Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Please help!

3K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  nitrous_bob 
#1 ·
Went to the range Saturday with my .45
Bought tulammo and nothing but problems with it. First mag only 2 fired and the rest failed to fire and eject. Went to Walmart and bought federal ammo came back to the range and had 1-2 fail to fire out if every magazine I loaded (100 rounds). I think the crap tulammo messed up my gun. I did not read the box when I bought and never would have bought if I had known it was steel cased ammo. What junk ammo.. the feed clips are tweaked on both mags and feed ramp is polished. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I have not taken it apart yet to inspect for issues. The firing pin appears to be OK. Would appreciate any comments or help anyone can give me. Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Hi!

I'm a newcomer here myself. In fact, I just picked up my C9 this past Saturday and haven't had a chance to take it out to the range yet.

When I picked up the gun, I asked the dealer to review the functions and features and I also had a list of questions. One included the types of ammo. FWIW......he told me aluminum or brass but not steel.

I also inquired about reloads and a break-in period. He indicated to use new ammo for the break-in period of about 100 rounds or so. Then after that, reloads would be fine. Again, brass or aluminum cases.

Take that for what it's worth since I don't have any actual experience with either the gun or ammo at this point. Just found it interesting that I asked that specific question with Tulammo in mind. It's substantially cheaper than Remington at Walmart.

#5 ·
My .45 fires Tula no problem.
It's actually my favorite (cheapest) range ammo.

#8 ·
I think the crap tulammo messed up my gun. I did not read the box when I bought and never would have bought if I had known it was steel cased ammo. What junk ammo..
what makes you think its crap ?
so it didnt cycle....., then you got "good" ammo and it didnt cycle

is that crap ammo too ?

tula/wolf CANNOT break your gun. how well do you oil it ? and how often ? hipoints like to be wet, at least all of mine do

what exactly do you think is wrong with steel cased ammo ?

AK's dont break...they pretty much have been using steel cased ammo since 1944

i think your problem lies in the owner (lack of maintenance)...or the gun(some mechanical issue)......but NOT the ammo

#9 ·
Still haven't taken it apart to look at it in detail.
hmmmmm....i kinda rest my case

not being a d!(k

im just saying. and to the other posts , they make no sense whatsoever.

1) how does a misfeed bend a firing pin ? it is physically impossible and has nothing to do with the feeding of a round

2) how does the casing affect the break in of a weapon ? in fact..... if you wanted to split hairs...steel casing would break it in better since its harder than aluminum or brass and will fully operate the extractor rather than partially ( and im talking thousands of an inch if not millionths)

#10 ·
Bob, the Hi-Point ejection system uses a longer than average firing pin to assist in the ejection of the spent cartridge. Sometimes, if a casing fails to properly eject, it can bend the pin. Happened to friend two Saturdays ago. He called MOM and got a new one and been fine since. I don't use Tulammo anymore, due to its not-always-standard method of manufacture. I've had rounds jam going in (case warped), squib, fail to fire and due to the amount of grunge they leave in the firearm. When the warped case round went in, it gouged the chamber (in my old Taurus Beretta 92 copy) and I had to have it honed so it would properly feed again. I've never used Wolf, so I have no insight there.

#11 ·
The brass case ammo didn't fail to cycle. If you read my thread it failed to fire. It cycled just fine, just failed to fire more than a few times after using the CRAP ammo. And yes it is crap. After talking with some other people they all say to stay away from it. Really didn't post a thread for help to be harassed so if you're not going to try to help then no need to reply.

#13 ·
so someone told you it sucks...so it must suck ?

personally if i owned a gun that didnt eat everything i fed it...it would get sold or id use it for a paperweight

yes i read your post

a complete "cycle" would be.....

shooting, extracting, loading

if it stops somewhere in between.....its not cycling.

as far as the longer firing pin...i guess you learn something new everyday

as far as steel casing...im still waiting to hear why its so bad. ive been shooting steel cased ammo in probably every gun i own since russian surplus started showing up in bulk, or when i bought my first SKS

as far as the wolf....wolf=tula , tula=wolf , its the same factory

as far as the russian ammo being dirty ??? the dirtiest ammo ive ever shot was winchester white box. it even burns my eyes when im shooting it

and im not harrassing you...im just making a point

you didnt believe what people say about hi points and u bought one anyways....but yet your quick to dismiss russian ammo ? i dont get it

you need to educate yourself on it and fix whats wrong, then you can shoot for less

my post WAS an attempt to help you.

the ammo DIDNT break your gun, plain and simple. and i bet if you called hipoint they would NEVER tell you not to shoot it. not if they stand by their product anyways. thats the quickest way to bankruptcy

#15 ·
No, but somebody wants instant satisfaction without even checking his gun.
Most of this drama is usually operator error anyway.

#17 ·
Instant satisfaction? I've ran 600 rounds without a problem until I used this ammo. Again....if no one has anything useful to say.....no need to reply. You guys are a real turn off for this site. Its a shame people can't post here without feeling harassed. All because you want to defend some 15$ ammo that obviously a lot of people have issues with. You are quick to say operator error just to stick up for junk ammo. Unreal. It's a shame. Used to be a nice site.

#18 ·
Look rye, any chance that this could simply be a coincidence? A gun which is out of specs, fires fine for, let's say 600 rounds, till it gets an internal breakage and fails to fire with what happens to be Tula.
Tula is used by many shooters here, it's going to take a lot more to convince me it's the ammo.
Send your gun in and it will be fixed.
Problem solved, everybody friends again. Deal?

#19 ·
Yes there is a chance its coincidence Swaga. It just so happens that it put a bad taste in my mouth for tulammo. I'm sure other people use it and works fine and that's awesome but I won't use it again weather it was the ammo or not. Its in my head now. I wish it wasn't because the price was nice. All I wanted was some other peoples opinions as to why this could be happening not an argument on ammo. All I know is that something is wrong and was looking for some guidance. I will have some time to take my gun apart tonight to inspect better. Will update you guys with what I find.

#21 ·
I have had several of the same issues Ryry618 it ended up being my fire pin and springs. My first pin was bent so little I did not even notice it. Call MOM and they will send you everything you need to fix her. As Bob stated the JHP really likes to be wet oil the heck out of her. I blamed all kinds of ammo and it was my fire pin. I hope that is the same with yours.

#23 ·
Bob, dude, calm down. There is no need to get so hostile about some junky ammo. You like it, lovely. Others have issues, lovely. Getting irritated isn't the correct response.
i didnt think i said anything hostile at all

and i wasnt irritated either

personally....the less people shooting tula , means more in the case at wally world when i go to buy it

i said at least once that i wasnt trying to be a d!(k

because i wasnt, my comments were to help him.

i was simply trying to inform the OP that the ammo didnt break the gun and he needed to look elsewhere

if your hot water tank wasnt working anymore and you blamed the water for it i would want to tell you that you need to look for a problem instead

thats all ;)

#24 ·
Well Bob you wanted to know what makes the ammo bad so I'm gonna tell you why it's bad IMO based on my exprience with it.

The laquer coating is what causes the problem so it's technically not the ammo it's the coating on the ammo. In my experience with this and all other steel case laquer coated ammo is that the laquer gets hot and starts to melt inside the gun as it's being fired and that cause everything to start gumming up. Once it starts to get good and gummed up all your burnt powder residue starts sticking and now your gun is full of crap which prevents smooth operation of all the parts. This has just been my experience with it it all guns not just Hi Points but as always YMMV. This could also have something to do with how the gun is lubricated, oiled etc.... since everyone does it differently. I have heard about 50/50 opinions when it comes to the steel case ammo so it could be that the ammo is not held to very high tolerances when it is made giving lots of different specs on the cases themselves or other factors such as I already mentioned before could be the factors. Either way I have not have good luck with it so I don't like. You have and you like so there ya have it. The other thing is that locally I can buy Federal brass ammo that's reloadable for the same price as Tula so it's a no brainer for me even if the Tula worked good for me.

#25 ·
Well Bob you wanted to know what makes the ammo bad so I'm gonna tell you why it's bad IMO based on my exprience with it.

The laquer coating is what causes the problem so it's technically not the ammo it's the coating on the ammo. In my experience with this and all other steel case laquer coated ammo is that the laquer gets hot and starts to melt inside the gun as it's being fired and that cause everything to start gumming up. Once it starts to get good and gummed up all your burnt powder residue starts sticking and now your gun is full of crap which prevents smooth operation of all the parts. This has just been my experience with it it all guns not just Hi Points but as always YMMV. The other thing is that locally I can buy Federal brass ammo that's reloadable for the same price as Tula so it's a no brainer for me even if the Tula worked good for me.
i dont shoot full auto, so ive never gotten a gun hot enuff to melt the laquer
not in civilian life anyways

and since about 5 years ago, the russian surplus switched to polymer coating over lacquer cuz of AR15's being so tight, and some AR guys with .223 chamber trying to shoot 5.56mm and then they blow up

but thats a different story, but they are all polymer now...and like i said i dont shoot full auto so heat isnt an issue

and like i said b4..... its better peeps dont shoot TULA, more for me

and like i said again...b4..... if you have gun thats picky ? throw it away

thats just me tho, i dont need a tool thats unreliable

#26 · (Edited)
I wont use tula or wolf in any weapon that isn't comm-blok designed. Same reason I don't use brass ammo in an sks or AK. The comm blok weapons are DESIGNED to fire steel cased ammo. They are made to take that abuse. When u put that type of ammo in a weapon designed for softer metal, something has got to give. In AK's I've never seen any one use a broken shell extractor UNLESS they were firing Brass, not steel ammo. On the other hand, I would NEVER use steel case in my beautiful black rifle... The horror!! Use the proper ammo, not the cheapest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.