polish up the ramp!

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by down_range_dan, Jan 26, 2016.

1. so ive read that some hi points can be a pain in the a$$ until they are broken in. I have a CF380 ive put about 450-500 rounds through. the first 150 rounds where fine, no FTF or FTE or any issues. but now as I put more rounds through it I'm getting more issues with FTF's. ive tweaked out the mags so the spring moves without binding up and I messed with clips at the top as well. the mags work great in my friends CF380. im wondering if polishing the feed ramp would help? there does seem to be some scratching going on. or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :cool: ive tried several different brands of ammo, Winchester white box with flat nose, ppu ammunition, perfecta, tulammo metal case, Remington metal case. all with same results.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    If the first 150 went through fine why when it screws up you automatically start [email protected] with the mags that were working perfectly and work fine in another firearm? Going on that you gave exactly zero information to help us out (FTF? Fail to Feed? Fail to Fire? Nose up? Nose down? Double feed? What's it doing?) I would first check that the firing pin isn't bent.

4. lsi1

lsi1 Member

disassemble?
    clean?
    maybe both then reassembled with springs bound up somehow?

5. cicpup

Vermont
    Might want to add "Oil?"

6. I adjusted the tabs on the mag because I noticed that the round was not sitting square, it was angled to the left pretty good while looking at the round from the primer side while in the mag and the round seemed really loose. that's what I thought was the problem. now that the rounds sit properly it seems to work fine, just not in my 380. FTF in this case ment fail to feed. I actually just went to the range to try a few mags and while filming I could see the round through the ejection port with the nose up. and there has been a few double feeds. firing pin is straight and looks in good shape. let me know what else I should mention, im kinda new to the sport and might be over looking the obvious.

7. I will try a little more oil, I can say I was not spraying the heck out of it cause I was concerned that to much oil could thicken as it collects with residue. I've been going with a lite sheen, pretty much spray on some RemOil then wipe with a clean cloth but not removing all of it. I try to get every moving part and any two surfaces that touch. so far I have cleaned after every time ive been to the range.

8. got 750 rounds through my CF380 and I'm still having all the issues ive described is this thread. tried more oil and tried very little oil, no change.. ammo does not matter and keeping it spotless does not matter. something new I did notice is how the rounds are sitting in the mag, they are not in a nice straight line, more of a zig zag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

please help, id like to keep this gun it fits really good in my hand. and I like the way it looks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  9. cicpup

Vermont
    Guide lips should guide. Not just wave the round in.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What cicpup said.

The front lips are way too wide.

Here's my fully functional .380 mag.

Attached Files:

11. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Is it just the shape of the projectile throwing me off or does it look like the whole front of the mag is belled out?

12. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

From his pic, I gotta say that mag is way belled out.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think maybe he can just roll the entire front lip inward, and fix that, I think the belling is only the lips and where they blend into the body of the mag.

I'd use needle nose pliers, grip along the length of the lip, plier handles sticking out toward the front, and twist the whole thing inward a bit.

14. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Maybe even a set of channel locks or vice grip clamps so he can set the gap and doesn't squeeze them in too far.

15. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

You have said your magazines worked fine in your friends CF-380, so why are you messing with the mags? You have a gun issue. I would call and get a replacement firing pin & ejector assembly from MoM. NO need messing with the mags, but oh, you have already worked on them? Might as well get a few more mags while your at it!
    I don't know why people start fooling with their mags 1st & then come on here and ask what to do? I know, I know, somebody a long time ago said that HP's have mag problems. Out of my 63 Hi Points, I have only polished 1 feed ramp & tweaked on one magazine before I figured out that I am not a gunsmith & DON'T play one on TV. I have actually changed out 6 or 7 firing pins & ejector assemblies to fix a poor shooting HP.

16. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

But his mags definitely have a problem from his pictures

17. MachoMelvin

But I think the picture was taken after he started tweaking the magazines?

18. this is how the mag came with the gun brand new. reading around on this forum is where I got the suggestion to bend the tabs in. I started to adjust the mags after I took the picture. what you see is what I got from hi-point.

19. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

I don't have a 380 but I hope you'll come back and update us on the fix.
    Out of the JHP,C-9 and the twin 4595TS's I've had to adjust a few magazine lips but also had to do a few other owner fixes that this forum educated me about, saved me and others lots of time we spent at the range.
    Thanks for posting.

20. MachoMelvin

I would send those mags back to MoM. They look like Jake from State Farm!