POI changes?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by engineer40, Sep 8, 2015.

1. engineer40

engineer40 Member

When I first got my 4095 the Point of Impact would change often. I realized it about the 4th time I took it out and had to sight it in yet again.

I made sure everything appeared tight. Got it sighted back in. But the next time I shot it, the POI was off again (using same ammo).

Those rear sights looked a little shady. When I would adjust them they would cant back and forth. So I ordered a very small and lightweight scope and put that on. I originally had no intention of putting a scope on the carbine because I did like the iron sights.

The scope didn't help either. The POI still shifts. I tried to wiggle the top rail and it did appear solid. I mean it would flex if I put a lot of pressure on it. But that was much more force than the gun would ever be subjected to. I'm really easy on all of my firearms and treat them with care.

I see some metal top rails for sale online. After reading through my experience above, what are the chances a metal top rail would fix my issue? I'm getting frustrated because I have spent more in ammo just sighting this thing in than what I actually paid for the gun. This could be a very fun little carbine that finds a special place in my heart if the darn thing will stay sighted in!

(I am not new to firearms. I have an entire safe full and have been shooting for decades).

Have any of you guys experienced this same thing? How did you fix it? Thanks! I sincerely appreciate everyone's opinions on this.

2. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

May not be related to your problem, but I tightened all the stock bolts. We bought 2 carbines and only one varied in the POI a small bit. Rails were tight. But the stock bolts were not. Fixed the problem. The two rear bolts on mine were not even what I call snug from the factory.

3. engineer40

engineer40 Member

That may very well be related to my problem. I was shooting Sunday and I notice "Oh, someone lost a bolt. It's sitting right here on the bench."

"Crap! I lost a bolt!"

It came out of my stock. And there was also another bolt that was about to fall out. I tightened everything up. Now I'm wondering if that was my problem...

4. ndindy

ndindy Member

How much of a change are you talking? Minor, no biggie. Major, has to be a mechanical problem. Well, really most POI/POA problems are shooter problems. But lets gloss over that part. If there are no loose parts, there should be no poi changes.

5. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I had concentrated on the rails etc. being tight. I just did not suspect the stock.
    Didn't even think tightening them up would make a difference on this carbine. But, it did.

But from decades of experience I have learned loose stock hardware can make a big difference.
    Particularly with my long range target rifles. :)

6. engineer40

engineer40 Member

I'm remembering 3ft differences in some cases.

And I agree that most of the time POI shifts are user error. I shoot a lot of rifle. Much more than pistol or shotgun; or I would be questioning myself for the POI shifts also.

Thanks!

7. engineer40

engineer40 Member

I'm going to recheck the screws next couple times I take it out. If my POI doesn't shift and the screws stay tight, I'm golden. If they come loose again, they'll be getting some purple loctite!

Thanks!

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I can strongly recommend Longshot Mfg. rails, I have a set for a different carbine,
    but am planning on getting them for my HPs as well! :dance:

Attached Files:

9. ndindy

ndindy Member

3 feet? At what range? At typical carbine/pistol ranges, that's not loose parts. That's having a seizure :laugh: