Polishing the Breech Bolt

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by ToddGray, Feb 21, 2008.

1. ToddGray

ToddGray Guest

Here is a mail interchange between Bushman98 and myself regarding polishing the breech bolt to a high shine... to make it look, shall we say, more professional.

For now, I'm definitely heeding his advice, however, if we can find this "phantom polisher," I would really like his input (and some pics). What do you all think about this idea and have you tried or thought to do this? If you have done it, please, please, post some pics and maybe a review/howto.

2. I"m not going to argue with Bushman on technical grounds, as he's a lot more knowledgeable then me. So I'll simply agree: no polish.

I do feel free, however, to comment on aesthetic matters, and IMHO: no polish. :D

I think that if you want to put the extra effort into dolling up these internal parts (and, hey, I feel your desire!) the breech bolt would look better matching the the receiver shroud. But: YMMV.

3. ToddGray

ToddGray Guest

Hmm, has anybody tried any modifications to the bolt? How about manufacturing a new one out of steel... would that be possible? ... would it be blasphemy?

4. I dont see why that would not be possible. As long as its the same weight and not any larger than the overall dimentions... I guess it could be done.... but the true question is why would you?

5. Polishing bolt face

I just now read this thread.. should have done that earlier,

The idea is not really to take "any substantial" material off the bolt face (we're talking bolt face, not the bolt body", but to smooth off tooling marks and "ridges or scratches" that could hinder the bolt from smoothly engaging the back of the round from the magazine and smoothly feeding it into the chamber of the barrel.

Theoretically if the bolt face is "rough" the edge of the rim on the round as it comes off the magazine could "catch" and cause the round to "stick" on the bolt face and you would have a jam where the round is pinched between the bolt face and the ramp to the chamber (classic FTF symptom).

If the bolt face is "smooth" the rear edge of the rounds rim will slide up the bolt face as the round moves forward and the edge of the rim will slide up behind the extractor fingers. You never want the round to jump forward of the fingers and then have the bolt push the extractor fingers out and around the rim of the cartridge.

I haven't examined the bolt face very closely but, on most Zinc based bolt assembly weapons, there is a plate of steel that is inbedded into the Zinc Block and that is the actual bolt face for the round. This is to make sure the round is backed against a solid hard surface, and also to lessen the wear and tear of the bolt face. Without this plate, the Zinc is so soft, it would wearout in a heart beat with repeated rubbing of the cartridge rims against it. Thats is my theory.

Now, as a discount to that theory, the ramp on the barrel is in two parts, the bottom part is made of Zinc like the frame and bolt. There is a distinct line where the Zinc and the Steel of the barrel come to gether on the ramp. This is why I believe the factory says "let them polish" the ramp rather than the customer. Only to prevent the customer from over "polishing/grinding" the ramp part that is made of Zinc. That would definitely make "chambering" a round probamatic.

Anyway.. next time you take the carbine down for cleaning and you pull the bolt off, look at the bolt face and see if it is indeed two parts. I'll do the same next time I take it apart.

As an aside, if I were to "polish" the bolt face, it would only be to the extent of making sure it was smooth and didn't have any burrs on it specially at the firing pin hole and at the bottom of the bolt face, that is probably where most of the burrs might be that would cause the round to get "caught".

Did that help any?.. GRIN

Take care and have fun,

TexasBullFrog

6. Ari

Ari Guest

If it ain't broke don't fix it :D

7. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

Now Ari, what kind of attitude is that? :)

If Bushman had had that kind of attitude would we have his new trigger or bolt? Would Hi-Point themselves be making a new stock for the carbines? Hmmm?

j/k

Tom

8. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

[​IMG]
    If it ain't broke...take it apart and fix it.

Of course the whole voiding warranty thing doesn't apply to HP, but you get the idea.

btw, for any of you fellow modders out there, here's the link.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/8f52/

9. I would so get that shirt if I wasn't such a cheap bastard. $15 for a T shirt!!!... I can get 3 for that price.

10. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop Guest

I don't know if it would help anything by polishing the entire bolt, but I did disassemble my 995 before I ever put a round in it and smoothed all of the working surfaces with some smooth files. I took a lot of burs off of things and that helped the action. I also cleaned a large amount of machining chips out of everything at the same time.

11. ^ I did the same thing, but that was just to polish it up after firing a thousand or so rounds!

12. 47:

Not a T-shirt guy, but -- D***N_ if I don't love the shirt and the comment:
    If it ain't broke...take it apart and fix it.

That's a tagline waiting to happen, but since I don't rip off the efforts of others, I'll pass.