Pocket knife suggestions

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by TylerSpilker, Jun 3, 2008.

1. TylerSpilker

TylerSpilker Member

I like the idea of always having a pocket knife with me, and for the most part, I have ever since I was a little kid. I have been wanting to buy myself a nice folding pocket knife for everyday carrying (opening boxes, letters, cutting stray strings, little jobs). I have been carrying a smith and wesson tonto blade that I got at big-5 for a verteran's day sale, it was $10 and I couldn't pass it up.

I was wondering what your guy's suggestions for an every day knife. It has to be big enough to hold in my large hands, under a 4 1/2" blade (for university weapons policies), and be thin enough with a clip to attach on the inside of my back pocket, and not rust because of being inside a pocket all day.

I want to spend no more than $50 or so, unless you can talk me into it!

What are your favorites in edge holding, and stuff like that.

Thanks

2. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I'd love to get me another Case XX folder... mine disappeared during a move. :( I miss it daily.

3. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I'm drooling over this $46.95 knife.
    [​IMG]

4. TylerSpilker

TylerSpilker Member

That company was featured on How it's Made I think.

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I've had good luck with "Old Timers" which is a economy line of Schrade... the "Uncle Henry" knives were awesome and heavy... with a locking blade. I usually steer clear of expensive stuff, but I will make an exception for Case's XX Knives. ;)

6. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

I carry a half-serrated Gerber Paraframe II in the lab (I also work at a university) and love it. It's light, strong and holds an edge beautifully. I think it was about $30 at REI.

cheers,
    Kyu

7. mill419

mill419 Member

I carry an old-school Victorinox Swiss Army knife. No clip, but I feel naked if I reach into my front right pocket and it isn't there.

8. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I just get a cheapo springblade at the local flea market around $5. Then if I lose it or it breaks I haven't wasted too much money. I don't buy name brands as I have seen such "name" brands break or get stolen cause they are a "name" brand.

9. unscarred

unscarred Member

Kershaw chive. small, spring loaded, very handy.

10. Outstanding knife! Got one myself! It's so light, and yet tough as nails...

11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Got this Smith & Wesson 24/7 from Benny at a discount. Love it!!!

12. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    +1 That's what I carry. Got it at wallyworld for less than $25.

13. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I'm sorry, I suggested a true "pocket knife"... you want a work knife... sorry.

14. I carry a S&W 'ExtremeOps' clipped to my front pocket. I got it at AutoZone pretty cheap. $9.95 + tax. So far no problems with it.

15. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

I have always liked Gerber for what you are describing. I have the Gerber Paraframe and love it.

[​IMG]
    http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=505

I have used it for box opening, cutting co-ax when I forgot my box knife, wood working, accidentally stabbed myself once in the arm....clean cut, small scar....just about everything. I love the knife.

16. +1 on the elcheapo flea mkt knives for everyday jobs, but if you're looking for something quality I concur with my colleagues that Case is a good brand. Old timer and Schrade are also fine knives.

17. elguapo

elguapo Guest

18. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

19. My everday knife is the Camillus Heat. It's a very strong knife. there isn't anything I haven't put it through the past 5yrs. You can get them on ebay for around the $30 mark. It has a one hand opening and is spring loaded. If you get it, you will love it. I promise!

[​IMG]

20. AGuyNamedMike

AGuyNamedMike Lifetime Supporter

Me too. I've noticed it's a bit loose lately, and adjusting the tension screw only helps a little. I may have to contact Gerber for new bushings.