Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
It's not actually a rifle, it's a carbine. A carbine is a intermediate length weapon designed for intermediate ranges (generally 150 yards or less). For close quarters, rifle caliber bullets overpenetrate and can cause a lot of collateral damage (going through walls and whatnot). Also, the recoil is a lot higher with a rifle caliber bullet. Take the MP5 for instance, most SWAT teams and whatnot use these because of the low recoil and the good stopping power of the 9mm. Also fully loaded magazines weigh less with pistol bullets (doesn't matter in the HP really because of the 10rnd capacity, but you asked about them in general).

IMO the perfect weapon for HD would be a semi-automatic .45ACP carbine. Highly accurate, higher bullet FPS with the longer barrel, lots of stopping power, and not as much penetration through to your neighbor's house.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
For HD, why not a semi-automatic, .45ACP pistol? More maneuverable at close quarters, and at the ranges in a house, the carbine's extra accuracy won't matter. If I'm going for rifle-length, I'll just get a semi-automatic shotgun and put buckshot or something in it.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
You also have the "Ammo Compatibility" concept. Always a good thing IMO.
Even a 9mm carbine can serve a dual purpose for hunting small game as well as home defense.
Most anyone is going to realize that a rifle/carbine is more accurate & is going to cause them more harm than a pistol & the BG isn't going to be looking at what caliber that is. He/she just knows that they have a rifle pointed at them.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
...I am not knocking it, just honestly do not get the concept.
That's really the whole explanation right there. Some people figure: "If I'm going to carry a rifle, I want a rifle cartridge."

These little rifles are for people that like the idea of a small, handy, light rifle firing a low recoil, inexpensive cartridge. I've always had a fascination for light rifles chambered in handgun cartridges, the Hp 995 and 4095 are the best deal in such rifles around.

If you look at the history of cartridge rifles, having the ability to share ammunition with your handgun and your rifle is a popular idea.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Because sometimes my 444 or 308 is just a tad big and my 22 just a mite to small. 995 is just right in those instances. I'd like 4595 better but not available yet and I haven't got quite enough saved for the Thompson.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Carbines are great for accurately putting a lot of lead down range quickly. I would love to have a 45acp carbine. I have always kicked myself for not picking up a Marlin 20 years ago. I'd definitely pick up a 45 HiPoint if they made them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
1. Put a carbine in the hands of a novice shooter and they are going to have greater success than with a pistol.

2. Ammo cost, and compatibility. It is cheaper to feed than my other rifles, and I already have to buy 9mm for my Star BM anyway.

3. 9mm carbines can be shot at any pistol range. This is a big factor in some places, as getting to a good rifle range is problematic for some, depending on where they live.

4. They are fun.

5. Some folks prefer a light and handy carbine for defense. It isn't an outlandish idea. The ease of use, and total lack of recoil make it an attractive option. 9mm carbines are capable of rapid and very accurate fire at self defense range, and now I must refer back to number one. The rapid and accurate part remains true for the inexperienced.

·
Registered
602 Posts
i have a 30/30 and a 308. Why would anyone want a pistol ammo shooting rifle?
I am not knocking it, just honestly do not get the concept.
I'm buying pistol caliber rifles for "convoy defense" and unified ammo packing. When I have to move my family from our current town to the resettlement area and there is badness afoot, I want a rifle my wife and young sons can reliably fire for short distance accurate defense.

I also don't want to have to carry or store alot of different ammo. So I have pistols and rifles in 9mm. Pistols and rifles in .40.
Shotguns in .12 and .410, and long rifle in 7.62x54r and the 22lr for the boys rifles and pistols.
So I carry 6 ammo calibers to supply 12 different guns. When you have to move as little as possible, but what you move is most important shared calibers are a big deal.

But I'm a freaky liberal! I'll probably just end up giving all my ammo away to the zombies.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i'm new to all of this so i won't pretend to be an expert but, when i was reading a product description on the kel-tec website, they said that one of the benefits of a carbine (as opposed to a pistol) is that it "requires less training"

i don't own any pistol caliber carbines, but i can certainly imagine that it would be easier to make hits with any long gun than it is with any pistol

i can barely hit the blind side of a barn with my c-9 yet, but i know that's my fault and not the gun's

·
Registered
69 Posts
Roger that. If my wife is shooting a handgun at you, your best bet is to stand perfectly still and wait for her to run out. If she is shooting the 995 at you, you best run like the dickens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For those of us without a complete SHTF arsenal, it allows us to have a clse range and midrange weapon with compatible ammo i.e. 995 and Ruger P93dc. Plus only carrying 2 weapons in a bugout senario can only help with ease of movement.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
As far as ammunition goes, I always figured I'd only need a handful of rounds (relatively) for my pistol... Isn't your rifle your primary defense? I always saw the pistol as an indoors weapon, or a last-ditch weapon if your rifle somehow fails you (jams, out of ammo, etc.) In a SHTF scenario, I always figured easily 80-90% of shots fired would be from my rifle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For HD, why not a semi-automatic, .45ACP pistol? More maneuverable at close quarters, and at the ranges in a house, the carbine's extra accuracy won't matter. If I'm going for rifle-length, I'll just get a semi-automatic shotgun and put buckshot or something in it.
In a stressful moment, such as a BG in my house, threatening my family, with adrenaline coursing through my veins, I'll take all the extra stability I can get, and a rifle butstock provides that. Less chance of hitting something I don't intend (bullets NEVER miss)

TCA

·
Registered
128 Posts
the word "carbine" is a bit confusing (speaking as a newbie)

for example, why do they call the shorter barreled ruger 10/22's "carbines?" it fires a rifle round, not a pistol round. same goes for the m4

i'm still trying to figure out what exactly the difference is between a "carbine" and an SBR

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you really need a reason to own another firearm... :devilsidesmile: There are plenty of good reasons already listed. I have a farely well rounded collection myself. So I don't have a specific task for a carbine, but it is a good firearm, at a good price, and it is a really joy to shoot. I know it will not sit in the gun rack getting dusty. That is enough reason for me.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.