Plastic guns

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by greg_r, Oct 1, 2017.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Honestly, I don't like plastic guns. I only have a few plastic handguns now. I like steel. Old school I guess. But guns are supposed to be steel.

I decided to carry my 1911 last week. Sure felt good having the heavy metal with me. Same with the GP100. I just like it. Part of my carry with those two are a pair of galluses though. Either that or hike your pants up through the day.

The plastic 38 or 380 though? You don't even know it's there. Carry is a breeze. Think I will carry my plastic 38 this week.

Dave4903 likes this.
  2. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

Plastic guns always seem to have an awkward balance and more muzzle flip than the caliber would indicate. Center mass is higher on plastic guns I guess.

3. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

It is, but that would move the cg up reducing the moment arm around the cg. Our grip must create an equal but opposite force to counter the torque. Getting the cg as close to the bore axis should reduce muzzle rise.

I'm just foggy brain storming there. The gun still torques around our grip pivot point. But I'm sure the cg location effects things. In this case maybe for the better.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

Plastic guns are why the "ridiculously high grip" that changes where and how the gun pivots, if it does at all, was invented. :p

Seriously, with the full sized plastic 9mm, and a good grip, there is really no muzzle flip to speak of. That's why they use them on speed shooting courses. For that matter, I can put a mag dump into a torso sized target at 7 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger on my plastic guns, regardless of caliber or size of gun. If you can't, you may need to man up a bit and grab the gun like you mean it.

The balance is only awkward if you are used to the old heavy guns, to those that start with plastic guns, the steel guns feel wrong.

Besides, if you load 18 rounds into a plastic gun, it's plenty heavy.:D

moona11 and duster066 like this.
  5. duster066

They are easier to get ergonomic to. The PPQ is the best grip I've ever held. That would be hard in metal although modern casting can do it much easier than before.

I like the plastic. We were being taught plastic was coming in the mid 70s. It seemed counter intuitive at that time, but I was being taught professionally so it was exciting. All of it has come true. The first time you inspect a Rutan Long E-Z will make a believer out of anyone. Plastic is great stuff, and it's what you will ride on at 36,000' from now on.

6. retread

retread Well-Known Member

wi.
    not really old school greg r, otherwise all those 1911's would be plastic. plastic no matter how good it is ,it's OK. apparently metal frame guns are still very popular with many. they are with me, here's my soon to be next 380. exellent construction, and reliabilty & alloy frame. exact same gun also sold by chiappa. 2-zengi14000380bk_1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  7. shubbell

shubbell Member

I like both.

moona11 likes this.
  8. duster066

I've found a man up grip does result in better groups with most guns. I got spoiled with the revolvers as I discovered a mild grip produced much better accuracy. But that was only in 38 and 357 probably 22. When I moved up to 44 that didn't work anymore. And with the autos, at least how I shoot, the tighter the grip, short of death grip, the better I shoot them. My whole idea of pistol has changed since I came here 7, 8 years ago. They are much more effective than my dad ever gave them credit. You just have to man up, load big, and don't miss.

"Remember. You can't miss fast enough to catch up." Army Ranger

eldarbeast, ajole and moona11 like this.
  9. rk97

rk97 Member

I am a pretty novice shooter, but I know I'm recoil-sensitive. The fact that my only handgun is a compact polymer 9mm probably doesn't help that.

I'd like a steel 9mm, but I'm cheap... It's been difficult to find anything in the same ballpark as a Glock 19/17, which have undeniable reliability at that price point. I could buy a used Beretta 92, but I just have something against Berettas that I can't adequately explain. For a company as old as they are, I feel like their designs should be either more proven, or more developed.

*edit - I started myself down a path of researching the Beretta 92 (again), and the Taurus PT92/99 that are made from the same tooling. It's possible I might like one - and for $300 or less in used condition, it's not an expensive gamble.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    eldarbeast and duster066 like this.
  10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The Remington R51 is all metal and mild recoil (review). Can be had for around $350 or less these days. Another option that some like is the Zastava M88A (review). It can be had for under $250 these days, ims. Said to be very comfortable to shoot.

Both are 9mm and single stack. Both can be concealed carry guns.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Dave4903 and moona11 like this.
  11. shubbell

shubbell Member

The biggest issue I have with steel frames are that they are hard to sneak through airport security ;)

eldarbeast and ajole like this.
  12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You need a Glock 7.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

eldarbeast and ajole like this.
  13. shubbell

shubbell Member

I carry my Glock 1 just for that reason....

eldarbeast, duster066 and lklawson like this.
  14. shubbell

shubbell Member

No porcelain. Completely plastic. Even the cases. It costs more than people make in 2 months!!!!

Unbeknownst to most people, if you pull out the plastic Slinky recoil spring, it becomes FA! If you remove the plastic trigger and leave in the Slinky, you just have to bump it to get the same effect.

15. shubbell

shubbell Member

In all reality, even on a poly gun, 80 some odd % of the weight is the metal. I like my steel frames just as much as the poly. I pretty much shoot them all the same way. The "death grip". Right or wrong, it works for me.

eldarbeast likes this.
  16. shubbell

shubbell Member

I suppose one also has to take into account the hows and why's. If you have not had a chance to go through an action shooting (not the cowboy type) type, live fire simulation, you should. It really shows your weaknesses and strengths. Shooting on the move is a whole different animal. But I know, preaching to the choir again.

Amen.

duster066 likes this.
  17. duster066

You might consider an import 357 revolver. They can be had used for 200 bucks. If they kept it around I did a decent tutorial on buying a used revolver. From 38 cowboy loads to full house 357 will allow you to walk up to increased recoil. It's not easy. I thought I was the cats meow because I was raised on 357. 44 Mag should be a piece of cake. It was not. It took several hundred rounds to train myself. But the training is perishable, it doesn't last. Until I figured one thing out.

It's a mental thing, all of it. The gun can not hurt you. If you can think that through solidly with each shot the flinch won't happen. But it does take real practice to prove to yourself the gun won't hurt you. So I suggest a $200 revolver. You can shoot it out in a thousand rounds of 357, but who cares. You get over recoil sensitivity and have fun doing it. Then just toss the ragged out pistol.

eldarbeast and lklawson like this.
  18. rk97

rk97 Member

I like revolvers, because I like simple and reliable, but I also like the 9mm Luger, because it's cheap. It's not easy to find inexpensive revolvers for non-rimmed cartridges.

I may be softening on the Beretta 92 Italian Police models that are online used for $299.

19. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

But you can find $400 rugers !

eldarbeast likes this.
  20. duster066

So true. And it's hard to shoot one of those out.

eldarbeast likes this.