Point shooting class

Discussion in 'Training' started by kwiley5, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Has anybody on this forum taken a threat focused or point shooting class?
    My son and I took a class yesterday and found it quit fun. This was not a Rob Pincus class; it was a local instructor. The idea, which I'm sure you are aware, is to point the gun at the target and rely in your natural ability to aim your hand at a fixed point. We had five people in the class with varied levels of experience, including a woman who had never fired her pistol one handed.
    My son and I did very well, though he did miss the kill zone a couple of times while moving. We did 4 scenarios moving to cover while shooting, then reengaging from cover.
    I don't agree with the idea of shooting without using the sights, but the experience did reveal how combat accurate a shooter can be in a stressful or low light environment. I made a point not to use my sights during the class and found I could hit the vital organs from 10 yards while moving very consistently. I encourage anyone who has not taken a class like this to try it. You will have a good time and be surprised at the results.

2. I will be taking one this coming Saturday. I am looking forward to it.

3. Let me know what you think of it. I thought the idea was good, but be careful not to loose sight of the fundamentals.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Point Shooting is a classic of WWII era military handgun training and of the subsequent CQC philosophy in the Fairbairn/Applegate &c lineage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeSpwAA_0DU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQGWlVM4BiY

There's a lot to be said for it and, ims, studies have shown that even when trained in various "front sight" and "flash sight" methods, people frequently fail to use their sights in a high stress encounter.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  5. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

point shoot

Buckeye Dave
    Where are you taking this
    I see you live in the Cleveland area
    I would like to do this also
    Frank

6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I am a firm believer in the point shooting training and use. In a shooting incident you will most likely not have the luxury of using your sights. Being able to point shoot will be the difference between life and death for you.

7. I agree, most people who get into a shooting situation do not use their sights for various reasons; chief among them is lack of real-world training. Both static and dynamic drills need to be reinforced through repetition. But even with that type of training, most people will resort back to point shooting. I think it is a valuable part of everyone's handgun training.

8. FlashBang

You say people don't use their sights in a shooting situation due to "lack of real world training"?? :confused:

I would say you have it backwards, people use and rely on their sights due to a lack of real world training. ;)

Attached Files:

• rex.jpg
      rex.jpg
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
  9. RazorsKiss6

RazorsKiss6 Member

How should my c9 be set up?
    Having trouble with my sights

Attached Files:

10. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Many of the newer ccw hand guns have combat sights, which requires a point and shoot approach. Everyone who carries should be at least familiar with point and shoot.
    Above thread. The front sight should completely cover the bull.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It doesn't matter. As long as you know what they are and train appropriately. You should probably use th same on all of your SD handguns.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

12. FlashBang

I personally train and practice in two primary point shooting scenario's:

1. At a distance of 15 yards, with the weapon holstered, draw fast and raise my arm to the extended shooting position without using the sights and fire 3 rounds. I use 3 rounds instead of just 2 in order to train to recover after recoil and get back on target quicker.

2. At a distance of 7 feet, with the weapon holstered, draw fast and fire from the hip, again using 3 rounds.

Here are my practice targets from this past Saturday. Target on the left is the 15 yard target, and the right target is the 7 foot target. All shooting was done single handed using a Ruger SR1911-CMD 45ACP with 230gr CPRN loaded over Red Dot and holstered in a level 2 retention high ride OWB holster in C-1 and timed to allow 3 rounds in a maximum of 5 seconds. The 5 seconds easily gives you more then enough time to get 3 rounds out and on target without rushing it too fast and raising the possibility of an accident.

Attached Files:

13. I shoot a handgun the same way I shoot a shotgun, it is the way the Navy was designed with just a brass post. Bringing the post into the line of sight is natural, skeet shooters do not shoot with blade and notch sights.

Speed is nice but only those rounds that connect will win a gunfight. Since the day of accuracy training, the accuracy of trained combat shooters in real gunfights has become appalling.

I look at it this way, inside the 7 yard circle, point shooting. In the 10 yard circle, shotgun point shooting. Outside that run, or seek cover. After that I will use a good sight picture while the threat wastes ammo point shooting.

14. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

I find certain hand guns are more conducive to point shooting than others. For me the Walther PPK/s, and Glock 26/27's works well in this regard. The angle of the grip on the subcompact Glocks seems allow my finger, when held straight along side the frame/slide, to be at the correct angle for point shooting. Having a Crimson Trace laser sight mounted on a pistol helps to train for point shooting. Holding the hand gun and pointing the finger with the laser sight turned off, then after being on target, squeeze the grip to allow the laser sight to turn on to compare how well you did.