Point of Black Teflon on Knifes?

Discussion in 'Knife and Blade Forum' started by z71silverado98, Jan 11, 2008.

1. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

What the hell is the purpose of Black Teflon on a knife? as soon as you use the knife for any kind of real work the teflon scrapes off , unless your only using the knife to cut items in the kitchen. And as far as i know there is no way to restore the teflon or even the look of it at home. not that i place form over function, but wouldnt the knifes just be better off w/out the coating?

My gerber AR 3.0 for example, the only time the teflon looked good was the day i bought it. I know gerber makes a non teflon, but my store didnt have it and they were much cheaper than ordering online.

2. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Longer life and less drag, sure it will come off with abuse, but it should stay longer than a day! Perhaps you have a cheap teflon coated knife or a nice knife with a cheap coating?

3. Langford

Langford Guest

I have a little gerber pocket knife that had a black coating on it, not sure if it was teflon or powder coat....but it scratched right away. So I ended up scraping all of it off. I dont see any point in it if it wont hold up to normal abuse. A buddy of mine has a $100+ benchmade knife that did the exact same thing, I wasnt too upset about my gerber because it was under $30.....but I would be a little upset about the benchmade.

4. neothespian

neothespian Member

I too have a Gerber fixed blade knife ($20 at Wally World, but damn if they're not a great knife for the money!) and it's a wonderful knife except for the stupid Teflon coating. Mine hasn't chipped too bad, but I agree that it seems like a senseless addition that doesn't need to be there.

Of course, this little irritation won't keep me from remaining a Gerber man. I have that knife plus a Gerber Suspension multi-tool, and they're always key to whatever toolkit I have.

5. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

If they're good enough for babies they're good enough for me.
    [​IMG]

6. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

if the knife is titanium isn't the teflon made to keep the metal from becoming tarnished? I thought titanium was ruined really easily

7. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Here IS the real reason.....So the blade will slip out after the stab and NOT stick used on all combat type knives and tomahawks :wink:

8. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

did you miss:

:lol: Drag, resistance, "stick", whatever.

9. neothespian

neothespian Member

:roll:

Not doubting ya shooterz..... just seems like one of those things that the manufacturers think that is SOOO cool, and it just seems silly. The last thing I'm thinking of when I paid for my knife was "Gee, I hate it when I get that sucking sound when I shank a guy".

Geez.

10. SHOOTER Z

Sorry I didn't catch that and also i guess I'll go crawl in my hole as no one has a sense of humer lately BYE

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

Dude...wasn't meant as a jab at you at ALL man. Was mocking the Tacti-Cool aspect of alot of knife manufactuers.

Wasn't aimed at anything you said. Sorry if it was taken wrong. Seriously.

12. I've got like three gerber knives... love 'em for the money anyway...
    so far, so good...
    I do have a smith and wesson knife with the black blade and I hate using for the very reason menioned in this topic.

[​IMG]

13. SHOOTER Z

My bad Neo I must have gotten ouit of the wrong side of the bed today no problem