Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using the Hogue grips, but I wanted the no-slip feeling to extend to my thumbs as well, so I put spray on Plasti-Dip on the grip panels this evening. I'm going to put the Hogue grip back on top of that, but I wanted to let the Plasti-Dip set overnight before I do that. Even without the Hogue grip back on, the grip is a lot more positive.

The grips are off. Make sure you don't lose the magazine safety.

I taped up the springs so I wouldn't get Plasti-Dip on them.

Grips on a hangar, ready to spray.

I also taped up the magazine and put several coats of Plasti-Dip on the plastic base of the magazine.

Everything is sprayed. I put three coats on the grips, two light coats and the last one was a heavy coat.

Everything back on the pistol. It doesn't look any different, but it definitely feels different.

·
Si vis pacem para bellum
548 Posts
I like that idea. I'm going to paint my frame soon and I think I'll paint the grips with the plastic grip spray like you are doing. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Very cool idea, I think I will try that as well. ^-^
Thanks nobucks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments, but others suggested doing it before I did it. Thanks to them!

One thing to note is that if you're using the spray, you need to spray it all the way around the grip panel, rather than just to the edge. If you spray 360° around the grip panel, the Plasti-Dip wraps around the edge and is less likely to peel. That's where I would see that an actual dip may have the advantage.

Stretching the Hogue grip back on was a problem, and I tore one when I tried to put it back on. So, it was off to the store to buy another, which went on with no trouble.

Here it is, again, this time with the Hogue grip back on. Not much difference in the looks. I was glad to see that the molded Hi-Point logo and the "S" for the safety both showed through the Plasti-Dip.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Truth in advertising?

Having done the spray on Plasti-Dip as I outlined above, I'm going to back off of how well it works. When it cured, it worked well for a couple of days. After a few days, the edges started to peel up. Anywhere the coating becomes compromised, it starts to peel off.

I wish it was the coolest mod I've ever done, but that ain't the case. I've used the dip on my tools and I've never had a problem with my tool handles peeling. So, I'm going to recommend that if you're going to do Plasti-Dip on the grips, that you use the actual dip, not the spray.

Same goes for the coating on the magazine bases. After loading and reloading, the edges eventually tear. I'm going to do the actual dip on my mag bases and, since I have the Hogue grips, I'm just going to leave the grip panels with bare plastic (I peeled off all of the Plasti-Dip on the grip panels after they started to tear) and my Hogue grip.

I'll report back on the dip on my mag bases as they get some wear on them.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Be sure to wipe the polymer down with a good cleaner (naphtha is my favorite-I do security at a custom cabinent shop, and it's very abundant and FREE! LOL)... you may want to even scuff them up a little with a scouring pad... give it a little more to grab on to. be sure to clean off any material you removed with the scouring pad before attempting it again. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would agree, give it a light sanding or scuffing before you add any coating. The main problem seemed to be the edges, anywhere the Plasti-Dip wrapped around a sharp edge or corner.

·
Super Moderator
28,609 Posts
The idea still comes up occasionally, so I'm necro-threading this.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
For others who may wonder - the grips from MoM have a good feel and texture to them. Not sure what there made of, but it doesn't have the same feel as the factory grips. I got the pink camo grips, and there is a roughness to the texture that insures your grip won't slip, yet it is not so rough to be uncomfortable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts