Polishing Feedramp & Throating the Barrel on a C9

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Grassafrass, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Grassafrass

Grassafrass Guest

I am considering polishing the feedramp, and throating the barrel on my C9. A friend of mine had it done on several of his automatic pistols, and recommends that I do it to mine. I know a great gunsmith here in town who'll do the whole job for $60.
    I'm not sure. Will this void the warranty on my firearm?
    Will just polishing the feedramp, and NOT throating the barrel void the warranty?

I'd like to get some opinions.

What'd'ya' think?
    Pros, cons?

Thanks!

2. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

pretty much nothing you can do or have done to the gun will void the warrenty.

3. 45Man

45Man Member

Feed ramp? Why not! Do it yourself.
    http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=756

Barrel throating? Not necessary.
    Barrel throating is usually reserved for 1911's

IMHO. Spending $60 on gunsmithing for a $160 handgun is a waste of money.

4. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

polish the feed ramp yourself, or shoot 500 rounds through it to do it naturally, but leave the rest of the gun alone and shoot it as designed and you'll be plenty happy.

5. Grassafrass

Grassafrass Guest

I have already put 500 rounds through my C9 (probably 700-800), and the feedramp still looks almost perfect - no paint chipping, marring, or even scractches that I can tell. Is that weird? Should I just leave it?

The reason I wanted to polish the ramp is, I want it to chamber perfectly every time. It used to jam occasionally, so I adjusted the lips on the mags, and switched ammo, and it hasn't jammed in 200+ rounds.
    An occasional jam was no big deal at the range, but since it is now my CCW, I need there to be ZERO% error, 100% of the time, so I'm working towards that... (aren't we all!?).

Thanks for all the great help and advice!

6. BSK

BSK Guest

someone explain me what throatening of the barrel means!

7. GrumpyDad

GrumpyDad Guest

I have asked b4 and got no response. Could someone please explain to me how to polish the feed ramp and adjust the feed lips on my C9? I have read on many threads that this helps with jams and also lets the gun feed faster. Thanx for any help in advance.

8. Grassafrass

Grassafrass Guest

GrumpyDad Wrote "Could someone please explain to me how to polish the feed ramp and adjust the feed lips on my C9?"

I actually just polished my feedramp, and adjusted my mags this morning! It's sweet. I learned everything from reading this forum, and figuring out by trial&error. I know very little about guns in general, and these Hi-Points have been a learning process for me, in a way. That being said... here are my opinions on the matter.

On this C9, there are two things that I adjusted on the mags.

1) the back lips, that hold the round down in the mag - bending these out seems to make the rounds feed faster... bending them in, feeds slower.

2) the front lips (near the tip of bullet) - bending these in seems to make the round sit lower (less angled up), and thus chambers lower. If your rounds are jamming "tip-up", this may remedy that. Bending them out seems to make the round angle up more, may fix hard to chamber 1st rounds.

Feedramp - I stuck cotton down the barrel and taped off the receiver., then I used a air rotary tool, first with an abrasive attachment to take the black paint off, then polished it with polishing compound using a cone shaped buffer attachment... Cleaned off all the compound with denatured alcohol on q-tips, and then removed all the tape and the cotton, ran a swab down the barrel, oiled it, re-assembled it, and then ran 100rnds through it.
    There are great posts in the "tech tips" section of this forum. That is where I learned all this stuff from. Here's one on polishing your feedramp.
    http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=756
    [/quote]

Good luck!

9. GrumpyDad

GrumpyDad Guest

Thanx alot "GrassaFrass". I thought that's what I had to do on the mag but I had no clue on the feed ramp, hopefully this will help. I usually only have about 1 or 2 jams every 100 to 150 rounds. Again thanx for the help. :D :D