of shooting I keep trying to put the front post at the bottom of the ghost ring on snap shots I did take it to the range today and did better only 25 yards but could keep all ten in a 2x2 inch square free standing its just my super redhawk 44 will shot one hole the size of my thumb with 6 rounds. My 9 mm dies should be here Monday cant wait to see what I can do with reloads.

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'd love to see how this turns out...

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Couldn't you simply cut a square notch on the bottom of the ghost ring and fill the gap with your FSP so the tip of the post lines up with the bottom of the ring and sight in from there?

10. littledog

IOWA
    I wonder about filling in the ghost ring with a epoxy putty like JB weld and filing a v notch in it.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

I was wondering about Nitesiter decals that are round and then something on the front sight too.

With my 57yo eyes I seem to do OK with the factory sight.

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Just change the ghost ring sight with a notch sight from MOM she will send it free.

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Last I checked, carbines don't come with notched sights.

14. littledog

IOWA
    I checked with mom they did not have anything other than a ghost ring if you know of a v notch that will work please let me know Thanks little dog

15. moona11

Just get the notch sight for the 45 pistol. I believe they are the same size. You have to take the sight apart.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

Those are worse than the ghost ring! At least with my eyes. The red is hard to see. I put Strips from a Nitesiters kit on the back and the front blade sight on my .45. They work good.

17. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    The ghost ring is made of easy to cut plastic. Grab a razor blade and make one into a v-cut.

18. moona11

That's cause your old. :p
    How do you like the nitesiters?

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Your day is coming... :p
    You might be "just 43" but you have a sh!t-ton of miles on you already;)
    Time to take care of the vehicle is NOW. It can't Wait! M00NZY...

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It doesn't matter how well take care of your chassis, eventually the headlights are gonna go dim.

I had darn near super vision in my youth. No, seriously. I had way better than normal. 20-15 in the left eye and 20-10 in the right. My right-eye vision was, literally, twice as good as "normal." Then, in my late 30's, I started coming home from work with headaches and the writing was on the wall. A few months later, I had cheaters for reading and computer. Now I've got flame'n bi-focals!, lowers focused from 12-15" "reading" and the top (apparently) focused for about 4' to infinity. Yes, this leaves out "computer" (and front sight) distance, for which I'm still using my old spectacles. I'll have to order another set for "computer" range. :(

The moral of the story is, even super-vision gets old. I guess I'm just lucky I didn't have heat-vision and have to worry about the super-vision equivalent of bladder control as I age. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk