**Please help!!! Hope I'm not in trouble**

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by kunlao21, Dec 27, 2007.

1. kunlao21

kunlao21 Guest

OK all, I'm a non-FFL who received a faxed FFL from out of state for an Ohio buyer over there. After 7 communications in person or via phone with Fedex reps, all were contradicting eachother. I boxed the empty shotgun enclosed with my DL copy to the Ohio FFL and went to Fedex. Surprisingly :wink: , he was also not sure, nor his manager, nor the other employees if it was OK. After another corporate call, they said OK and off it went, after asking again if there's anything else I need to send/receive.

Basically, I followed this exact same method of shipping because this was my experience as the recipient when I bought it a year ago.

- The out of state Seller required that my FFL fax his document.
    - My FFL required the Non-FFL-out-of-state seller to enclose a DL copy.
    - I got the package at my FFL a few nail-biting days later.
    - All was fine, my FFL took the DL paper(the only paper in the box) and completed paperwork
    - I left after asking if he needed anything other than the DL copy(ie ss card, voter regstrn or mothers maiden name)
    - "No sir you're good to go, I have his ID info and he has ours, be safe!"

But today, I've been told that I should have in fact enclosed the FFL fax with the DL copy to the FFL who'll have my shotgun in a few days! By sending my DL w/out their FFL fax, "I am in some 'Federal Issues' if this goes anywhere."

BTW...It was my local postal carrier guy who told me all of this. Why believe him over Fedex and past experience? Dunno, but scares the crap out of me!

Help!

2. Ari

Ari Guest

Can't you just get a copy of the FFL and send it to him?

3. kunlao21

kunlao21 Guest

I have the copy he sent me. So should I have enclosed that same copy and DL copy with the outgoing shotty?

Do I just call him and say I forgot and will fax ASAP?

4. As far as I know you don't need an FFL copy to ship to one to an FFL, especially a long gun. Most of them will want one to verify who they ship too, though a dealer can be verified with their FFL number only online too. Some only accept guns from other FFLs, but its not the law. I wouldn't worry about it, the FFL copy they send you is for your records to show you sent it to a FFL holder and not to any of us mere mortals. :)

5. kunlao21

kunlao21 Guest

"Thanks" Friendly neighborhood USPS guy for letting me crap my pants! Oh..you 2 Onepoint! Cool kitty!

6. pills

pills Guest

If you shipped to the ffl you should be ok.

7. kunlao21

kunlao21 Guest

Pills and onepoint, thanks a bunch..you've confirmed my hopes and now I just need to get my pants from the dryer! :roll:

8. pills

pills Guest

I have shipped several long guns via USPS. I am not a FFL. When I go in I
    1. Open the box to show it is not loaded.
    2. Show them the copy of the FFL and that the address I am sending it to match the address on the FFL
    3. Put the copy of the FFL in the box
    4. Use their tape to seal the box.
    5. Pay for shipping and insurance and walk out.

9. Ari

Ari Guest

Wow.. I was working for a FFL last summer (Part time) I took the boxes to be shipped to the UPS store I confirmed to them it was going FFL to FLL and they freaked out but took the packages.

10. kunlao21

kunlao21 Guest

I've received from an FFL plenty o times but never sent. Strange... I didn't even think to bring the fax to Fedex for them..Well? They accepted it and it's off. But I wouldn't have minded showing more proof!